Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2012, 08:57:53 AM
Don't agree.  Trailers are a form of entertainment all their own that have really found their medium in the internet. 

The first piece of video I ever downloaded was the first trailer for Phantom Menace.  It took half the night over my phone line, and it was a fuzzy mess about the size of a playing card, but it was the most excited I'd been since I first fumbled at a bra-strap.  It's an accepted truth that that trailer delivered infinitely better fun than the film (and I'm a fan), but even taking that as an outlier trailers can frequently be their own pleasure. 

As a broke parent I'd say my ratio of online trailer-watching to movie-going is over 50 to 1.  I go to the cinema 2-5 times a year, mainly kids' films, so while there I see a maximum of 20 trailers on the big screen, most of them apparently for sequels to Ice Age.  I don't really watch TV.  On the internet I sometimes watch that many a week, and I get to choose what I watch. 

Trailers for teasers for trailers are something I want to see, beacause the teaser/trailer is a bigger part of my entertainment intake than movies themselves - I want to be built-up, I want to be kept informed.  Unless it's for Ice Age 17: The Quantum of Slothness.
THIS...The chase is half the fun of being a movie fan.
And ditto on the Phantom M...still the greatest trailer ever,shame the film was a letdown.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

shaolin_monkey

Ha! Does anyone remember the Star Trek V trailer? It made the film look awesome, hilarious etc.  It turned out all the exciting/funny parts had been crammed into the trailer, leaving a dreadful film in its wake.

The only trailer I've seen which has gotten me exited since the aforementioned Phantom Menace is Prometheus.  That trailer has made me desperate to see it! 

As for Dredd, the sooner we have a trailer the better! Simon Peggs birthday greetings with Karl's chin and gruff voice was quite simply not enough!

Rex The Runt

Really? 

"A sci fi film by Ridley Scott, somehow related to Alien"

That's all I need to know.
Take my ticket money.

Spare me the three minute spoiler.
I'll see every moment fresh in the cinema.
@roguetrooper815

Rex The Runt

Likewise - "a new Dredd film."

That's all I need to know too.

Loving the pics and discussion about fat tyres, but pass on the trailer!
@roguetrooper815

Michaelvk

Right with you on Prometheus, Rex.. It's comical how I fumble with the remote every time the trailer's on telly..

Speaking of trailers on telly.. Saw one for The Raid..

Oh dear..

My guess is we won't be seeing anything until that's out of the way..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Rex The Runt on 13 May, 2012, 11:47:32 PM
Really? 

"A sci fi film by Ridley Scott, somehow related to Alien"

That's all I need to know.
Take my ticket money.

Spare me the three minute spoiler.
I'll see every moment fresh in the cinema.

Yeah, point taken. Same with Dredd - a no-brainer.  Yet I still want something to feast on until it's released!  :P

You know, re Prometheus, this is going to make me sound like a right dill, but I had no idea it was related to Alien until I saw the trailer.  And then my eyes bugged out of my head!  I'd somehow missed ALL the hype, and it was a complete shocker to me!

Now I'm aware of it, I look around at all the adverts and media and think 'how could I have not known?!'

But yeah, Dredd, bring it on! 

One thing I'm really glad of is that i found out about the leaked script after Megadownload or whatever it was called got taken down.  I know myself too well - I would have read that script from cover to cover.  I would not have been able to resist, and completely spoiled it for myself.  ::)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 May, 2012, 11:55:01 PM
Speaking of trailers on telly.. Saw one for The Raid..

Oh dear..

My guess is we won't be seeing anything until that's out of the way..

Agree. That's been the main reason why I believe we've seen no Dredd trailer.

The Raid is released this coming Friday in Ireland & the UK and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the secret film at Kapow!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: jock on 13 May, 2012, 10:26:35 AM
I've never said anything about movie x on twitter (I don't think....) but I doubt it's dredd. I have no idea what it is.
Where did you get the idea I did?

Sorry if I got this wrong, Jock dude, but you posted "it's not DREDD, by the way" on Apr 19 on your Twitter account, it was about the same time that Kapow was announced and the speculation over 'movie x' was starting up, if you were referring to something else entirely, many apologies, my bad... looking forward to seeing what you came up with for the Dredd one-sheet, though...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 14 May, 2012, 02:55:57 AM
Sorry if I got this wrong, Jock dude, but you posted "it's not DREDD, by the way" on Apr 19 on your Twitter account, it was about the same time that Kapow was announced and the speculation over 'movie x' was starting up, if you were referring to something else entirely, many apologies, my bad... looking forward to seeing what you came up with for the Dredd one-sheet, though...

Not on Twitter but just scrolled through Jock's feed  for half a minute and the tweet immediately prior to "it's not Dredd" was regarding a one sheet movie poster he was working on.

*whispers* : ( I think it might have been for The Raid ).

Danbo

Quote from: Rex The Runt on 13 May, 2012, 11:49:30 PM
Likewise - "a new Dredd film."

That's all I need to know too.

Loving the pics and discussion about fat tyres, but pass on the trailer!
In this case its been waiting that long I can keep going for Dredd...six of one...
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

brendan1

Some of the speculation about the helmet is truly fantastic.

" I suspect the producers are deliberately making the Judge helmets to look a little ill-fitting to accentuate the production-line feel of the Justice Department in this one"

Ahahahahahaha!

I think the truth is rather more prosaic: he needs to be able to fucking see out of it.
In all honesty, the Stallone helmet iteration made a lot of sense from a visibility stance.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: brendan1 on 14 May, 2012, 09:59:18 AM
In all honesty, the Stallone helmet iteration made a lot of sense from a visibility stance.

but looked shite.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 May, 2012, 10:31:15 AM

but looked shite.

I agreed, Urban's Helmet looks better.

brendan1

Oh yeah, it looks way better.

But if the film had adopted an early McMahon/ Bolland/ Ezquerra model it would look even better, but the lack of visibility would have meant Urban required actual bionic eyes, because that's the only way you'd be able to see anything through those tiny, black slits.

IndigoPrime

Interesting juxtaposition of those two shots, too. The one on the left looks like a slightly naff dress uniform; the one on the right looks like a riot cop.