Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 20 March, 2016, 11:59:16 AM
I thought his comments about Cameron and Osborne deliberately targeting the working poor because they were a group that would never vote Tory was interesting (if true), but otherwise I just couldn't believe a word of what he was saying because of who was saying it.

In 1997, just before Blair won his first election, I ws speaking to Caroline Spelman, Tory MP for the area I then lived in (still there, sadly as Minister for Agriculture). After speaking to her for just a minute, her hubby (bio-tech company director, purely coincidentally) came over and said "Come along dear, he will never vote for you anyway."  So it's good to see another Tory dispel the "all in this together" propaganda, even if I don't hold much stock in any morals leading to this grand admission

Modern Panther

Just because I thought it was hilarious, I'd like to share this interview from the ukip leader in Scotland.  This is the reason ukip don't play well north of the border.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/inside-politics/ukip-scotland-leader-david-coburn-sets-record-straight

The Legendary Shark

Another thing from 38 Degrees - for anyone who thinks the BBC is worth saving:

"Have a look at this:
http://38d.gs/1S254OI

"This is the biggest threat to the BBC so far. John Whittingdale, the minister who's deciding our BBC's future, just announced he wants the government to choose the people who run the BBC. It means our most trusted news source could become government controlled.

"Whittingdale sneaked out his devastating plan at the weekend, to a newspaper that's behind a paywall. He knows that another scandal might put a stop to his plans to undermine the BBC for good. So he'll be hoping that 38 Degrees members aren't paying attention.

"We've got to act fast. If enough us sign an emergency petition in the next 48 hours demanding the BBC stays independent, 38 Degrees members can deliver it to him in person. And exposing his plans in public will shine a light on his real agenda to dismantle our BBC.

"Will you add your name to the petition to keep the BBC free from government control? Just click the link and it'll take less than 1 minute:
http://38d.gs/1S254OI

"Thanks"
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

IndigoPrime

The smoking thing I get. I hate it (my uni days were spent reeking of smoke, and I like that I can today go into a pub and not leave with eyes streaming and desperately needing to WASH ALL THE THINGS), but I get it. But raising the drink-drive limit? That is mental. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that gem. Actually, on second thoughts, I probably wouldn't.

Modern Panther

It appeals to those who long for the golden days of the 1970s, when a bloke could finish work, down a couple of pints of bitter and drive home.  A simpler time when life was fair, music had proper lyrics, and women and foreigners did as they were told.

Bloody government, trying to cut the number of road deaths.  Do away with all legislation, that's what I say. 

GordonR

Quote from: Modern Panther on 08 April, 2016, 08:48:00 AM
It appeals to those who long for the golden days of the 1970s, when a bloke could finish work, down a couple of pints of bitter and drive home.  A simpler time when life was fair, music had proper lyrics, and women and foreigners did as they were told.

Bloody government, trying to cut the number of road deaths.  Do away with all legislation, that's what I say.

I like how they're trying to appeal to the ned vote by wanting to reverse the ban on air rifles.  When I was growing up, no trip across.a bit ofl wasteland or the abandoned railway sidings was complete without the whistling crack of some 15 year-old psychopath taking a potshot at you with his air rifle, in between his valiant attempts t o murder the local birdlife.

IndigoPrime

Most of the policies—like most of those of Tories and Brexiters—can be nicely summed up thusly:

ARE YOU A SELFISH PRICK? VOTE FOR US!

Old Tankie

You have to be selfish to want to leave the EU? You must be getting desperate!

TordelBack

The smoking ban must be one of the most successful health initiatives of recent years - since our workplace ban came in in 2004, smoking rates have dropped from nearly 1 in 3 of the population to almost 1 in 5.  That's an incredible change in a decade, even allowing for the contribution of all the other elements of the anti-smoking campaigns. And obviously the ban has effectively eliminated secondhand smoking in the workplace. Why would anyone want to risk undoing all that in the name of personal convenience?

COMMANDO FORCES

What does Corbyn think of the EU, as he's very quiet, especially as from what I've read and heard, he's against it.
Who would've thought that people who believe in democracy and laugh at that Dredd story, for the Judges are very undemocratic, would actually prefer to want to be ruled by an undemocratic political power.
We do live in strange times!

Professor Bear

I agree that while Corbyn has already said he supports remaining in the EU, he simply hasn't done enough for my personal satisfaction.  Kind of like that time he bowed at the Cenotaph, but not by enough degrees.  Or that time he sung all the words to the national anthem at the appropriate time and in a dignified manner befitting the occasion, but probably had thoughts inside the privacy of his own mind that I wouldn't approve of if I knew what they were.

The Legendary Shark

Historically, Europe was a collection of nation states all competing and trading (and yes, sometimes warring) with one another. There was free trade and healthy economic and social competition between sovereign states and if the people didn't like what was happening in their own state they moved to another.

By trying to homogenize Europe, imposing blanket regulations on everyone, controlling trade and banking and eliminating sovereignty, it could be said that the most anti-European body in Europe is the EU...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]