Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 15 September, 2012, 07:47:36 PM
Resident Evil's projected to finish the weekend with $22-$23 million dollars.

If Dredd gets that much in its opening weekend (longshot), it could make $50 mill by the end of its run.

hazy efc

Quote from: blackmocco on 15 September, 2012, 07:47:36 PM
Resident Evil's projected to finish the weekend with $22-$23 million dollars. Pretty average opening but it hasn't been marketed as much as Dredd has over here. Dredd's going to have to come in stronger than that to make the magic numbers. Fingers crossed.
lets hope interest in the new resident evil movie settles down by next friday when DREDD comes out in the states and hopefully DREDD does well it really deserves to i mean im a massive fan of the resident evil video games but man the movies are fucking bad i went the cinema back in the day to see the 1st one and it was average at best the 2nd one i caught on dvd and in my opinion is one of the worst movies ever made  the third and fourth again i caught on dvd both better than the 2nd witch aint hard to pull off but still not very good yet people still go to see these shity movies at the cinema the odds are it will do better than DREDD at the box office witch i find very sad if there`s any justice in the world DREDD will end up being a big hit states side and people will choose to see a real movie than a corporate tie in  >:(

Jim_Campbell

There was a Resident Evil trailer in front of Dredd this afternoon -- the 3D looked fucking awful!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

HdE

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 September, 2012, 09:09:00 PM
There was a Resident Evil trailer in front of Dredd this afternoon -- the 3D looked fucking awful!

I think I posted on this already - the WHOLE FILM looks bloody terrible. One of those movies that appears specifically engineered for 'kewl' 3D action sequences. Lots of stuff flying out of the screen, lots of Milla Jovovovovovovovovovich running at us in slow-mo... and no discernible plot.

No sir - give your money to DREDD! ;)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

I posted about the 3D in the resident evil trailer last week- yeah, it was absolutely terrible. The absolute epitome of 'a series of flat cut outs on top of each other' that i see used as a criticism of the technology fairly often. Ive never seen it quite so poorly used before- the closest previously being the fight with the big snowmen in 'thor'.

I cant honestly believe people are still going to see resient evil films- that trailer was just, well, nonsense. I have no idea what it was about, other than it looked like a ripoff of the 'future war' scenes from terminator 2 but with a bored-looking fetish model instead of john connor. Am i close?

SBT

Richmond Clements

Cheers

Jim

Indeed. It looked very poor.
I watched one of those movies a few weeks ago - dunno what one it was, it was in a desert. I literally had no clue what the hell was happening from scene to scene.

Mark Taylor

Just saw again - third viewing. The screen was nearly full, more people there than the first time I saw it, last Friday. Of course you can hardly judge from just one showing but it might just do as well or better as on the opening weekend.

DrJomster

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 15 September, 2012, 11:02:22 PM
Just saw again - third viewing. The screen was nearly full, more people there than the first time I saw it, last Friday. Of course you can hardly judge from just one showing but it might just do as well or better as on the opening weekend.

Excellent news!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

norse_sage

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 15 September, 2012, 11:02:22 PM
... but it might just do as well or better as on the opening weekend.
Sweet grud I hope so.

Steve Green

Just back from an 18:50 showing with a mate - healthy attendance, appreciative audience - probably about 60% full.

Friend was raving about it.

I'm just exhausted, having seen it 4 times...

blackmocco

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 September, 2012, 10:50:59 PM

Cheers

Jim

Indeed. It looked very poor.
I watched one of those movies a few weeks ago - dunno what one it was, it was in a desert. I literally had no clue what the hell was happening from scene to scene.

I was just going to post the same thing. I had no idea what the fuck was going on. Gave up about fifteen minutes from the end. Haha!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Keef Monkey

The Rei movies are awful but people (me included) go see them instinctively out of habit, it's a bit like Saw in that regard. Milla man, just too awesome.

Is the Resi trailer even IN 3D? I've found tht while Cineworld tell you to put on your glasses before they start, none of the trailers are actually in 3D.

SmallBlueThing

The point is, it's in supermegaultra 3D, Whereach element is a hundred miles in front of the one behind and printed on cardboard. It literally looks like a victorian puppet show like they used to make on blue peter.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 September, 2012, 08:56:15 AMIs the Resi trailer even IN 3D? I've found tht while Cineworld tell you to put on your glasses before they start, none of the trailers are actually in 3D.

Yes, it was the only 3D trailer at the showing and I was struck by just how flat it made all the planes look. Yes, the planes are differentiated within 3D space, but it just accentuated how flat the objects on each plane looked.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Yeah, it has an unnatural look to the 3D.

3D is a tricky one to get right, I remember seeing Superman Returns which had partial 3D - and some scenes looked like miniatures because the 3D was overdone.

Same with that RE trailer - the separation was overdone.

I'm still not entirely convinced that 3D is worth the effort, even with Dredd. It doesn't annoy me, but I don't think I'd particularly miss it.