Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreacherCain

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2012, 01:20:58 AM
Pretty sure Dredd took more than $28m, but still... Ouch.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

28.5 million, according to BOM. There's a lot of love for Dredd in the comments though. It probably will do quite well once its released on DVD/Blu-Ray etc.

Just looking at that site: Dredd had a budget of $50 million and Looper's was $30 million yet the latter film had two big name actors (and two decent sized names for supporting roles) as well as a really cool, futuristic looking city. There's quite a disproportionate difference in budget between those two films yet the one with the smaller budget and star salaries looked a lot more...well, more.

Fisticuffs

Both Bruce Willis and JGL are MASSIVE box office draws, replace them with two lesser known actors and I bet Looper wouldn't have done half as well.

Spikes

Quote from: PreacherCain on 16 November, 2012, 04:50:57 AM
as well as a really cool, futuristic looking city.

Didnt Dredd have that?  ;)

shaolin_monkey

It is a very disappointing result.  I really feel for Alex and everyone else involved in the production. 

Well, I'm going to continue to do my part.  I'll be buying both the DVD and Blu-Ray for myself on release (DVD to watch, Blu-Ray for when I eventually get a 3D telly), and I'll also be getting it as a late Xmas prezzie for some of my friends and family members.

I hope you're all going to do the same.  We may not have collectively been able to make it a commercial success at the box office, but we can damn well try and help it be a commerical success and cult classic on DVD and Blu-Ray! 

MR. ELIMINATOR

Yeah it really is a shame, the most frustrating part being it's so damn arsom. I haven't bought a DVD in ages but I will be getting Dredd. And I will try make as many people watch it as possible, even if I have to tie them to a chair and cello-tape their eyes open.

I am pretty sure this already counts as a cult classic as it has a small but dedicated following?

Teivion

Likewise- I saw the opening part in German in one of the Youtube links posted earlier, just looked and sounded amazing, actually even better than I remembered !

You dont make a cult classic, a film becomes one, so hopefully DVD sales will reflect the popularity the film deserves.

Currently, there is a HUGE community of people going to two of the main US Comic Cons next year dressed as Judges- the fan base looks to be becoming well established already.....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2012, 01:20:58 AM
Pretty sure Dredd took more than $28m, but still... Ouch.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

28.5 million, according to BOM. There's a lot of love for Dredd in the comments though. It probably will do quite well once its released on DVD/Blu-Ray etc.

It's over $36 million since a few weeks ago:

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/dredd-2012?q=dredd

Steve Green

Comparing Looper and Dredd, bear in mind that 3D took a sizeable chunk of what was available to spend on other things.

radiator

QuoteIt's over $36 million since a few weeks ago

That's what I thought.

Also still to open in a few territories, isn't it?

Also on the 'half glass full' side of things, the fact that it's already being lined up for a special event showing at the Prince Charles indicates cult status.

JOE SOAP

Just looking at that site: Dredd had a budget of $50 million and Looper's was $30 million yet the latter film had two big name actors (and two decent sized names for supporting roles) as well as a really cool, futuristic looking city. There's quite a disproportionate difference in budget between those two films yet the one with the smaller budget and star salaries looked a lot more...well, more.

Looper's total budget was around $60 million (marketing included). Alex Garland confirmed after the screening in London that the actual production budget for Dredd was $35 million. It was later rumoured that $20-25 million was spent on marketing which would make it around $55-60 million in total.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2012, 02:12:12 PM
Also still to open in a few territories, isn't it?

It opened in Germany and Switzerland yesterday. Belgium, Hungary and Japan still awaiting release.

junox

yeah  Joe was wondering about that Worldwide Gross: $36,097,247 .. DREDD has  been at that total since Nov 01, 2012   :-*     . I'm personally hoping that it  is nearer  the  $40,000,000 total now if not more . Think we will be surprised how well it does down under in Karl's home turf

The Sherman Kid

DREDD 2-Is the featured film this month in SFX's (issue #229) Wishlist double-pager.

You've got to love the guys at SFX, they are the gift that keeps on giving.. :thumbsup:

The Sherman Kid

I should post what it says.Same cast for Dredd and Anderson.

Top Five Reader requests
1# Keep it 18
2#More Judges
3#More of the Cursed Earth
4#2D
5#More Mega-City One

dweezil2

I see I get name-checked twice in Sfx regarding Dredd which is nice!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo