Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Baron Blood, a period piece by Mario Bava that captures an eerie feel and a memorably deformed menace. Not auteur Bava's best but a damn good watch

willthemightyW

The Hudsucker Proxy.

O

Y'know, for kids!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Dark Jimbo

Horror Express. I don't really know quite what to say about it. 'Utterly bugnuts' would probably do it. Christopher Lee's Professor Saxton has uncovered a 2-million year old missing link in a block of ice. Transporting the creature home on the Trans-Siberian Express, the hairy beastie inevitably wakes up and starts wreaking a trail of bloody carnage through the hapless Edwardian passengers (who also number among them Peter Cushing) from the baggage car onwards.

So much you can learn from the blurb on the DVD case, and to be honest, beyond the unique setting it's initially fairly standard fare for this type of stuff; but as the plot develops it continues going to weird and unexpected places. There is far more to the creature than meets the eye, with a surprising range of powers that are gradually revealed and a positively Lovecraftian (and utterly bonkers) origin that's rare in these Hammer/Amicus type films, who usually take their inspiration from more classic folkloric horrors.

Telly Savallas(!) has a nutty cameo as a cossack captain with a Brooklyn accent, there's a sexy Countess, a femme fatale Russian spy for no particular reason, and a Rasputin-alike mad monk. The cast is crammed full of interesting characters but few of them are developed - to be fair, few live long enough. Ideas abound, and quite often they don't make a whole lot of sense (the squiggly bumps of a brain are a person's memories, and if a brain was drained of these then it would become perfectly smooth?!) but the pace is such that you're never left to dwell on them for long before the next crazy thing is being thrown at you. The claustrophobic train setting is a stroke of genius as there's really nowhere for the cast to go to escape the unfolding horrors, and horrific they are - imagination triumphs over a meagre budget to genuinely make the skin crawl. There are zombies and explosions and the whole thing happens to a funky 70s soundtrack (for a film set in 1906!) and if you still aren't tempted to watch it after all that, then there's no hope for you.
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

"Monster! We're British you know!"

Dandontdare

I love Horror Express!

I watched Chronicles of Riddick last night - I'd never seen this cos I thought the first film was pants, but I really enjoyed this. Vim Petrol may not have huge range a an actor, but this sort of thing suits him; the effects were great and there was lots of good sci-fi gubbins in there - particularly liked Judi Dench's elemental.

Hawkmumbler

Peter Cushing: "A Brontosaurs"

Me: Apatosaurus you twirp!!!

I, Cosh

Wonderfully daft Belgian stop-motion animation A Town Called Panic. So, there's this horse and he lives with a cowboy and an indian. For his birthday they decide to build him a barbeque but they accidentally order 50 million bricks instead of 50. Then it gets silly.

Marvellous fun.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Just back from Little Miss Sunshine at the cinema. I bloody love that movie so much.

Goaty

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 May, 2013, 09:58:59 PM
Wonderfully daft Belgian stop-motion animation A Town Called Panic. So, there's this horse and he lives with a cowboy and an indian. For his birthday they decide to build him a barbeque but they accidentally order 50 million bricks instead of 50. Then it gets silly.

Marvellous fun.

Love that film! Pure crazy and funny!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Goaty on 14 May, 2013, 10:25:52 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 14 May, 2013, 09:58:59 PM

Marvellous fun.

Love that film! Pure crazy and funny!

I think that's at least the third time that film has come around over the 294 pages of this thread - it is insanely good though, isn't it?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 May, 2013, 10:40:58 PM
Horror Express.

Brilliant film.  Haven't seen it in an age, but if you liked the cut of its jib, give The Creeping Flesh a shot.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 May, 2013, 10:24:52 PM
Just back from Little Miss Sunshine at the cinema. I bloody love that movie so much.

It is superb - one of a handful of films that I am compelled to watch right to the end if I catch so much as a glimpse of it on telly, despite having a well-worn DVD on the shelf.  And I have a different favourite bit every time.

Zarjazzer

White Tiger (2012) a Russian movie about a (Melville style) obsessed tank driver trying to destroy a seemingly immortal German Tiger tank. The good-creepy and well made, almost mythical, the tank driver is almost burned to death yet recovers mysteriously and can now hear tanks talk! (bonkers) yet oddly watchable. Tanks of the period very accurately made,  save the Tiger (the reason is kinda explained in the movie) but knocked out Panzers and T-34/76's are recreated along with some mobile T-34/85's.

da BAd-terrible subtitles which seem to fade into the scenery, some long monologues but mostly it doesn't quite know what it is -it's not really a war movie,only one big battle scene.

Nevertheless an unsettling film about what people are really fighting.Not what I thought at all, sometimes that's good.I'm glad I saw it though.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Albion

Life of Pi.
Looks very nice but I found it rather boring.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 May, 2013, 08:59:08 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 May, 2013, 10:24:52 PM

It is superb - one of a handful of films that I am compelled to watch right to the end if I catch so much as a glimpse of it on telly, despite having a well-worn DVD on the shelf.  And I have a different favourite bit every time.

Yep in my top ten of all time. Great movie.