Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreacherCain

Quote from: Goaty on 01 August, 2012, 07:17:20 AM
Yeah and The Raid got $4 Million American Box Office!

Relatively speaking that's a pretty great number for a foreign-language film with very limited distribution. Dredd will have better distribution through Lionsgate so should (!) do better in pure box office.

P.T. Anderson's new film The Master has also been scheduled for a Sept 14th/21st release now too.

PreacherCain

Also $4 million in the US alone (not incl. the rest of the world) is four times the films budget, an impressive feat and one most big-budget films would struggle to deliver! I don't think it's really fair to compare the films on pure box office without taking into account no. of screens; the most screens The Raid played on for one week was something like 800, every other week it was a lot less; TDKR is playing on 3500+ for about a month straight in comparison! I presume Dredd will be somewhere in the middle of those two extremes; it may make more money but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's more profitable or successful.

Hopefully it will be. I don't think it's a competition between the two anyway. The only film the comparisons are likely to damage is the mooted English-language remake of The Raid!

TordelBack

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 01 August, 2012, 05:49:39 AM
I just found out why it will take so extreme longer in my country until Dredd will come out.
They will cut it down to 88min, and Age:16....
I am very.very.very.very disappointed... *biting teeth and leaving*

Woah, that's poor.  Bad luck, KUI.

Goaty

I just found out why it will take so extreme longer in my country until Dredd will come out.

Know what that's means? Time to plan to visit the nearest where it got uncut Dredd!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: PreacherCain on 01 August, 2012, 08:34:11 AM
Hopefully it will be. I don't think it's a competition between the two anyway. The only film the comparisons are likely to damage is the mooted English-language remake of The Raid!

The idea of anyone remaking The Raid saddens me, there's no way anyone will recapture what made that film great.

Goaty

Good article of Comic Book Recourses interview with John Wagner about 35 years of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, and DREDD 3D.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40172

You recently got a chance to see "DREDD." How do you rate it?

Here's what I said on my Facebook page:

"I went up to London yesterday to see the completed 'Dredd' film. What a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so)."

That still holds good. I've removed the one minor negative from my comment because people strangely, despite all the positives, focused on that and made far too much of it. I liked the movie. It was, unlike the first film, a true representation of Judge Dredd. Did it exceed expectations? Yes. Karl Urban was a fine Dredd and I'd be more than happy to see him in the follow up. Olivia Thirlby excelled as Anderson. Lena Headey was very convincing as the villain of the piece.

I'm not aware that they made that many changes. A few tweaks to the uniform. The character and storyline are pure Dredd.

How much does it matter to you if the new "DREDD" film is more successful than the original?

When the first movie flopped, the head of steam "2000 AD" and related publications had been building up evaporated fairly quickly, so it's obviously important. I think the new movie has a vastly better chance of succeeding. Nobody could watch it and say, "That's not Dredd."

Were you asked to help write the script at any point?

I was a consultant. There may be a line here or there of mine, or a plot suggestion that was adopted, but it's pretty much Alex Garland's story all the way. He was an old time Dredd fan, so that helped enormously.

If "DREDD" does well, are there any "2000 AD" storylines or characters you would like to see be brought into the Dredd film universe?

I think Alex's original script used Death and the Dark Judges. I hope that a future one will actually feature them. Visually, they'd be terrific.

David Cronenberg directed the film version of your graphic novel "A History of Violence." How was the experience of getting that film made different from "DREDD?"

In my experience, at least the way movies work, is that once they've obtained the rights they don't want to hear from you again. That's why working with DNA ["DREDD's" production company] was so unexpected and very refreshing.

dweezil2

Let's hope the BBFC don't get scissor happy or the distributer insists on cuts to secure a lower certificate! :-\
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

judgeblake

wait, did I misread something or get the wrong end of the stick.....did someone say The Raid is getting a remake????!!!!!

Stan

Where are you from, again? Get yourself over to a London meet.

Quote from: Goaty on 01 August, 2012, 11:10:52 AM
Good article of Comic Book Recourses interview with John Wagner about 35 years of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, and DREDD 3D...

:cool:

Goaty

From Icon Film Distribution Australia

judgeblake

now THAT'S Dredd!!!!

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 01 August, 2012, 11:10:52 AM
Good article of Comic Book Recourses interview with John Wagner about 35 years of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, and DREDD 3D.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40172

From that article, an example of the PURE CLASS that is John Wagner:

QuoteThere have been many, many writers over the years who have been called "the next John Wagner." What does that phrase mean to you?

Never heard the expression, myself. I assume it means cynical, world-weary and grumpy. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

TordelBack

Jovus-blathering-Grud.  The spoiler tags are menat to be quotes.  When are we getting an edit function on this ruddy thread?

Stan

I wonder why Dredd's crying?

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2012, 05:26:00 PM
When are we getting an edit function on this ruddy thread?

^^^

Goaty

As lip-reader, it's looks like Dredd says "Creep"