Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: ZenArcade on 18 February, 2015, 09:41:35 PM
How fucking stupid and wrong were those bunch of arrogant, ill reared shitbags. Throw the book at them....nah we have more important things to do over in Aylesbury: people are getting uppity over there, thinking they have rights and a stake in society. Z >:(
Bloody hell.

I know it's a small start, but if everyone who was this pissed off voted for a left-of-Labour party, it would make a difference. Labour might just realise they'd completely abandoned their base, left-wing parties would have a huge boost of confidence, and things might change.

Or we could keep going the way we have been going. Seems to be working.

Hawkmumbler

The Legendary Shark

I just found this essay, "Practising Islam in Short Shorts," and think it is worth sharing.
I believe very few, if any, of the people who use this thread are anti-Muslim or Islamophobic but still it's good to remind oneself why from time to time. The comments are also interesting.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

My solicitor has finally drafted a letter to the police, detailing the illegal things they subjected me to. It's only taken eight months but things finally seem to be moving...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Cameron say's he won't run for a third election? Let's see he doesn't get in the second time either!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 March, 2015, 05:17:52 AM
I just found this essay, "Practising Islam in Short Shorts," and think it is worth sharing.

It is. Thank you for that — I've also shared it on FB and Twitter. Sadly, I suspect it will be read by very few of the people who need to read it most.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2015, 07:26:54 AM
My solicitor has finally drafted a letter to the police, detailing the illegal things they subjected me to. It's only taken eight months but things finally seem to be moving...

Good to hear, Shark. Has it really only been 8 months? Blimey.

The Legendary Shark

Hawks, I think Cameron will leave politics as soon as he loses or steps down and accept his reward in the banking sector just like Tony Blair (etc.) did. If he was properly interested in our country, he'd stay on as an MP. But he isn't so he won't.
Jim, you're welcome and thanks for sharing the article around. I do think you're correct, though - those people who would benefit the most from reading it simply won't bother, which is frustrating and sad.
8 looooooong months, Tordels - and probably at least as long to go. Good thing I'm stubborn!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I still reckon my idea of keeping all politicians in jail for the duration of their time in office has legs.  Apart from anything else, they can only bum or murder each other instead of 8 year old boys.

ZenArcade

They never did that surley. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 March, 2015, 05:17:52 AM
I believe very few, if any, of the people who use this thread are anti-Muslim or Islamophobic but still it's good to remind oneself why from time to time. The comments are also interesting.

Thanks Shark.  What I found most interesting was the parallels with certain aspects of Christianity.

"My Islamic studies teachers taught me how to how to obsess about the mundane—about all the things I'm doing incorrectly and therefore my prayers will not be accepted. They taught me guilt. They taught me fear. They taught me that being a good Muslim is difficult."

As a practicing Christian I can seriously relate to this.  I know there is a lot in the Bible that is hard to get to grips with.  I read some parts with a sense of incredulity and listen to some Preachers with a sense of concern.  It's nice to know that fear and guilt are not uniquely Christian experiences.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Bear "Bear" McBear (bear) on 25 March, 2015, 11:47:08 AM
I still reckon my idea of keeping all politicians in jail for the duration of their time in office has legs.  Apart from anything else, they can only bum or murder each other instead of 8 year old boys.

Leads us Leader- the Golden tomorrow awaits!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

ZenArcade

That was a sweet link Shark, and is a worthy insight into an old and considered belief system from a modern perspective; opposed though I am generally against pangyerics in relation to religion (ex-catholic - proud athiest).

I fee there is a need in the world for reflection and (dare I say) introspection, but we have little if any need for a diety or extraperception system in order to internally or externally facilitate a state of mind. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Heh, I get into enough trouble on this site without going into my views on God, faith and religion! Suffice to say, there is only one of those three I reject...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]