Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

But still, brilliant news that its selling like hotcakes. We can shout that from the rooftops instead!

Hoagy

And there is hope of a prequel, via IDW's Year One?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

dweezil2

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 22 January, 2013, 05:45:39 PM
There is no sequel. No sequel will happen. No sequel.

Films are for making money. The Dredd film failed. There will be no sequel because people who invest in films now have proof that such an investment would be foolish.

To put it another way: there will be no sequel.

To sum up: there will be no sequel.

Sorry about that.

There's always that new Robocop movie!   ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dracula1

More like Robo Flop!

I hear Arnie's new action movie has done badly in it's opening week.  :o

vzzbux

Quote from: dracula1 on 22 January, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
More like Robo Flop!

I hear Arnie's new action movie has done badly in it's opening week.  :o
No one wants to see action movies at the flicks by the looks of things. Will probably do well on blue ray.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spaceghost

Can I just ask without being condescendingly talked down to for not EVEN having extensive knowledge of the film industry and its workings - is it impossible that a sequel will happen on the strength of prolonged, strong DVD/Bluray sales?

I only ask because it seems to me that after, not one, but two pretty shit and un-watched Punisher film, a third (also reputedly quite shit and un-watched) film somehow ended up getting made. I realise that the budget for a Dredd film would be bigger, is that what would put the dampers on it?

If someone could calmly and patiently address these questions, posed by a layman, I would appreciate it.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Molch-R

Quote from: Lee Bates on 22 January, 2013, 09:56:27 PM
Can I just ask without being condescendingly talked down to for not EVEN having extensive knowledge of the film industry and its workings

Others can reply to the rest of your question, but this is somewhat unfair - the only people we've been condescending to are those that, with plenty of straight forward evidence why there won't be a sequel, continue to post exactly the same stuff, over and over again. I have no problem with people asking questions, it's when they don't listen to the answers that bothers me.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Molch-R on 22 January, 2013, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 22 January, 2013, 09:56:27 PM
Can I just ask without being condescendingly talked down to for not EVEN having extensive knowledge of the film industry and its workings

Others can reply to the rest of your question, but this is somewhat unfair - the only people we've been condescending to are those that, with plenty of straight forward evidence why there won't be a sequel, continue to post exactly the same stuff, over and over again. I have no problem with people asking questions, it's when they don't listen to the answers that bothers me.

I wasn't particularly accusing anyone of condescending to anyone else, I was just trying to cover myself from being lumped in with others. I haven't seen any of this evidence you mention either, apologies if it's already been covered, I don't get on the forum much these days.

Just pre-emptive defensiveness on my part I suppose.

Anyway, this here evidence for there being no sequel (sob), where might it be?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Steve Green

I think the Punisher is an anomaly and an effort for Marvel to have their 'Batman' - there's a rumour of another attempt to reboot him in 2014.

The main reason for no sequel is Alex Garland's $50million at the US Box Office for starters stipulation, and it failed by a wide margin to hit that.

I don't really need to know more than that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rusty on 22 January, 2013, 05:41:37 PMI don't think Serenity was made with sequels in mind anyway.
Apart from the fact at the time, those involved specifically said they hoped it would be the start of a film series. Had Serenity made $150m at the box office, I'll bet we'd have seen another film long before now.

Quote from: Lee Bates on 22 January, 2013, 09:56:27 PMCan I just ask without being condescendingly talked down to for not EVEN having extensive knowledge of the film industry and its workings - is it impossible that a sequel will happen on the strength of prolonged, strong DVD/Bluray sales?
Is it impossible? No. Is it even remotely likely? No. I suspect Dredd won't have prolonged high sales, for a start. It's already rapidly falling down the US iTunes chart, for one. I suspect it'd done way better than people thought, and clawed back some of the losses, but I'll eat my hat if it's still number-one and selling like hot cakes after a month.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 January, 2013, 11:02:41 PM
I think the Punisher is an anomaly and an effort for Marvel to have their 'Batman' - there's a rumour of another attempt to reboot him in 2014.

The 2004 film made 3.5 times its budget through box-office and DVD, that's a nice anomaly, but the idiots forgot to follow it up with a better film.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 January, 2013, 12:06:03 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 22 January, 2013, 11:02:41 PM

The 2004 film made 3.5 times its budget through box-office and DVD, that's a nice anomaly, but the idiots forgot to follow it up with a better film.

Even there was unofficial The Punisher: #DIRTYLAUNDRY on YouTube last year, here the link again to refresh your mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 January, 2013, 11:59:07 PM
but I'll eat my hat if it's still number-one and selling like hot cakes after a month.

In fairness, few films keep the top spot. In the meantime, if they manage to squeeze out a decent steelbook with more 'stuff', it could get back in the top 10.

COMMANDO FORCES

Enough of this sequel bollocks. We all know it'll be a reimagining ;)

judda fett

After the Stallone film I was surprised we got Dredd in the end. I wouldnt rule anything out and hope we get a few more fan films out in the meantime. My Minty cherry is just over a month away whoot!