Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Teivion on 03 January, 2013, 09:40:41 PM
I didnt say I agreed with the link, I posted it as it just puts the argument in a nutshell. as a blatant troll, since I clearly don't agree with it, even though my own position makes no sense whatsoever.

FTFY.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Teivion

Jim,

My last comment on this.

posting that was hardly trolling.

Your response to it as above WAS.
I dont agree with you or your reasons, Ive said so in the other thread, and left it at that.

I didnt mention you at all, it was relevant to the thread, and wasnt saying anything that wasn't being discussed openly already.
You chose to take it personally, not me.

If you want to ignore me on here or something, great, its no loss to me.

Richmond Clements

Guys, can we dial it down a couple of notches please? Before the flames start..!

Don't make me enforce a group hug!

Tiplodocus

Steve isn't necessarilly a hypocrite. Maybe he is just REFORMED.

When napster first came on line I was shamefully lax at policing my teenage sons use of it. My thinking was that I used to record Lps etc. But then he started downloading industrial quantities of stuff. More than he could possibly listen to. And his mates would do the same. Barely a single sale of a cd between half a dozen of them.

That, amongst yhe key demographic for music sales, has got to have done harm.

If you can afford it, pay for it.

If it isnt available cheaply in the format you want, wait.

If it never becomes available cheaply in the format you want, make do.

That philosophy works for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 04 January, 2013, 09:49:13 AMThe ability to rip DVDs to watch on your computer or iPod isn't an unreasonable request at all, and is a million miles from torrenting everything without paying, and frankly it seems like a very fusty, old fashioned attitude to object to it. It'll probably be legal soon anyway, just as ripping CDs for personal use is now legal.
Depends on where you live. Ripping CDs to MP3 in the UK is not legal in the slightest, unless you have the written permission of the rights owner—we have no media-shifting fair-use laws in this country. All we have are limited time-shifting for recorded television shows, and theoretical legally allowed back-ups of 'computer software', although subsequent laws regarding not breaking DRM put such things into an infinite loop these days. (i.e. you have a legal right to back-up a videogame, but it's illegal to break any encryption on media, meaning the more recent law makes it impossible for you to back anything up).

The recent announcement by Vince Cable looks to make British copyright law rather more sensible. Fair-use will be allowed but very strictly for your own use (I've not looked into how families are affected by this, though), which should enable you to legally format-shift. I've no idea if you'd also be able to torrent something you already own, or if the law with specifically stipulate that you must do the format-shifting yourself. Regardless, any sharing whatsoever will still be utterly banned. (Orphan work also seems to be getting a rights overhaul, and in a manner less hideous than the original proposal. The aim now appears to be to enable legal archiving to begin in earnest—even though it's far too late for a lot of digital content—but offers reasonable protection for scumbag media companies using content without the rights to it, due to it being an orphan work—i.e. they couldn't be arsed finding out who owns it.)

NSFTM

torrents have stopped me buying some crap i would have otherwise bought.. I'll download , if i like it i'll buy it , if i don't, i won't

I would say i have i bigger CD collection and DVD collection than the average person(about 400 and 500 respectively), and that is in no small part to torrents.

I downloaded Game of Thrones, because i couldn't get it anywhere else, and i bought it the day it came out on blu-ray.

Torrents aren't necessarily all evil, its a great archive for things that are simply no longer physically available. 

It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

Steve Green

i sit on the fence - I don't have any expectations of my rights as a consumer. Sure I've ripped CDs to iTunes but I don't have an expectation that its my right, and I've never really bothered doing the same with DVD or BR, and to be honest I just don't care that much about media, or have that hoarder mentality any more.

I have little sympathy for consumers and content producers alike.

There have been corporations like Sony who produce both the hardware to enable copying and the content - they aren't really in a position to have their cake and eat it.

However I totally understand why IP owners want to to retain control of digital copies after companies like napster abused the lax protection on CDs.

There's not any moral high ground here.

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anyone of my position and vice versa, so I will leave it there.

shaolin_monkey

10 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D

radiator

Not for me - I'm seeing it again tonight in the cinema!

Rusty

So what are people's views on the use of torrents to obtain materials that wouldn't otherwise be possible to obtain for personal educational purposes?

Teivion

Quote from: radiator on 04 January, 2013, 03:03:38 PM
Not for me - I'm seeing it again tonight in the cinema!

Bought tickets but work/ family life balance says no  ;-(

At least it means 2 spare seats for someone to get a better view.

Goaty

OOh just saw Dredd TV advert when watch X2 on C4+1

Strangest it's said Monday, even it out next Monday, so people put it a day early? but the TV advert looks great as it little clip only featured Dredd like Blu-Ray trailer!

Spikes

Be nice if the release was brought forward. Either way, not long now!

Goaty

A week to go, Creeps!