Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Interesting to consider where game storylines come in any list of canon SW media, as I probably enjoyed the Battlefront 2 story more than TLJ even if some of the dialogue was a bit duff - though we got see Han Solo in a beard so stupid it was a plot point, so there's that.

broodblik

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the new batch of SW movies and I will go and see Episode IX on the big screen.
I might be over critically of the movies since every fan believe he knows best and I am a fan.

My biggest issues were that TFA felt like a remake of ANH and TLJ felt in some sense very much not like a SW movie. I did not like the idea of General Huxley becoming the comic relieve. What is the purpose of the Resistance  (rebirth of the Rebellion )and why do they exist ?

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Resistance v First Order exists to reintroduce the multi-billion dollar Rebel Alliance v Empire IP to the big screen and toy shelves.

But if you mean in-universe, to make it clearer check out some of the deleted scenes on the TFA Blu-ray,  or better yet,  the surprisingly entertaining Leia novel Bloodline by Claudia Gray. But it's more or less all there in TFA and TLJ.

Essentially : post-Civil War treaty and disarmament, complacent New Republic refuses to recognise growing threat of Imperial remnant reorganised under charismatic force-sensitive Snoke into the First Order,  increasing Industrial exploitation and enslavement of worlds in their ambit (Rose's story in TLJ), corruption of Luke's Jedi trainees (Luke's story in TLJ) ,  stealth militarisation and aggression against unaligned or border worlds. Discredited in the Senate,  Leia,  Ackbar and Co take matters into their own hands, form a Resistance movement pushing back against increasing FO outrages,  and try to expose the truth of the situation. Snoke (rightly) accuses Resistance of breaking treaties, condemns Republic as supporting them (how much of this is true is debatable) and uses this as his casus belli for launching a first strike (destruction of Senate and Republic fleet in TFA). And there we are,  just the Resistance opposing the new empire,  and that now about 20 people...

broodblik

Thanks for the info TordelBack.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 29 July, 2018, 05:25:14 PM

Any time Broodblik old bean; I'm in a monster grump at the moment, so any excuse to vomit forth irrelevant nonsense eases the pressure.

Jim_Campbell

This is a large part of my problem with these new SW movies, if I'm honest. The number of times I've mentioned a plot hole, or something that seemed illogical or unclear, only to be told: well, if you watched the DVD extras or read this novel...

No. Just no. I'm not doing fucking homework so that a movie makes sense. I hadn't even seen bloody Star Wars when I saw ESB and it still made sense.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2018, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 29 July, 2018, 05:25:14 PM

Any time Broodblik old bean; I'm in a monster grump at the moment, so any excuse to vomit forth irrelevant nonsense eases the pressure.

Don't worry, I believe I am still reeling from the Lunar Eclipse we had here down south on Friday, I could howl at the moon, so I might be more cranky than usual.  :D

But I must agree with Jim_Campbell, why must we read a novel to understand the movie? The novels should be used as back-stories not the main story.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2018, 07:22:48 PM
No. Just no. I'm not doing fucking homework so that a movie makes sense. I hadn't even seen bloody Star Wars when I saw ESB and it still made sense.

Well, as it happens I do agree entirely with you on that score, but all this stuff is more-or-less in the films, the bits I mention just clarify/expand on it, and what isn't there is in no way necessary to understand or follow the story. 

The problem is, as I think we discussed before, that after 40+ years we now expect to know all the back story, in a way we didn't back then.  To drag out a well-worn example, the Emperor's name had only appeared in the preface to the Star Wars novelisation (and then in more obscure sources) until a Hasbro figure in (I think) 1998, and Vader being a Lord of the Sith is only actually mentioned on the first page of that same book. Nobody mentions "X-Wings" in the movies until near the end of TESB. Nobody names Bail Organa on screen until Attack of the Clones in 2002.

But we've been swimming in a soup of SW multimedia, and thus think the films told us this stuff.  Now when the new ones also don't, we feel short-changed, because we should know where Snoke and the First Order come from, and if the books/comics/games fill in this stuff, we complain.  I accept that it's a somewhat different situation with sequels, when we can see the gaps between what we know at the end of RotJ and what we find at the start of TFA, rather than starting with a blank slate, but I still don't think there's anything missing in the new movies that the imagination can't adequately fill in just as well as it did in '77.

TordelBack

Caveat: There is one short scene of Leia talking by comm to Maisie Richardson Sellars' character at the New Republic Senate on Hosnian Prime that was cut from the film (included as an extra on the BluRay), and I think that was a massive mistake: it quickly sketches out the political situation, and it also situates the destruction we see later. Obviously everyone was scared of a Phantom Menace-ish backlash against anything resembling a senate scene, so again, we only have ourselves as whiny fans to blame.

Professor Bear

All I want to know is what Dash Rendar is doing during all this.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Hah, I'd play another Shadows of the Empire if they bring back Dash Rendar!

Jim_Campbell

Did he have a very shiny nose?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 July, 2018, 10:46:22 PM
Did he have a very shiny nose?

No, but his beard is back in fashion!

Hang on....no....that was Kyle Katarn.....no hope for Dash.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2018, 03:20:53 PM
Full disclosure,  today it's:

TESB,  ANH,  RotJ,  TLJ,  (CW '03-05),  TPM,  (TCW '08-14)=TFA,  (Rebels), Solo, RotS=R1, AotC, (Droids),  CoC,  (Ewoks), BfE,  THS.

So Episode IX has it all to play for,  really.

I have no idea what half those acronyms mean
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

It's the Tordelback (TBK) Index.