Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Minty/Dredd crossover. Where two worlds collide.

Minty, Edmund Dehn, sees a blinding flash over to the East, something has happened to Mega City One. He sets off to find out what. He encounters a small group of survivors, everyone is confused but all agree that Judge Death has destroyed Mega City One.

Reaching where the West wall should be Minty finds rubble, but not too much further ahead he can see the West Wall. He finds an unconscious Cassandra Anderson, Integra Fairbrook.

Inside the City there is devastation, huge, organic looking mega-blocks have erupted throughout the city, flying cars and Jimps with huge shoulder pads. Dredd, Karl Urban, and Anderson, Olivia Thirlby have to contend with a Block War between Gavin Leahy Block and Pete Wells Block, apparently started over 10 Credits and an auction.

No one can confirm sightings of the Dark Judges.

But who, or what, is the mysterious villain behind the collision of these two worlds. And why does he have a big cellar?
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 22 January, 2013, 06:30:21 PM
Truly astonishing.

I am struggling to reply in a polite way so I will try to keep my mouth shut.

Except: there is no sequel.

Well just by saying that I guess you're implying I am stupid or something, and maybe I am. But all I am arguing is that there is still a chance there could be sequel, as oppose as there definitely won't be. There are reasons why one could happen, as there are reasons why one probably won't happen, but you can't say that one definitely won't happen. No one can predict the future so no one can say for sure, regardless of knowledge of the film industry.

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 January, 2013, 06:39:28 PM
One of those mentioned hasn't been made yet, and the other took 4 years because it was being done on almost no budget, neither of them would be considered a sequel.

Yes, you may get the odd fan-film but, but having done it and literally having the t-shirt, it's an excruiatingly slow process.

And as Joe says, you still have to find people willing to do pre-production, all the production manager side, do post-work for free or find a lot of money to pay them - Cameras are the easy bit.

And before someone mentions crowd-sourcing, there are then complications since it's not your IP, and not something I'd particularly be interested in, I'd rather do something of my own.

It's just straw-clutching.

I wasn't saying there should be a fan sequel per se, but using it as evidence that there are plenty of people who love Dredd, want to see a sequel to Dredd, and have talent. I don't think a movie needs to be as high $35 million to make a decent movie. Yeah Dredd has the disadvantage of being a sci-fi so it would cost more, but like I said in my last post, a movie set in the cursed earth surely can't cost as much to create a future city.

A chase movie across a baron waste land would be ace. Kill a couple of muties here, kill a couple of fleeing perps from the big meg there (the reason for being out there), see a cgi skeleton of Satanus, battle and defeat big bad guy, drag the corpse back to the beg. Mix in Dredd battling the elements and some psychedelia future drum and bass sountrack and hey presto you've got your self a cool film.

Richmond Clements

FFS, THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 January, 2013, 07:51:04 AM
You're a bad man.

The sequel will based on 'Bad Man'? That would be a prequel, surely?

Does that mean we're getting a sequel and a prequel?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Where's the tower, where's the gun, where's the tower, where's the gun...

Steve Green

There'd be a nuclear war and people would still be asking about a sequel, Richmond.

On the upside, sets wouldn't be a problem.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 23 January, 2013, 02:46:17 AMI am arguing is that there is still a chance there could be sequel, as oppose as there definitely won't be.
It's hard to disprove a negative, and never is a long time. But there's a chance of Dredd 2 in the same way there's a chance Reading will win the Premier League this season.

QuoteI don't think a movie needs to be as high $35 million to make a decent movie. Yeah Dredd has the disadvantage of being a sci-fi so it would cost more, but like I said in my last post, a movie set in the cursed earth surely can't cost as much to create a future city.
$35m really isn't much. Bear in mind the existing Dredd movie had, for the vast majority of the film, a very limited set, and location shoots are often hideously expensive. If there was another Dredd and it had to be even cheaper, it would presumably have to either be a dodgy CGI-fest or again be something 'in block' rather than opening out to the city. In other words, it'd probably be a retread, but with a lower budget, and I'm not sure I'd want to see that.

radiator

Bear in mind that if a lower-budget sequel got the go ahead (straight to DVD or whatever), it's likely that the key players (on both sides of the camera) behind the first film probably wouldn't even want to return.

In that case, I'd rather have no sequel at all.

radiator

Maybe someone should make a sticky thread with a big NO and a comparison of Dredd's box office takings to other films that we can link to whenever someone starts a new thread asking whether there will be a sequel (which is going to happen a lot over the next few years).

Fantasy sequels would make a good topic for an at comp, though.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2013, 10:52:09 AMIn that case, I'd rather have no sequel at all.
Exactly. At the very least, you'd want Urban as Dredd, Garland at the very least having input into the script, and Dod Mantle. I'd also want to see Wagner consulting, and, ideally, Leonard-Morgan in the mix. This film was a risk for most of them, and although it failed commercially, it didn't critically. That's a pretty important factor. However, DNA's now been stung more than once with risky sci-fi (Sunshine also having not don't terribly well in cinemas) and so I just don't see them going for something where the funds don't make sense.

One thing that is positive, though, is Rebellion's role in this. A horrible low-budget 'new' Dredd is only going to happen if the Kingsleys go crazy one day after taking in far too many Jelly Babies and on a whim sell off the Dredd rights to someone who shouldn't be allowed within a mile of them. And given what they've done during the time since they snapped up 2000 AD, I think we can be safe in the knowledge that that is definitely not going to happen. Better no follow-up Dredd than a crap one.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
Maybe someone should make a sticky thread with a big NO and a comparison of Dredd's box office takings to other films that we can link to whenever someone starts a new thread asking whether there will be a sequel (which is going to happen a lot over the next few years).

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

vzzbux

Agreed.  We have been spoilt with a fantastic movie and for it to follow up with a crass low budget Straight to DVD without the same cast and crew would be disasterous.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Trout

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 23 January, 2013, 02:46:17 AM
Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 22 January, 2013, 06:30:21 PM
Truly astonishing.

I am struggling to reply in a polite way so I will try to keep my mouth shut.

Except: there is no sequel.

Well just by saying that I guess you're implying I am stupid or something, and maybe I am.

I am implying that you are not listening, and wilfully refusing to listen because you don't want to hear the truth. I am saying that I am trying not to be rude to you. I am increasingly tempted to be rude.

I accept that it is possible for a rich person to spend a squillion dollars on a fanwanky Dredd sequel, but it is also possible that Kylie Minogue will take experimental hormone treatment that leaves her in a state of uncontrollable sexual need, then become lost in rural Scotland and knock on my door looking for directions to an obscure Australian town that happens to be called Very Loud Orgasm. Sadly, it is not going to happen.

Let's do this again, and this time I'd like you all to image the refrain of the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen, with the word "future" replaced by the word "sequel".

NOOOOOO SEQUEL.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SEQUEL.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SEQUEL FOR YOOOOUUUUU.

Best wishes

- Trout