Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

My god - dog eating bodies!!  That's nuts!  What an amazing gruesomely dark funny bit I did not notice!!

Keef Monkey

In that Garland interview, when asked about reshoots he says this...

"One was the introduction to Dredd, really, where he corners a guy in a shopping mall and uses a kind of incendiary bullet to take him down. That was a completely different new scene that didn't exist before. "

Anyone know what the scene was intended to be before the reshoot? Was there a different resolution or was the scene originally scripted to end with the car chase maybe?

Michaelvk

Just found this on Bloodydisgusting..

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Fisticuffs

I believe that originally he shot through the hostage to kill the hostage taker, inflicting a non-fatal wound, Robocop style. I think that this was deemed to similiar to Robocop and hence removed?

I remember seeing a photo from what I assume was the original take of the face off with Mama. Mama was pictured with a rifle in her hands, looking like she was turning towards Dredd. This was obviously changed in favour of the ending we got to see, don't know what specifically was originally meant to happen though, was it in the leaked script?

radiator

The scene as originally written was that Zwirner would flee the scene of the crash and disappear into a crowd of bystanders. Unable to get a clear shot, Dredd selects 'armour piercing' and shoots through a civilian to peg Zwirner with a fatal shot. Dredd calmly informs the wounded civilian that he placed the shot so as to miss any vital organs, and that paramedics would be with them shortly. Control would ask Dredd "Is your pursuit resolved?", then there is a pause where the camera pans round at the scene of utter carnage - the burning wreck, bodies everywhere, then Dredd would reply - completely deadpan - "Yes".

Would have been brilliant, if a little too overtly Verhoevenesque. I believe it was changed to help make Dredd a little more likable - they wanted to have a scene where we see Dredd as the hero - and hence we get the shopgirl saying "Thank you, judge".

Btw, did anyone else recognise Zwirner from District 9 - he played one of the talking heads at the beginning and the end of the film.

radiator

QuoteThis was obviously changed in favour of the ending we got to see, don't know what specifically was originally meant to happen though, was it in the leaked script?

I believe Ma Ma's bomb was added in reshoots - presumably to up the stakes and give a more tense ending.

Fisticuffs

Ah I see, makes sense.

I didn't recognise him from District 9, and I love that film too. Shows how much a haircut and a totally different character can make somebody so unrecognisable! :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 25 January, 2013, 10:52:34 AM
I believe it was changed to help make Dredd a little more likable - they wanted to have a scene where we see Dredd as the hero - and hence we get the shopgirl saying "Thank you, judge".

I suspect the scene was intended to show to the audience what function a Judge actually performs, hence the deliberate declaration of sentencing: life without parole, death etc. none of which existed in the original scene, instead, he just shot Zwirner with no sentencing.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 25 January, 2013, 10:54:00 AM
QuoteThis was obviously changed in favour of the ending we got to see, don't know what specifically was originally meant to happen though, was it in the leaked script?

I believe Ma Ma's bomb was added in reshoots - presumably to up the stakes and give a more tense ending.

There's no bomb plot in the original leaked script and the reshoots of December 11th were located in Ma Ma's apartment and involved several pages of script icluding shots of the device on Ma Ma's arm. Plus Dredd's affirming 'Yeah' shot was one of the new shots at the reshoot.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 25 January, 2013, 10:47:43 AM
I remember seeing a photo from what I assume was the original take of the face off with Mama. Mama was pictured with a rifle in her hands, looking like she was turning towards Dredd. This was obviously changed in favour of the ending we got to see, don't know what specifically was originally meant to happen though, was it in the leaked script?

It was originally just a shoot-out, then Dredd throws Ma Ma through the window.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 January, 2013, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: radiator on 25 January, 2013, 10:54:00 AM

There's no bomb plot in the original leaked script and the reshoots of December 11th were located in Ma Ma's apartment and involved several pages of script icluding shots of the device on Ma Ma's arm. Plus Dredd's affirming 'Yeah' shot was one of the new shots at the reshoot.

The 'Yeah' line is one of my favourite moments in the movie, really glad they shot it in that case.

GordyM

Every time I re-watch this it's strangely enough Lena Heady's performance that I appreciate more and more (though Urban and Thrilby are fantastic, of course). It's the sense of sadness that infuses her performance that makes her all the more menancing and makes Mama stand out from the usual 'Ice Bitch' female villains we see in films.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Michaelvk

Quote from: GordyM on 25 January, 2013, 11:52:41 AM

...Thrilby...

What an awesomely appropriate spelling mistake..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Goaty

Nice to see "Minty Is The Law"

COMMANDO FORCES

I can't help myself but that bright (not subdued or dim) tracer fire seems to be coming from two angles. I can only hope that a few of them are ricochets :-X