Main Menu

Calvin and Hobbes and Tharg's Droids

Started by jrdd, 05 February, 2019, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdd

Just caught this Calvin and Hobbes documentary by Phill Jupitus on Radio 4 Extra, which includes an unexpected trip to the Nerve Centre for a quick chat with Matt Smith and Boo Cook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b00mr2fj

If you want to hear Boo and Phill having a go at drawing Calvin and Hobbes it's at the 14:55 mark...

Dandontdare

Nice!. A bloke I like talking about a thing I like with people I like. Downloading for tomorrow morning's commute  :thumbsup:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 February, 2019, 12:16:12 AM
Nice!. A bloke I like talking about a thing I like with people I like. Downloading for tomorrow morning's commute  :thumbsup:

And with the brilliant Jeffrey Lewis singing the song at about 4 minutes or so "...maybe my art is just lame..."

Anyway I listened to this when it was first out, but either way it formed my listening on the way into work this morning. Thanks for the heads up 'jrdd'.

"Let's go exploring..." brings a tear to the eye everytime...

Eamonn Clarke

Excellent
Thanks for sharing this.
Calvin and Hobbes is one of the greatest sequential art creations of all time.

M.I.K.

I always feel the need to point out that Hobbes is every bit as real as Calvin is, [spoiler](what with Calvin being a character in a fictional comic strip and everything)[/spoiler].

jrdd

Not sure if I should admit this, but (despite linking to radio programmes about it) I've never properly read Calvin and Hobbes...  I've been aware of it, flicked through the books a couple of times, and always thought it looked like something I should give more attention to, but somehow just never got round to it.  Seems like I should do something about that... soon...

Colin YNWA

Yeah its such a rewarding experience and you should defininately make the effort jrdd. Astonishing funny, smart and has some of the greatest comic art ever.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: jrdd on 07 February, 2019, 10:32:23 PM
Not sure if I should admit this, but (despite linking to radio programmes about it) I've never properly read Calvin and Hobbes...  I've been aware of it, flicked through the books a couple of times, and always thought it looked like something I should give more attention to, but somehow just never got round to it.  Seems like I should do something about that... soon...

Please do.  I've found that other classic funny-pages cartoons that I used to love (Garfield, The Far Side) seem a wee bit dated now, Calvin and Hobbes are as fresh as ever.  both scriptwise and artwise, Watterson leaves the rest in his dust.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 February, 2019, 07:26:18 AM
Quote from: jrdd on 07 February, 2019, 10:32:23 PM

Please do.  I've found that other classic funny-pages cartoons that I used to love (Garfield, The Far Side) seem a wee bit dated now, Calvin and Hobbes are as fresh as ever.  both scriptwise and artwise, Watterson leaves the rest in his dust.

You can get the entire back catalogue in a lovely volume set for about £40. In my eyes it's worth quadruple that. Calvin and Hobbes is up there with the best comics ever made.

jrdd

Thanks all for giving me the kick I needed... all I can say is a *very* weighty parcel arrived today, courtesy of Speedy Hen and Royal Mail.  :thumbsup:

4 smart 370-page paperbacks*, printed on high quality paper, in a nicely designed slipcase, all for £37...? Wow!

Now to find a big chunk of spare time...

* the spines line up too