Main Menu

Bisley and Fabry back on Slaine

Started by Montynero, 27 April, 2013, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

http://comicsbeat.com/c2e2-liveblogging-dredd-and-beyond-the-whole-wide-world-of-2000-ad/

So this is exciting news! But in what capacity are they 'back'. Just doing a cover back, or nine episodes of gorgeous sequentials back...

Anybody?

judda fett

If they both go B/W on this I will lose my s#!t. Please be B/W.

Montynero

TordelBack

That are some very strange things in that account, even allowing for it being liveblogged. 

Paul Cornell reckons there's a 'house art style'?  :o

Games Workshop produced the only 2000AD RPG?  :o

And is it actually Bisley and Fabry, rather than McMahon?

Incidentally, I've been re-reading Slaine out-of-order lately and was quite surprised how very poor Bisley's work looked (to me) when juxtaposed with McMahon, Bellardinelli and Fabry, the odd static image aside.  I'm a B&W man at heart, but even so it was a shock to realise that the Biz wouldn't even make into my Top 5 Slaine artists these days, even though I was very taken with his debut issues back then, and still love him on ABC Warriors

judda fett

There was a great Biz painted story in an issue of the old Atomeka Press anthology books years ago reproduced B/W which may defeat the purpose but did look nice as I remember. As TB says and as ground breaking as The Horned God was at the time it isn't as strong for me as McMahon, Fabry et al. Really have enjoyed B/W Biz of recent years though and if you're in any doubt about B/W Fabry these days then check out his new 'Sketchbook 1' collection. Features commission work, convention sketches etc, very nice.

a chosen rider

There's a CBR article with some more detail.  News highlights:

QuoteMichael Molcher: Well, we are very pleased to be welcoming back one of our biggest artists, Glen Fabry. He's going to be returning with a cover to "2000 AD" prog 1833 on May 22 for a "Cadet Anderson" story called "One in Ten."
QuoteWe've also got RM Guerra of "Scalped" fame drawing his very first "Judge Dredd" story called "The Man Comes Around." That'll run in the "Judge Dredd Megazine" #338.
The script is being written by Rob Williams
Quote"The Ten Seconders" is coming back for one final series in "2000 AD" prog 1839.
QuoteThen the following week we have the final series for "Age of the Wolf,"
Jon Davis-Hunt will be returning on artwork for that one.
QuoteGlen Fabry's also doing the "Slaine" 30th anniversary special, correct?
It's the 30th anniversary of "Slaine" this year, that's right! He's one of our most popular characters, so to celebrate in "2000 AD," this August we're starting a new series in which artists from the past of "Slaine" return for one-off stories. It's called "The Book of Scars." We have Mick McMahon, Glen Fabry, Simon Bisley and Clint Langley on it, Clint being the most recent artist to work on "Slaine" before this. Clint is going to frame the stories that are drawn by the others, and it's all written by Pat Mills.
QuoteJohn Wagner is returning to "Judge Dredd" for his first series since "Day of Chaos" ended in "2000 AD." That's prog 1837 in June.
He's gonna be working with Dave Taylor, who is the guy who did "Batman: Death By Design." It's a five-parter

And there's a little about the Dredd 3D sequel comic too.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Montynero

Wow! That Slaine news is fantastic. What a treat that'll be.

Love R.M. Guera too, so really looking forward to his story with Rob too.

Colin YNWA

Whoops sorry I've started another thread linking to this article, if the mods fancy merging.

TordelBack

Quote from: Montynero on 27 April, 2013, 08:18:55 PM
Wow! That Slaine news is fantastic. What a treat that'll be.

It really is - it should be absolutely brilliant.  It's obviously too much to hope that Langley could do his bits in the B&W style he used for the Hammerstein flashbacks, but even so I'm tightening the straps of my hero harness as we speak.

Richmond Clements

Quotencidentally, I've been re-reading Slaine out-of-order lately and was quite surprised how very poor Bisley's work looked (to me) when juxtaposed with McMahon, Bellardinelli and Fabry, the odd static image aside.

Ah, I thought it was just me!
I have always said that I think Bisley's work on Slaine will be great when he eventually finishes the pages...

Davek

I will return to the Prog for the Book of Scars Slaine series!!!!  Single issue stories sounds great.  Fave character by a long way.  (and yeah I know, I should be reading the prog anyway  :-[).

TordelBack

I'm assuming the framing device will be Slaine explaining where he got each of his scars, with each injury originating during the tenure of a different artist.  Makes me even sadder than usual that Massimo is no longer with us. 

Incidentally, couldn't find Grail War in the shops - has anyone seen it on shelves yet?

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 April, 2013, 07:45:44 PM

Incidentally, couldn't find Grail War in the shops - has anyone seen it on shelves yet?

Saw several copies in Big Bang Comics last week Tordel.
Don't go for the one on the left- I thumbed through it!

Sideshow Bob

Tordelback,
There are several copies of it on Amazon ( and other sellers ) .....Works out about £12 or so including postage, if you go to 'other sellers' of same item....Just checked and it's in stock...
Got mine last week from Wordery, but haven't started reading yet..
Cheers.
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Pat Mills discussed this on the EBCT 2000AD podcast. I am very glad that the news is now confirmed, I just hope to God that Fabry is doing black and white line art, and no accountant steps in to suggest colour might be more commercial....