Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

I saw this book today (hey, I can't read 2000AD all the time).  The start seems very familiar.  What do you think?

The book was published in 2013 so the author could certainly have been influenced by the movie.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 August, 2015, 02:23:47 AM
Quote from: James Stacey on 18 August, 2015, 11:13:34 AM
Apparently Mr Urban was out drinking in Cardiff on Saturday, the same day Commando Forces chooses to visit our fair town. Coincidence ?

Karl Urban denies $16,600 Cardiff bar tab, seeks legal advice

I found out something re this on the weekend.  Karl is dating Katee Sackhoff.  She was in Cardiff filming that weekend.  I know, 'cos she went in my mates bar and signed a photo he has of her on the wall (Cardiffians may know FUEL well - ask Rob next time you pop in).

So it's possible Karl was accompanying her to Cardiff while she filmed. 

So no news re Dredd, but perhaps mystery solved re the Cardiff visit.

James Stacey

I think Rob was an extra in what she was filming.

Dandontdare

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 September, 2015, 12:30:32 PM

I found out something re this on the weekend.  Karl is dating Katee Sackhoff. 

If you can be arsed trawling through the previous few hundred pages of this thread, there was a link to some geek videocast with Katee Sackhof in which she discussed Dredd and confirmed they are an item.

Dandontdare

apologies for double post (EDIT function has vanished):

from Wikipedia; " Urban is currently dating Katee Sackhoff, which was confirmed by Sackhoff on the "Schmoes Know Movie" show on 29th January 2015."

radiator

The podcast of Birth. Movies. Death. (formerly Badass Digest) is currently doing a series of retrospectives based on future cops. Thought this one on Judge Dredd (1995) and Demolition Man might be of interest:

https://soundcloud.com/birthmoviesdeath/demolition-man-and-judge-dredd-the-rob-schneider-double-feature-extravaganza

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Woolly

Quote from: Beeks on 03 September, 2015, 06:37:53 PM
Is the John Wagner tweet about a sequel old news?

http://peeltheorange.net/2015/09/03/john-wagner-says-there-will-be-a-new-dredd-film/

Would've thought he means an unrelated film, sometime within the next 10 years.
Really hope I'm wrong though!

Jim_Campbell

Pretty sure there's nothing new here. Even Alex Garland says he thinks there'll be another film, it just won't be for a few years, and it won't be by him.

As I've said before: the main silver lining of Dredd's commercial disaster is that it's quite effectively 'de-stinking' Dredd as a cinema brand.

At some point, someone will feel brave enough to take a punt on another movie, but they'll be building on the solid critical reputation and strong fanbase of the 2012 movie, not trying to shake off the reputation of the '95 one.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I'm wondering if/when it happens there will be a push towards a more comic tone.

I like Dredd a lot, but the bleaker tone, and a comparatively straight approach seems like it's something that could work against a new film - seems to be debatable whether the stripped back approach helped or hindered at a commercial level.

I've lost count of the times Dredd 2012 was referenced with regards to police excess in the US over the past year. Having the distance of some of the elements of the comic, seems like it would be more successful and also maybe give a hint to those who take it as aspirational rather than satire.

Whether that would put off new fans of the 2012 film, I don't know - I imagine for a lot of them their main concern would be whether Karl Urban is in it or not...

dweezil2

The filmmakers could employ a similar template to the Mad Max movies.
Mad Max 1 was more of a straight revenge thriller, with the later films introducing the more surreal, absurdist elements.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

Like that other Sci fi classic Dune Dredd is difficult to make into a movie. It's 'hero' is an out and out fascist, the city is an urban hell hole and there is absolutely no hope in Mega City 1 or indeed in the cursed earth. Also recent events involving law enforcement in America may have made a tough Lawman, 'beating up the wrong guy' to quote Bowie unpalatable to a mass audience. Dredd seems more suited to TV where you could explore the happy dystopia over a few season rather than in a single film. Cheaper money wise to though I guess only HBO in some joint venture with a British TV channel would take on the dark menace of Dredds world.
Gotham's pretty dark stuff and is a comic related title so if it becomes established in the ratings perhaps a rival studio will look for something with a more adult audience in mind. Judge Dredd's world is set in the near future     in an urban environment so you wouldn't have to design to many expensive sets Game of Thrones style. Still it would be a gamble and I doubt anyone has the will or the finances at the moment to try it.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

You know of that Hilton Hotel in Manchester. As I am at Manchester for few days as work, I stay at hotel, and I photograph this on this morning - very familiar to some film...

Hawkmumbler

Urgh. Fuck ugly 'innit. Been a eye sore on the Manchester horizon for years now.

IndigoPrime

Urgh. What is it with modern Britain and building stupidly tall buildings? The London skyline now also looks like arse after all of Boris and his rich mates allowing horribly out of place structures to be constructed.