Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Does anyone else here think that should Dredd do gangbusters business at the box-office, and they get to do the two sequels they're hoping to do, that they should concentrate exclusively on Mega-City One as the setting(s) and pretty much ignore the Cursed Earth?  I always thought the Cursed Earth-based stories were always far less interesting compared to the Big Meg-based ones (especially those dealing with the general day-to-day of life in MC-1), and should Dredd get a sequel(s), would be infinitely preferable to focus on life in the sprawling, crime-plagued, and just plain batpoop-crazy megalopolis... I think the general narrative thrust of something like Block Mania  or Graveyard Shift  would be ideal for one of the sequels (gritty, relatively realistic, able to show a representative strata of Mega-City life), but still hoping for Death in any potential Dredd sequel...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

SKD

Ah, we're back to sequels. :D
I agree with Beaky on the Cursed Earth, there are enough stories to be told within the city walls without involving the outside (Dredd) world.
I'm not sure if the Block Mania storyline would work on the big screen, stripped down it is basically lots of people fighting because the water supply has been tampered with by an outside force, the judges are just caught in the middle. If the outside force was just a 'Joe Cit' gone futsie, :think: ok. But to have the assailant as a sov assassin and lead into The Apocalypse War (which might be great for us fans) But could confuse the greater cinema audience, Is Dredd a cop or a soldier?
The Graveyard Shift could work as the basis for a sequel. Following Dredd over a single night, painting a fuller picture of Mega City, showing different crimes in plot threads that intermingle to a climactic conclusion. If I remember rightly Mrs Anderson's little girl is in there somewhere too.
As for Judge Death, I've said that I'd love to see him in this thread before (vote Pygram). But I don't think we'll get the alien superfiend we all know and love in this 'real word' version of Dredd.

Stew.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: SKD on 29 April, 2012, 10:33:38 AMI'm not sure if the Block Mania storyline would work on the big screen . . . The Graveyard Shift could work as the basis for a sequel. Following Dredd over a single night, painting a fuller picture of Mega City, showing different crimes in plot threads that intermingle to a climactic conclusion.

By itself, I don't think 'The Graveyard Shift' could sustain a whole film although it might work if conflated with 'Block Mania'. Bringing in the Sov Bloc for a further sequel I'd say would still have the same issue as a Cursed Earth setting (i.e. it's too soon to be exploring life beyond Mega-City One); in which case, a pared-down version of 'The Apocalypse War' might work better if the threat comes from within, perhaps a conflation with AMERICA and 'Total War', the antagonists instead being terrorists.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

blackmocco

I think an original story would be far more effective than borrowing anything directly from the comics for a sequel. The Cursed Earth will probably need to be shown in some fashion if only to show an audience why people would choose to live in a hellhole like a Mega City in the first place.

An updated version of the 2T(Fru)T plague/Block Mania gripping Dredd's city would be more than enough as a concept. Still feel like the more high concept aspects of the strip aren't going to work in this stripped down incarnation. Judge Death's just going to look ridiculous.

[spoiler]Perhaps a sequel in the vein of Magnum Force is alluded to in the leaked script...? Disillusioned and corrupt Judges trying to bend the city to their own form of justice?[/spoiler]

Just a thought...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Beeks

Block Mania would be too like this one IMO

City-Def is done

I reckon the sequel should be relating to Chopper
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Bat King

For goodness sakes SPOILER TAGS!!!

Some people haven't read the script, some including me.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beeks on 29 April, 2012, 07:18:00 PM

I reckon the sequel should be relating to Chopper

He could only be a secondary character, wouldn't be enough on his own or with his own story, too slight.

Bat King

agreed, Joe.  There would need to be a major antagonist, but having Chopper scrawling as a side story would be cool.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beeks

Quote from: Bat King on 29 April, 2012, 07:25:23 PM

If that's in reference to me..I havn't read the script either..but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out and my post is hardly a spoiler..
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

a chosen rider

Quote from: Bat King on 29 April, 2012, 07:27:41 PM
agreed, Joe.  There would need to be a major antagonist, but having Chopper scrawling as a side story would be cool.

I guess they could actually do the Oz story, just without, er, actually going to Oz.  Combine it with the original Midnight Surfer story and have the Supersurf taking place inside Mega-City One, with Judd and his clone troop invasion as main threat.  Which has the bonus of being useful background setup for Necropolis and/or other clone-related plots in a potential third film.

...Man, the Dead Man reveal could be awesome in a film version.  Everybody who comes into the comics late kind of has to have the twist spoiled for them so they know to pick up the Dead Man TPB, but for the movie audience you could play it as a genuine surprise.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Bat King

Quote from: Beeks on 29 April, 2012, 07:31:20 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 29 April, 2012, 07:25:23 PM

If that's in reference to me..I havn't read the script either..but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out and my post is hardly a spoiler..

OK far comment if you haven't read the script but it doesn't sound like speculation.  It sounds like you know Cit Def are in it.  If you know they are in and say it, that is a spoiler.

Unless the thread is marked as a spoiler thread there really shouldn't be any spoilers.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: SKD on 29 April, 2012, 10:33:38 AM
The Graveyard Shift could work as the basis for a sequel. Following Dredd over a single night, painting a fuller picture of Mega City, showing different crimes in plot threads that intermingle to a climactic conclusion. If I remember rightly Mrs Anderson's little girl is in there somewhere too.

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind, SKD dude, where the upcoming film largely represents a microcosm of the larger MC-1 society vis-a-vis a residential block, the potential sequel (with a larger budget, in real terms) could show the actual full strata of MC-1 society as Dredd, Anderson, and possibly even Hershey and Giant, take on the night shift from hell (that might or might not include Mr Death) that makes the Peach Trees incident look like a Sunday afternoon picnic by comparison... if I may make a comparison to clarify my point; take Night of the Living Dead, which was largely a microcosm of the emerging zombie plague set in a rural farmhouse, whilst Dawn of The Dead showed the full strata of that society crumbling under the relentless zombie plague, from the inner city chaos to the rural backwoods' redneck hunting partys and national guard patrols and onto a certain enclosed shopping mall (with even a roving biker gang thrown in for good measure)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Danbo

He seemed quietly confident.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

blackmocco

Ah. Turns out that Drokk album was slated to be the soundtrack for the movie at one point. (Not anymore.) Good interview here.

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/features/301804-geoff_barrow_talks_drokk_2000ad_as_important_me_public_enemy

- So, just to be clear, there's no connection between DROKK and the forthcoming movie Dredd, with Karl Urban?

- "No, there's no connection now, no."

- That was the first thing that struck us, listening to DROKK – how powerful the music you and Ben created would be, if twinned with the right visual, artistic interpretation of the Judge Dredd universe. Was there any point at which you were tempted to try and get in touch with the filmmakers, and see if anything could be done to join the two projects?

- "Well, basically, that was the film we were working on. It didn't work out, for lots of different reasons. Because the film's still in production, and there's massive secrecy around the project, I'd rather not go into it. One thing I can say is that it was an absolutely brilliant experience: I became good friends with [Dredd script writer] Alex Garland. The film is going to be fucking brilliant. Categorically, there is absolutely no bad feeling between us and any of the filmmakers. It was just a project which didn't work out, but Ben and I decided to carry on with the project in a different form. But the relationship with the film-makers and with Alex is so good, that there's no way I would want people to think there was any kind of problem between us."

- Is there any small part of you that secretly hopes that, once the film's out, someone might take it and remix it, using the music you created for DROKK?

- "No, not at all! It's not that kind of feeling that I have towards the film, y'know what I mean? The only feelings I have towards the film are massively positive. It's not like they didn't use our music, and we're angry or disappointed, it's not that kind of vibe. At all. That's all I can really say about it. But I am massively looking forward to the film."
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com