Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Angry Vince on 09 January, 2016, 11:40:33 PM
Not sure about the 'legally' though. Maybe if he took off the helmet, he was required to arrest himself?

According to Travis: "The contract from the guys who licensed the film to us said, 'Dredd cannot take off his helmet.' "

http://www.straight.com/movies/karl-urban-and-pete-travis-stay-true-dredd-3d

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Angry Vince on 09 January, 2016, 11:40:33 PM
And this just showed up...

Although Karl Urban has expressed the same sentiment that particular quote was not said by him but Pete Travis:

"If you'd grown up reading Dredd, you'd never really consider taking the helmet off," Travis told a small group of journalists during an interview at the recent Toronto International Film Festival. "It just wouldn't make sense. It would be like Batman going on TV and announcing his entire back story to the world. It doesn't make any sense at all. That was from my point of view, and Karl's point of view was exactly the same. He brought it up in the first meeting that we had."

http://www.straight.com/movies/karl-urban-and-pete-travis-stay-true-dredd-3d

Dash Decent

Watched the start of the movie yesterday.  I always love that in the 'hotshot' scene the Chinese eatery/nosh bar is Chu Hee Fat, i.e. "chewy fat"!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 January, 2016, 02:21:42 AM
Watched the start of the movie yesterday.  I always love that in the 'hotshot' scene the Chinese eatery/nosh bar is Chu Hee Fat, i.e. "chewy fat"!

I saw a number of the forum nods on the way in and it made me wonder about your avatar, Joe.  It's a photo now but where did the original cartoon one come from?  I've always assumed it was from the MAD Dragnet parody and I wondered if Reliance had to go to EC/Warner Bros to get permission to use it for your shot in the film.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Well, I stuffed up modifying the original post, didn't I?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

radiator

It's from the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons Future Shock story isn't it?

radiator

I heard a whisper the other day on another forum from someone who seemed to be implying some kind of insider knowledge that at one stage a Dredd sequel was very much on the cards (and that funding was in place for it), but that for various reasons it ultimately didn't pan out.

Obviously it's from an incredibly dubious source and is more than likely complete bollocks, but its not entirely beyond the realms of possibility either - Karl Urban did state a few years ago that 'discussions' about a sequel were actively being had.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2016, 04:26:06 AM
I heard a whisper the other day on another forum from someone who seemed to be implying some kind of insider knowledge that at one stage a Dredd sequel was very much on the cards (and that funding was in place for it), but that for various reasons it ultimately didn't pan out.

Obviously it's from an incredibly dubious source and is more than likely complete bollocks, but its not entirely beyond the realms of possibility either - Karl Urban did state a few years ago that 'discussions' about a sequel were actively being had.

This happened well over a year ago and I believe it to be close enough to the truth (the source of the info is believable) but unfortunately not all ducks could be lined-up to make it happen. It's one of the reasons why the hero props/costumes for all main characters -still alive after the first film- were being held back from the main ebay auction in 2013. These things happen with such complex productions and it's not always just about money but it does mean there was a level of confidence -money to be made- to try again.

Dash Decent

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2016, 04:19:42 AM

D'oh, That's right! (Slaps forehead) I knew that - though of course "Chrono Cops" was deliberately drawn as a nod to the early Kurtzman-era MAD comics. The detective was made to resemble their parody of the Joe Friday from Dragnet.  Even the Chrono Cops "CC" logo we see in the story is the EC logo with the middle bar of the E removed.

I should take a couple of pictures and post it in the Swipe file thread (under H for Homage, of course).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Angry Vince

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 January, 2016, 06:05:45 AM
Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2016, 04:19:42 AM

D'oh, That's right! (Slaps forehead) I knew that - though of course "Chrono Cops" was deliberately drawn as a nod to the early Kurtzman-era MAD comics. The detective was made to resemble their parody of the Joe Friday from Dragnet.  Even the Chrono Cops "CC" logo we see in the story is the EC logo with the middle bar of the E removed.

I should take a couple of pictures and post it in the Swipe file thread (under H for Homage, of course).

Of course! Who could forget Zanzibar Z Ziggurat?
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 January, 2016, 05:02:34 AM
Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2016, 04:26:06 AM

This happened well over a year ago and I believe it to be close enough to the truth (the source of the info is believable) but unfortunately not all ducks could be lined-up to make it happen. It's one of the reasons why the hero props/costumes for all main characters -still alive after the first film- were being held back from the main ebay auction in 2013. These things happen with such complex productions and it's not always just about money but it does mean there was a level of confidence -money to be made- to try again.

Blimey so there was interest in a sequel. I thought the Box Office numbers did for any D2 despite the very impressive DVD sales. Ah, what might have been.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

Interesting no talks about Dredd series on this forum, as this reporting on media site;

the fan movement for another live-action "Dredd" film has been reinvented. Now dubbed 'Bring Back Dredd,' the new campaign is calling out for fans to grab the attention of streaming platforms like HBO, Hulu, Amazon or Netflix in hopes that a sequel to the film can come in the form of a TV series. The petition is already at 136,000 signatures and you can add your name at this site.

Steve Green

Because it's nothing concrete, just changing the focus of the previous Make a Dredd Sequel to a TV series.

Alex Garland has moved on and stated that it would be someone else's crack at Dredd if something happened in the future.

Karl Urban has previously stated he doesn't want to do another TV series after Almost Human.

The film/tv rights revert to Rebellion within a year or so, as I understand it.

Goaty

Yeah, you're right. Nice there's fans out there. Good luck to them if they can make another Dredd.

dweezil2

Amazon have been doing great things with Man In The High Castle so a Dredd series could convince me to subscribe.

If a series did appear on Netflix it would make a nice change from all that Marvel guff too!

No Urban or Thirlby would be a loss, but maybe Urban would make an exception to his no more TV rule, if it was a limited mini-series and as he appears very attached to the character.

Regardless, I wish the campaign the best of luck and it's heartening to see 2000AD getting behind it too!

More exposure of the comic can't be a bad thing!

https://www.facebook.com/BringBackDredd/

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo