Main Menu

Death Sentence - now an ongoing comic from June

Started by Montynero, 26 March, 2015, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

For some reason people were misguided enough to buy Death Sentence in sufficient numbers that it's now an ongoing title from Titan. I mean seriously, what were they thinking? I've got pies to make and Octonauts to watch! I haven't got time to be writing and painting the covers to an award nominated critically acclaimed hit comic about a bunch of assholes in silly hats. But you can order it now, should you so desire, and see what's up. It's called Death Sentence London, and various sites have the details (http://comicbastards.com/comics/titan-reveals-death-sentence-london/.

Bascially Volume 1 was an aperitif, a mere taster, for the main course arriving this year. You don't have to have read Volume 1 but if you do Mike and I will be richer, so its obviously essential that you and your friends buy five or six copies each to get the full impact. Though if you prefer not to bombard your mind with sequential thoughtbombs of this intensity you could just read the new series without any confusion whatsoever, to be honest, and work up a tolerance issue by issue while wearing eclipse spectacles. Plus there's a free streak and guiness pie for every reader*. Really! There is.

All the Best
Monty
Emeritus Professor of Pies and Puddings, Magdalen College, Oxford
*made from 100% imaginarium the low calorie low fat alternative to actual pies.

Fungus

Great to see this reappear, a richly rewarding comic that deserves to continue. Sometimes the quality stuff doesn't get supported well enough and... just fizzles out. Support the good stuff!

Montynero

Too kind, Fungus.

As luck would have it, there's a brand new trailer for the series right here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-eAiQ6TMI&feature=youtu.be

It's got lots of new art from Martin Simmonds (you seriously need to check this guy out) and shows all four covers at the end, including one by co-creator Mike Dowling. We've completed about five issues so far, so there's lots to show.

Cheers
Monty

Tombo

Why do you hacks think we'll support your works.  You think that just because you produce a well written, beautifully illustrated comic with characters we come to respect and love that we'll just throw money at you.

Joking aside, well done to all concerned I'll be ordering this as soon as it becomes available.

Hawkmumbler

'Take's out wallet' Will you take my money in cash or direct debit?

Montynero

Just send vodka direct to me here in Craigiebank, Hawkmonger. It's like paypal, but better :)

Colin YNWA

I keep meaning to pick up the trade of the first series, maybe this is just the excuse I need!

Montynero

God yeah. Never mind the writing, Mike's art alone is to die for. Some of the acting in it is just beautiful.

Montynero

Hot off the presses - here's the Marvelous Mike Dowling cover to issue 1 :)

You can get this from any comic shop if you order it. There's four covers in all, two that come as standard and two that you'll need to order. This is one of the two that you'll need to order. So if you're going to a comic shop today, now is the time to let them know.

Cheers

Monty

Montynero

Four covers to choose from in all. I painted two. This is my fave. It's not one of the main covers so the only way you can get it is by ordering it from your local comic shop (It's Death Sentence London Cover C. They'll know what you're talking about).

Montynero

A handy guide to covers.

If you want Death Sentence contact a comic shop and ask for Death Sentence London Cover A, B, C, or D. The comic shop can only order that for you in April. It's not Batman, so the chances of you happening across the cover you want, or indeed the comic itself, are slim if you don't order it. See below for a clear guide.

AB
CD

Find any comic shop here: http://www.comicshoplocator.com/storelocator

Thanks a lot!

Ps An interview about it here: http://slackjawpunks.com/2015/03/30/interview-montynero-co-creator-of-death-sentence-london/

Hawkmumbler

Montynero

Yeah - same day, which is June 10th. Though I don't know what happens to the different covers. At a guess, I'd say on Comixology it'll just have Cover A, which is the action cover montage I painted.

Cheers

Monty

Montynero

Early reviews of issue 1 and 2:

"Death Sentence was a singular work of art. How could you top that? Montynero and Martin Simmonds achieve exactly that." Popmatters

"Arguably the most important comic of 2015" Popmatters

"Bloody brilliant" Comic Bastards

"messes with your brain, gives you a strange, surreal thrill ride, has one wild, outrageous moment tumble after the next while still keeping a focus on character...drawn with delirious surreal joy by newcomer Martin Simmonds. It's both a reset and a continuation from the mini, setting us up for a whole set  of great, loud songs after the band released just a few...Death Sentence: London #1 is like a great punk rock song, full of anger and outrage, energy and excitement, and a bit of scorn for those who don't understand it. Writer Montynero pulls the reader in with its delighted outrageousness then balances that boldness with a touch of humanity. There's a scene between a cop and his young daughter, for instance,  that does a lovely job of bringing this wild story back down to earth in the most pragmatic of ways. Those moments make the scenes of gaping, teeth-filled monstrous, vaginal-appearing mouths in the Cthulu creatures even more intense than they would otherwise feel.This comic has soul and smarts, frightening creatures and frightening humans, and a premise that gets scarier the more time you spend in Death Sentence's London. I enjoyed my trip to one of the world's most terrifying cities." Comics Bulletin

"There are ALOT of powerful ideas in this as the struggle between the public & government's is a fairly prominent issue in the real world today... A great start to this new on-going and I'm sure it'll see more people flock to get hold of that initial run too so they can get the full story.  Thought provoking, entertaining & engaging in equal measure" Comics Anonymous

Bat King

Heads up gang, time to be preordering this baby!

I'll be writing an article for my blog tomorrow but I ought to be singing to the choir here. Plus chances are some of you got Monty's e-mail today (I am tied up every other Monday or I'd have put the article up tonight).

Remember pre-orders can make or break a comic. We saw Department of Monsterology struggle due to poor pre-orders, another title that really shouldn't need much pitching on here surely...

Death Sentence faired much better, though they did launch issue 1 one my birthday and that had to help. But can't take that for granted. I've already pre-ordered at OK Comics, Leeds (other retail outlets are available).

All the covers are in Monty's post from 2nd April. So just go pre-order...

Cover Artist & Order Codes:

COVER A - MONTYNERO​
ORDER CODE: APR151708

COVER B - MARTIN SIMMONDS
ORDER CODE: APR151709

COVER C - MONTYNERO
ORDER CODE: APR151710

COVER D - MIKE DOWLING
ORDER CODE: APR151711

You KNOW it makes sense.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/