Main Menu

Frank Quitely documentary BBC2 10pm tonight 04/03/14

Started by Montynero, 04 March, 2014, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

Scotland only tonight, but should be on the iplayer thereafter. Not to be missed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03v2vcb

"Frank Quitely is the alter ego of Glaswegian comic-book artist Vincent Deighan. As one of a group of British writers and artists who have reinvented the superhero genre, Frank's depictions of iconic characters like Superman, Batman and the X-Men have provided inspiration for some of Hollywood's biggest movie franchises.

In this film, we follow Frank over the course of a day and night as he works on a single page from his latest work, the epic superhero saga Jupiter's Legacy"

COMMANDO FORCES

That sounds good, look forward to watching it once it's available to the rest of us!

Frank

The last Artworks show BBC Scotland did involving Quitely was painful to watch. The presenter was a bespectacled Clark Kent reporter walking the streets of Glasgow musing on the details of a case he was investigating in a fake US accent, and the show was punctuated by ZAP-POW! graphic inserts.

I'm a glutton for punishment, though, and Quitely's an interesting interviewee, so thanks for the reminder, Monty.

Fungus

Think those Artworks shows have been a bit ropey quality-wise and know I've abandoned some...
But thanks Monty, shall hit the iPlayer for this one.

COMMANDO FORCES

Frank

The show's up on iplayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03v2vcb/What_Do_Artists_Do_All_Day_Frank_Quitely/

The bit where Quitely was talking about almost going bankrupt while drawing Superman for Grant Morrison was an eye opener. If working 16 hour days, seven days per week, on a high profile story for one of the big two doesn't pay enough to fund a home in an average Glasgow suburb and an office that looks like one of the flats from Trainspotting, Flint, Bagwell and D'Israeli must be on Tax Credits.

His comment about the lack of immediacy he feels when working on the apple mac was illuminating too.

Montynero

It was highly illuminating - a great glimpse into the everyday life of a comic book genius.

First in, last out - there's a lesson there.

Re 'bankrupt' I'd guess it was a cashflow probem compounded by the exchange rate fluctuation. Frank's about as slow as it's possible to be while still being a top comic artist. And I remember he had problems with ciatica for a while, which was interfering with his productivity, though I've forgotten the exact chronology. The fact that his pages are soooo worth waiting for is heartening, in my view. Frank probably thinks about the storyteliing more than any other artist, "I spend more and more time planning the pages, than I do drawing up the finished artwork" and you see the benefit in every detail of every page. The fact that he's willing to almost go bankrupt, rather than compromise on quality, says everything. Quality will out, and the rewards for his work have been great in the long term.  Whereas D'Israeli is also fast, so the money comes in more steadily.

Frank

Quote from: Montynero on 05 March, 2014, 09:14:48 AM
First in, last out - there's a lesson there.

Roy Castle knew a song about that. I'm fascinated by his wee bohemian clique, wearing berets in wine bars and preparing fresh pesto as they knock out stories about pituitary freaks for middle aged shut-ins. I'm not sure whether that sign reading THIS IS NOT THE GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ART (in Mackintosh script) means they're cool rebel outsiders, or that Hope Street Studios is a sweatshop like the Infinity Lodge from Dan Clowes's Dan Pussey stories. Either way, I'm sure they'll be inundated with aspirant artists chapping the door, looking to join their ranks.

You're right about it being a great insight into his genius. I thought the focused nature of the programme meant it created a much better picture of his actual artistic process than the usual presenter-led compendium of talking heads which most arts programming turns out to be. It's interesting that when he was sifting through his pages of original art for the camera so much of it was his colour work for Tharg. I suppose that period was the last time he produced pages which weren't finished off in the computer, and those Hondo pages look extraordinary in the flesh.

Montynero

Indeed they do. The detailed inking and gouache colours he used to apply to Shimura, and the early Missionary Man pages, are a thing of quietly hypnotic beauty. That was before Jamie Grant took on the inking and colouring chores, I think, with great delicacy and skill. The same Jamie Grant that owns the building - Hope Street Studios - and lets artists loose within. Fascinating guy, Jamie - they should do a doc on him next.

Fungus

Fine programme, plenty of 'Taggart' (recognising landmarks...) moments in there too.
Among many points, interesting to hear him focus on comics because it's really his baby (to paraphrase). Other possibilities - like games work - just don't have the same appeal, and that makes sense.
It's something the Meg interviews are good at throwing up; which artists spent time on games,  storyboarding or other things. The lot of the modern artist, then.

Albion

If, like me, you haven't seen this yet then there is good news. It is on BBC4 tonight at 10.50.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

skurvy

Thanks for the heads up Albion, I shall tape this one.

Montynero

Quote from: skurvy on 18 March, 2014, 09:25:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up Albion, I shall tape this one.

On your betamax, presumably.

skurvy

amines2058

Quote from: skurvy on 20 March, 2014, 10:31:07 AM
Philips 2000 actually

Ahh Video 2000 them were the days. Double sided cassettes meaning on LP you could get 16hrs of video on a 4hr cassette! Plus renting the latest releases from the car boot of some local entrepreneur who ran a mobile video store from the back of his Ford Granada!
If I carry on like this I will be taking about white dog poo next!! ;)