Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 15 February, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
Honest, the Dredd film aimed for a darker and more realistic tone, with humanity and realism being the basis of the film, with Mega-City in Cursed Earth. Better for film if stick to realistic, and give it very interesting. Just leave the Sci-fi, Aliens, fantasy to the comics.

Yes. I think it will be an interesting take on Dredd, without the off the wall, avant garde, comic strip thrills. Looking forward to it.

Who'd write the film score for it though? Andrew Lloydd Webber? :D

Yes and while we're at it lets burn all copies of these films:

Superman
Alien, Aliens
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
The Thing
Terminator
Total Recall
Predator
Raiders of the lost Ark
Blade etc.. etc..

Because Fantastical Stuff taken seriously and executed professionally never - NEVER works on screen. Every film based on a comic franchise or a work of Sci-Fi fiction must explain everything away totally scientifically and leave no room for today's dumb-ass/ cynical audience to say "hey that doesn't happen in the real World".

All adaptations begin and end with The Dark Knight and there is no other way any other film could work if not made in the same 'real world'. There is no film maker more visionary than Christopher Nolan, who has perfected the art of Story telling on screen beyond any other Human being alive or dead.

:thumbsup:

Grimmyx22

The basic exaggerations and contrasts (similarities) of megacity with regards to 21st century civilisation, contain all that is needed to form a classic science fiction story in the true 2000ad style without resorting to strip derived gimmickary (mimicry) and dilution. Dredds world is an exiting and vibrant parody of modern living enough to make a slew of sequals with enough visual impact and social satire to make Robocop look like an episode of corrie.

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 08:42:07 PM

It would only conflict with the story if told from the aspect of a narrator which probably wouldn't be a 'device' adopted for a Dredd film anyway, at least not throughout. The story could equally be told from a different perspective and work just as powerfully.

I cannot agree: again, for me, the power of that story comes from the way it's told: America, more than any other Dredd tale is pretty much dependant upon its narrator. That's the whole point of that story.

radiator

QuoteYes and while we're at it lets burn all copies of these films:

Superman
Alien, Aliens
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
The Thing
Terminator
Total Recall
Predator
Raiders of the lost Ark
Blade etc.. etc..

Because Fantastical Stuff taken seriously and executed professionally never - NEVER works on screen. Every film based on a comic franchise or a work of Sci-Fi fiction must explain everything away totally scientifically and leave no room for today's dumb-ass/ cynical audience to say "hey that doesn't happen in the real World".

All adaptations begin and end with The Dark Knight and there is no other way any other film could work if not made in the same 'real world'. There is no film maker more visionary than Christopher Nolan, who has perfected the art of Story telling on screen beyond any other Human being alive or dead.

You're misreading the situation.

I think the majority of us would agree that it would be perfectly possible to put the wackier elements of Dredd's world up on screen, so long as it was consistent with the tone the filmmakers were trying to achieve.

If, for instance, they were making Dredd as a much more stylised film, with heavy use of cgi and prosthetics, you could go nuts with it - Judge Death, League of Fatties, whatever you wanted. That such a film would require a massive budget and would most likely tank at the box office is beside the point.

However, it's clear that they are going the dark, gritty, semi-realistic route, so those elements probably won't work in that context.

Also, your argument is flawed in any case because most of the films you mention have only one, perhaps two, outlandish elements so don't demand a big a suspension of disbelief, whereas with Dredd as it is in the comics, you're asking the audience to swallow a hell of a lot in one go - mutants, psychics, robots, all manner of aliens and supernatural phenomena.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 February, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Death just isn't a strong enough or dare I say it, interesting enough, character to use in a movie.

That is the biggest problem, Death himself is empty, he is a one dimensional character from another dimension. The whole crux of why he exists as a foe for Dredd is metaphysical he represents Dredd's Law in extremis, the logical solution/conclusion to the crime problem forever and that's it, you get little else with Death. Fun for 20 minutes but not much meat on his cadaver. They would need to change the nature of the character somewhat to make hime interesting but with all the ready-made fully-developed characters in Dredd, why bother?

Considering the fact that Death hasn't been a significant presence or really any potent presence in a Dredd/2000AD story since Necropolis 21 years ago, I don't really see that Death is a necessary inclusion any more than the Angel Gang are. Many more long-lasting characters have superceded Death in Dredd & the big Meg. You could  argue P.J. Maybe is now Dredd's 'nemesis' -a serial killing ex-Mayor- since his story is far more interesting, long-lasting and current.

The point I believe is Dredd isn't Batman so really there's no need for him to have an arch-nemesis like the Joker. The Judges, the city and the citizens who dwell within it, are the interest.

The purposeful introduction/set-up of Anderson and PSI-powers in the first film may have an arc yet to be disclosed. If Anderson's a popular character, she'll likely be back, whether as a vessel for Death or as an instrument for the most intimate/invasive surveillance of the Mega-citizens -their minds- leading to Anderson's emotional upheaval. Either path is up for grabs.

Involving Anderson in an aspect of the infiltration of the democratic uprising including the inherent conflict of emotions she would endure from the empathic crushed ideals of the citizens and maybe going native as Dredd concurrently proceeds with his merciless crackdown on the Dems as portrayed in Letter from a Democrat, Revolution etc. would be an interesting way to go.

As pure fan-tasy it could lead to either of these ultimate conclusions: a combo of Twilights Last Gleaming/Total War/America, and the even crazier still option with unlimited budget: the Dead Man/Necropolis -including the return of Anderson and fuck the audience.

I do have a hankering for some Bloodline content in a film though and the Apocalypse War could be well tweaked to work for a current audience.

JOE SOAP

Having said all that, keep things on the level of the the Pit, Sin City or Mandroid and I'd be wel happy.

James Stacey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 09:03:01 PM
Considering the fact that Death hasn't been a significant presence or really any potent presence in a Dredd/2000AD story since Necropolis 21 years ago,

Fuck! Way to make me feel old.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 09:01:38 PM

If, for instance, they were making Dredd as a much more stylised film, with heavy use of cgi and prosthetics, you could go nuts with it - Judge Death, League of Fatties, whatever you wanted. That such a film would require a massive budget and would most likely tank at the box office is beside the point.

I used these examples to illustrate my point, which is that you could retain the realism and grittiness while still integrating a hard Sci-Fi element. Trying to implement every aspect of the comic would be box office suicide. But to absolutely ignore this  aspect of the source material would be a huge missed opportunity. And I'm not accusing the makers of Dredd 2012 of doing this because I havent seen the film yet.

Another Little fact - two recent films Chronicle and District 9 both filmed in South Africa with smaller budgets than Dredd managed to 1) Have very Strong Sci-Fi elements  2) Not explain every little thing - adding to the mystery and 3) Be successful box office draws.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 February, 2012, 08:59:00 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 08:42:07 PM

It would only conflict with the story if told from the aspect of a narrator which probably wouldn't be a 'device' adopted for a Dredd film anyway, at least not throughout. The story could equally be told from a different perspective and work just as powerfully.

I cannot agree: again, for me, the power of that story comes from the way it's told: America, more than any other Dredd tale is pretty much dependant upon its narrator. That's the whole point of that story.

Cinema can do certian things better and more powerfully than comics -and vice-versa- exploiting these certain things/techniques comics can't do and using them to tell the stories in a new way when adapting these kinds of stories can make them equally as powerful. Imagination, faitfulness to the spirit of the source and the will to do so is the key to doing it. This can compliment and give a different but equally profound perspective on the the original story. Not repeating the same mistakes films such as Watchmen make.

Beeks

Whilst a semi enjoyable romp in comic form..I hope we never see Death in a Dredd film

He's just far too cliched bless him

Skully looking guy who's name is..wait for it..Judge Death

I mean come on..ok we get it..to a point

But cinema goers will think someone is taking the piss

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing some of the more believable characters

Cal..maybe another appearance of the Angel Gang? (possibly the only redeeming feature of the 95 film)

Uncle Ump?

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Beeks

PS. Chopper would be arsom
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

QuoteThe point I believe is Dredd isn't Batman so really there's no need for him to have an arch-nemesis like the Joker.

And I agree, but that's how the majority of people see it - I've been following the Dredd film story on many different websites and the most common comment people make (other than "He better not take the helmet off") is "Will Judge Death be in it?".

I'd go so far as to say that the Bolland Judge Death strips are probably the most popular and widest-read Dredd stories of all time.

It's already been stated that Garland initially wanted Death in this film, but decided to hold onto him for the proposed sequel.

While I agree he isn't the most interesting character (and I hate to bring up Nolan yet again), but you could argue that there's nothing particularly interesting about the Joker. He doesn't have a backstory, doesn't have an arc - all he is is an agent of chaos, and that approach worked superbly in The Dark Knight.

Gonk

TBH there aren't many believable characters in Dredd when you think about it. Probably why it's such a challenge for film makers to get right without producing a film which is just too damn weird for your average filmgoer.

Mean Machine and his ilk is inventive storytelling, but imagine trying to seriously portray a psychopathic (head) nutter like him. An audience would either laugh outright or just be plain disgusted. You can say that for most Dredd characters.
coming at a cinema near you soon

MR. ELIMINATOR

Regarding Judge Death as a realistic enemy, could he not just be a psychopath who thinks life is a crime? Perhaps  a mutant too, giving an excuse for a horribly disfigured face and physic powers like Anderson.

I think that would be the most effective way to incorporate him into this gritty realistic universe. Coming from a different dimension would be too much.

Beeks

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 09:50:12 PM
TBH there aren't many believable characters in Dredd when you think about it. Probably why it's such a challenge for film makers to get right without producing a film which is just too damn weird for your average filmgoer.

Mean Machine and his ilk is inventive storytelling, but imagine trying to seriously portray a psychopathic (head) nutter like him. An audience would either laugh outright or just be plain disgusted. You can say that for most Dredd characters.

I agree to a point..I just think that the Dark Judges..whilst fun in a comic..are just parodies of the four horsemen of the apocalypse..I mean how the f**k are you supposed to work that into a film?

Let's not forget who Dredd is..at the end of the day he's a future lawman..the humour in the comic has always been core to what makes the strip so good..but at the same time I think Death and friends is well..a little too out of place..maybe even..dare I say it..childish for an adult movie?