Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Thanks for the heads up Bear. I watched those and they are a but special.

I literally have no idea what was going on in Master of Shadow and Beyond the Dune Sea. Additionally Smuggler's Run managed the not inconsiderable task of making George Lucas' dialogue sound naturalistic. Betrayal is just a fight.

Like you say, Minty has spoiled us by having proper story and script.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

NapalmKev

Compton. A beautiful tale of a group of inner-city youngsters trying to make it Big in the Music industry. It was ok, far better than 8 Mile which I thought was absolute Crap!

Equilibrium. I've watched it before and by Jove I'll watch it again (sometime). I've got a real soft-spot for this film even though it does look a touch rough in places. Great story concerning liberty and emotion and action scenes that put a lot of films to shame. Excellent!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Buttonman

Billy Connolly and the Tenth Doctor can't save family drama/comedy What We Did On Our Holiday

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: NapalmKev on 02 September, 2015, 04:22:41 PM
Compton. A beautiful tale of a group of inner-city youngsters trying to make it Big in the Music industry. It was ok, far better than 8 Mile which I thought was absolute Crap!

It's not like Marshal Mathers did anything those other boys couldn't so. I only bothered to see 8 Mile because it seemed like the only film on that had any connection of what was left of my early adulthood and at Fox - Studios.

So what was the significance of the title?

Is the distance he had to go?

jacob g

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 September, 2015, 09:53:14 AM

8 Mile is a road in Detroit, Michigan. In this name of the movie case it's cultural reference, 8 mile is like border between black part of the city and norther richer suburbs.
margaritas ante porcos

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: jacob g on 03 September, 2015, 11:00:22 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 September, 2015, 09:53:14 AM

8 Mile is a road in Detroit, Michigan. In this name of the movie case it's cultural reference, 8 mile is like border between black part of the city and norther richer suburbs.

like border between black part of the city and norther richer

Isn't that just perfect!

reminds me of other places I won't mention.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Buttonman on 02 September, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
Billy Connolly and the Tenth Doctor can't save family drama/comedy What We Did On Our Holiday

Are you still on Ws?

I thought of a new challenge for you: Watch and review EVERY Adam Sandler movie.

Theblazeuk

Finally watched The Conjuring . Rather enjoyed it, definitely a good (though not classic) spook show.

Buttonman

Are you still on Ws?

I thought of a new challenge for you: Watch and review EVERY Adam Sandler movie.

Oh tough one - still getting over 'The Cobbler'.

British 70s set haunted house horror When the Lights Went Out

CrazyFoxMachine

The Cobbler... shudder. Thomas McCarthy fell a loooooong way after the Station Agent  :o

The Lego Movie

I've been a huge fan of Lord/Miller since their Clone High days - their gloriously inventive batshit mad creative spasms are as overwhelming as they are engrossing and on the Lego Movie (which I'm waaayy late in consuming) they are in full flow. The animation is constantly astounding - the breathtaking use of photorealistic Lego pieces for everything from a stormy sea to a heavy laser battle is enthralling. The story itself I thought was trundling along nicely but predictively until the metanarrative kicked in which very smartly alters the tone of the film and the stakes of the ending. Utterly brilliant.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Buttonman on 02 September, 2015, 07:58:34 PM

Seeing Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkins name on this I was looking forward to "Outnumbered: The Movie" with added Rosamund Pike. Sadly the few laughs there were (all in the trailer) dry up after forty five minutes.

Professor Bear

So it was like Outnumbered, then?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 05 September, 2015, 10:15:05 AM
The story itself I thought was trundling along nicely but predictively until the metanarrative kicked in which very smartly alters the tone of the film and the stakes of the ending. Utterly brilliant.

It's a fantastic movie, isn't it? It barrels along, just being so much fun that you're happy to go along with it and then —POW— it turns out to be really fucking clever as well and there's a brilliant, internally-consistent reason for all these mental genre/character mash-ups.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Also, hands-down the best film version of Batman (sorry, Adam). Sing 'Untitled Self Portrait' with me now: "Darkness. No parents. Continued Darkness.."

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tordelback on 06 September, 2015, 04:20:35 PM
Also, hands-down the best film version of Batman

Yeah I was struck by how natural it felt that he was an arsehole. I mean yeah... the dude is a millionaire that dresses up as a bat and duffs up the poor and desperate criminals motivated by little more than angst and boredom.