Main Menu

Button Man bought by Dreamworks

Started by davidbishop, 13 January, 2006, 01:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

Those with long(ish) memories will recall Button Man was optioned last May by two producers who contributed to 'A History of Violence' getting made. Well, Hollywood trade paper Variety today reports the pair have sold the property on to Dreamworks and writers are pitching for the project next week...

'Button' pic sewn up at DreamWorks
Braun and Kass will produce graphic novel adaptation
 By IAN MOHR

"A History of Violence" exec producers Josh Braun and Roger Kass have sold off rights to "Button Man: The Killing Game" -- a graphic novel by John Wagner and Arthur Ranson -- to DreamWorks for a bigscreen adaptation.

"Button" is a stylish thriller about a group of jaded millionaires who pit their own personal assassins against each other in a clandestine, deadly game. Braun and Kass will produce the pic, with DreamWorks' Mark Sourian overseeing for the studio. Project came to DreamWorks' attention when CAA brought it to Steven Spielberg.

"Violence" was adapted from another graphic novel by Wagner co-penned with Vince Locke.

"Button" producers are taking pitches from scribes in Los Angeles next week to adapt the project.

++++++++++++++++

Exciting news, although there's a long way to go yet.

davidbishop

Tordelbach

Strangely optimistic about this one working out, although as ever its the execution as a comic (no pun intended) rather than the originality of the plot that makes 'Button Man' work.  Still, good news!

IndigoPrime

:: co-penned with Vince Locke

Really?

Anyway, one thing will be VERY interesting with Button Man: will they relocate it to the USA? With even the likes of High Fidelity finding their way stateside, it's likely that this will happen, but that kind of screws everything up if they want to adapt the sequel.

Buddy

So... who should play Harry????

Actually, that new bond bloke wouldn't be too far off the mark, but we'll probably end up with Keanue (sp?) Reeves or Brad Pit if it gets americanised.

Sean Pertwee should have played Constantine but I'd give him a crack at this as well.

Jude Law might get a mention at some stage but he (for me) hasn't got the build for Button Man.

Suggestions?

+rufus+

Bit of pimpage..... Vince Locke has sent me 6 Two Page sets of Art from HISTORY OF VIOLENCE to sell on his behalf.
  I'll jpg em up ASAP!
I'm also selling Arthur's work for him, but he's decided to hold onto ButtonMan art til after Spielberg has worked his magic!
Rufus

davidbishop

If he hadn't recently been cast as Bond, Daniel Craig would have made the perfect Harry Exton IMHO. Or, if wet, Sean Bean.

davidbishop

DavidXBrunt

+rufus+

Max Kon

+rufus+

Max.... you've gotta get out of your bedroom more young man! ;-)

Floyd-the-k

am I the only one who noticed the Button Man turning into short homophobe Mel Gibson in the last series?

Sean Bean would be alright....just. Russell Crowe would be good

Satanist

Hopefully this will prompt a reprint as I bought the first one and cant find the progs(or megs).
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

DavidXBrunt

Well the first book is out in a (lovely looking but pricey) Hardback from Rebellion.

Mr C

Correction:
the first book is out in a (lovely looking but pricey) headbutt proof Hardback from Rebellion.

Mudcrab

Surely Rutger Hauer! Hmm, maybe too old.

Totally agree that Sean Pertwee should have been Constantine. Hopefully they won't make him a yank and change his name so Harry Vegas or something.

Sean Bean? Meeeeeeeeeh, dunno, never looks confident enough. Always the flawed almost good guy. Harry needs someone utterly confident looking, so Daniel Craig would be superb, although as has been said, probably not going to happen with Bond n' all.

Brad Pitt would be cool, but perhaps too cool. So Dante for him then :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!