Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Winnie the Pooh - Blood and Honey. Ooh, I thought, that sounds interesting. But it isn't. It's rubbish. At least, the first 26 minutes are rubbish (up to and including the awful rubber masks, the completely unnecessary and gratuitous nudity, and the wood-chipper), the rest I can't vouch for as I switched it off.

I think there is a good idea lurking in here somewhere, turning beloved characters into genre heroes (Windy Miller - Zero Flour, Mr. Ben - Shop Gun, Sooty - Clean Sweep, and so on), but the filmmakers seem to have overlooked it in favour of artless slash. Hmph.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 March, 2024, 06:21:17 PMcompletely unnecessary and gratuitous nudity

You have my attention.

;)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Heh.

Next up was Out of Darkness. This is a really bleak romp about a disparate group of cavepeople looking for the promised land but ending up in a land of monsters. Fairly early on the thought occurred that these primitive humans must have passed through the Golgafrincham camp pretty recently because they all had really cool haircuts. This was more or less the time I started thinking about Predator v Humanity: First Contact, in which an arrogant Alpha Predator discovers Earth and humans - and finds himself totally outmatched from the start; pursued by a tribe of Stone Age human hunters at the peak of their own apex predatoriness, so in tune with their prey and environment that all those fancy invisibility shields are practically useless. Give it the whole King Kong vibe of the tragic, doomed monster. I mean, there has to be some reason Predators come here, right? Maybe it took them ages to even get a "win," and this first encounter sees the Predator using Arnie's mud trick to evade detection, and the chief hunter lets the Predator go with a precious shiny pebble as a souvenir. Anyway, Out of Darkness, okay if you like bleak stories about cavepeople playing out while you think of other things.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GoGilesGo

The Outfit (2022)

A widowed tailor who prides himself on using traditional techniques, gets caught in the middle of an old school gang war. Over the course of the night he must make the Don's somewhat useless son look his best and hide multiple corpses as the bodycount increases.

Now, if you're thinking this sounds incredibly similar to dear old Jacob Sardini from The Taxidermist, you are not alone. Watching on Netflix, I had to pause to look and Google if the writers were a couple of Squaxx sailing just this side of a plagiarism lawsuit.

Overall pretty good and very atmospheric, almost channeling Rope in that every scene takes place within the three rooms of the tailor's studio.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 02 April, 2024, 10:43:22 AMThe Outfit (2022)

A widowed tailor who prides himself on using traditional techniques, gets caught in the middle of an old school gang war. Over the course of the night he must make the Don's somewhat useless son look his best and hide multiple corpses as the bodycount increases.

Now, if you're thinking this sounds incredibly similar to dear old Jacob Sardini from The Taxidermist, you are not alone. Watching on Netflix, I had to pause to look and Google if the writers were a couple of Squaxx sailing just this side of a plagiarism lawsuit.

Overall pretty good and very atmospheric, almost channeling Rope in that every scene takes place within the three rooms of the tailor's studio.

I only watched it a few weeks ago too - I liked it a lot.  The gradual revelation of the complexity of the tailor's character and history was fascinating.

I hadn't thought of the Sardini connection, but now you say it... 
Though Jacob had to rely on a lot of dumb luck, and while the tailor in the film had to as well, his own wits played a huge role too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"