Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 16 March, 2013, 10:00:40 PMIt does still seem odd that they didn't do this, more money for the 3D tickets sure, but why wouldn't you cover yourself by giving the option?
I imagine it was a gamble. Dredd was always going to be a movie that had a really quick boom and bust cycle at best, and as much money as possible needed to be grabbed on that opening weekend. 3D boosts ticket prices and enabled the flick to grab that number-one slot. The question is whether enough extra people would have gone to make up any shortfall had there been a bunch of 2D screenings. I do wonder what would have happened if Dredd had gone wide in 2D, but on a very limited number of showings per cinema—i.e. a couple of 3D showings in a typical modern multiplex, and maybe two or three 2D showings per day, in the evening. I suspect it probably wouldn't have made much difference (and certainly not enough to propel earnings into sequel territory—the dire US takings showed how that wouldn't have been possible).

radiator

Recent price cut propels Dredd back to no.1 at Play.com Blu Ray chart (and back up to no.10 on Amazon.co.uk).

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/6-/TopSellers.html

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 17 March, 2013, 11:50:18 PM
Do not fear Hawkmonger I have it from the horses mouth that he doesn't see it as petty sniping, in fact he has said this

when my local blockbuster closed down recently, i did go in especially to buy Dredd on dvd for £3, but they'd all gone. Asda had it for £7 the other week and i thought about it for a minute or so before buying the Richard Dawkins boxset instead for a tenner. I will buy Dredd when i see it cheap enough, but as i didnt like it very much- and have since stopped buying the comics- it's understandably not high on my list.

SBT has spoken!
Seem's a tad drastic just to convey how much he disliked an addaptation.  :|

sheldipez

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 March, 2013, 10:47:34 AM
Do not fear Hawkmonger I have it from the horses mouth that he doesn't see it as petty sniping, in fact he has said this

when my local blockbuster closed down recently, i did go in especially to buy Dredd on dvd for £3, but they'd all gone. Asda had it for £7 the other week and i thought about it for a minute or so before buying the Richard Dawkins boxset instead for a tenner. I will buy Dredd when i see it cheap enough, but as i didnt like it very much- and have since stopped buying the comics- it's understandably not high on my list.

SBT has spoken!

I'm hoping that the stop buying the prog was unrelated to the movie. Right?

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 March, 2013, 10:53:15 AM

SBT has spoken!

I'd like to think so. SBT may have had his own views which differed with others on here, but he's still a big miss on the forum in my honest opinion.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just watched the original trailer and it made me feel nostalgic already.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 March, 2013, 10:53:15 AM

SBT has spoken!

Thats a good point. If so, why?

Spikes

It may be that SBT has stopped buying the IDW run of Dredd comics? I doubt he's stopped buying the prog..

Hoagy

Dredd beats The Dark Knight Rises in the D section for most popular in the Box Office rentals listing on BTVision. A small victory.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Fisticuffs

The turgid pile of tripe that was Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters gets a sequel thanks to a large worldwide gross despite flopping in the US. :(

There is no god.

Stan

Michaelvk

It almost feels like the powers that be behind Dredd almost purposely went out of their way to make Dredd perform as poorly as possibly, in a 'Fine, we'll fund this movie but we're not going to enjoy it-and don't even bother asking about a sequel cos yer lucky to get this..' sort of way..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Hoagy

Half the gross from over a third of the screenings, certainly shows strength of character.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract