Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Breathing Space vs Clown - Rd 1 Heat 44

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 November, 2021, 06:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Breathing Space is a neat wee thriller, nice and moody. I do have a soft spot for The Clown though. Still feel bad about [spoiler]Tony[/spoiler]. Some of the art was at the better end of the painted spectrum too. It was running when I returned to the prog after a few years away and I hadn't seen much painted comic art before, and found it pretty striking. It's got some flaws, sure, but I do have a soft spot for The Clown.

The Clown

Colin YNWA

Really not sure which way this is going. We might live in a world, when I count up tomorrow morning that both The Clown and Trash win into Round 2. Only your votes today can prevent that from happening.

IndigoPrime

I thought The Clown was unreadable garbage at the time and an excellent example of 2000 AD's editors not caring, as long as a strip looked good. I've re-read the first series since and didn't change my mind at all. Breathing Space is no classic, but it's good enough to win here, in my view.

Huey2

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well you wait for ages for a tie and then two come along at once! Blow me this one was a tie too. And again its equally easy for me to decide. Breathing Space is over earnst, gets a little muddly at times but is a solid thrill. The Clown alas is a nasty mess. Has nothing interesting to say and for me the art isn't even that great. So I have no problem proclaiming

Breathing Space

The winner here and march comfortably into the 2nd round

broodblik

What is for me more interesting is that we all remember the dark ages of the prog  which we all bemoan the contents of the prog but when it comes to voting a lot of these dark time strips garner a lot of votes – so was it really the dark ages of the prog?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 03 December, 2021, 06:54:35 AM
What is for me more interesting is that we all remember the dark ages of the prog  which we all bemoan the contents of the prog but when it comes to voting a lot of these dark time strips garner a lot of votes – so was it really the dark ages of the prog?

Though to be fair that is often against some of the weaker strips from other times, but yeah there has been a lot more support for strips than I was expecting.

I guess though different folks enjoy different strips and so as with all things 2000ad there will be a diverse set of votes. I reckon fans of different strip during this time are spread long and thin. It also doesn't take into account there were many great strips to counter balance the mediocore to bad ones. Even Dredd was on a lull during those days much of the time. Strontium Dog, Nemesis has all but finished. Dante and Sinister Dexter hadn't started. So while one end of quality was spreading the better end wasn't.

Still as you look at it strip to strip there seems fans of everything.

broodblik

Yes it is true that these early round the "newer" strips is not that strong but still the support for some of the most weaker ones of the 90s is a surprise.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Despite voting for The Clown, there's not a doubt in my mind that the best thrill won through!
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Link Prime

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 December, 2021, 08:10:05 AM
Despite voting for The Clown, there's not a doubt in my mind that the best thrill won through!

Heh heh likewise!