Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

Don't forget though, that shot at the end of the original Star Wars (fuck calling it episode 4), where the Falcon flies in to rescue Luke in the Death Star trench. That's the shot where lens flare CAME FROM, I say.
Never ever bloody anything ever

JOE SOAP

Quote from: DrRocka on 15 August, 2014, 01:05:33 AM
Don't forget though, that shot at the end of the original Star Wars (fuck calling it episode 4), where the Falcon flies in to rescue Luke in the Death Star trench. That's the shot where lens flare CAME FROM, I say.

Lens flare has existed since then invention of lenses and lens flare as part of a style in Hollywood films is apparent in films shot by Haskell Wexler and Conrad Hall in the 1960's.

Cool Hand Luke (1971)

JOE SOAP

Or rather Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Goaty

Even in a little film called Dredd (hear of it?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: DrRocka on 15 August, 2014, 01:05:33 AM

The whole Death Star assault sequence is Lucas' homage to WWII movies, as such the arrival of the Falcon is a deliberate callback to the 'coming in out of the sun' tactic. It's a lens artefact that most cinematographers work quite hard to avoid unless you want a specific effect — the sensation of being dazzled which is appropriate in the Falcon rescue shot, the Cool Hand Luke shot shown, and the one from Dredd.

Abrams use of it Star Trek was just fucking stupid.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

shaolin_monkey

The lens flare on Star Trek seemed to be mostly while on the bridge of the Enterprise, as if to say 'ooh look at all the pretty lights and colours, glass and plastic surfaces, isn't this all clean and cool, shiny and techie, and futuristic as hell?'  It wasn't that obvious on the planet at the start of the second film, or the Klingon homeworld, or on Earth during the Spock/Sherlock fight scene.  As such, you could argue it served a specific purpose, and it's just a matter of tatse whether you thought it was over-utilised during those specific scenes.

It annoyed me though.  It was like wearing dirty contact lenses.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 August, 2014, 03:54:07 PM
It annoyed me though.  It was like wearing dirty contact lenses.

I had to have my pupils dilated at my last eye examination... that's exactly what those lens-flarey sequences felt like.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

DREDD is showing as part of the Just About Movies festival at Tullibole Castle on Friday night I think.

I only have a ticket for the Saturday though - plus the missus*hated* it - so I won't be going to see it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

Goaty

COMMANDO FORCES

Taken from one of the lads who met Karl over at Dragon Con in Atlanta...

QuoteHe also mentioned that he's going to England soon to discuss possible financing avenues if a Dredd sequel could be greenlighted

Take from that what you want!

Goaty

Nice one, John! lol

Well he not busy at moment, is he?

Bat King

Surely you'll be seeing him while he is around Goaty...?
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Goaty

Perfect Shots ‏@OnePerfectShot on twitter, and they tweet one perfect shot of many films, and they did this yesterday, I agree with this Perfect shot;

The Bissler

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 September, 2014, 03:09:26 PM
Taken from one of the lads who met Karl over at Dragon Con in Atlanta...

QuoteHe also mentioned that he's going to England soon to discuss possible financing avenues if a Dredd sequel could be greenlighted

Take from that what you want!

I'll take it with a pinch of salt but I will not give up hope of a sequel one day...  I've waited 18 years for a new album from my favourite band (Faith No More) and that's happening now.  So never say never!