Main Menu

Live in the US? Have access to a copy of Prog 2006? Want to do me a HUGE favor?

Started by The Adventurer, 15 February, 2006, 07:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Mr Pastry was offered the role of Doctor Who pretty much every time the lead actor left in the 60's and 70's. Towards the end of his life the actor who played him got a bit confused and kept telling the producer that 'Mr Pastry' wouldn't be suitable for the part.

Basically he was a One Man Chuckle Brother with better quality co-stars. For instance Buster Keaton did at least one show with him.

House of Usher

The only (black and white) Mr Pastry clip I ever saw featured an elderly man (like Clive Dunn, but scowling) doing physical comedy (in a circus - acrobatics on horseback, etc.) with a voice-over narration.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/m/mrpastry_7774580.shtml" target="_blank">How Mr Pastry Joined the Circus

STRIKE !!!

Grant Goggans

Oh, that's right.  I'm forgetting my Who nerdology.  The reason they introduced Harry Sullivan to Doctor Who in 1974 was because they were considering Richard Hearne to replace Jon Pertwee, and needed a younger man to handle the action scenes.

Mr. Pastry looks oddly charming in its quaint way, sort of like our Soupy Sales Show.  Thanks for the links, guys!

--Grant

IndigoPrime

Yeah, some eBay sellers are utter morons. I once won a magazine on eBay, which I needed to complete a collection of something I wanted to sell (something like Toxic). The mag cost a quid, and shipping was about the same. I told the person to clearly mark it as a gift, otherwise I'd get stung for import taxes (I was living in Iceland at the time, and didn't feel very guilty about depriving its postal service of a quid or so to import a 15-year-old magazine that had never been sold in that country).

Sure enough, idiot-face marks it up as 'merchandise' with a value of ?10. This, he explained when I sent him a furious email, was because it would have meant the package would have been worth more had it been lost. The fact that he'd not insured the sodding thing didn't dawn on him, apparently. The only thing his actions did was ensure that it cost me a whopping eight quid or so to import a magazine that was worth a fraction of that. Gnh!