Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Whoops. Probably should've went to his actual page rather than paraphrase something from the ticker, but laziness and all that..

"I haven't seen it, it was only John. Personally I am not too impressed with what I've seen, but I have plenty confidence in John's judgement."

Fixed 'impressed' to be all gentlemanly like. I now see where he's coming from with the riot gear comment. Though I quite like the look myself.

Adrian Bamforth

Ironically, to me the uniforms look closer to Carlos' original design.

The images remind me of flashback scenes Origins, where the early judges are more like riot plice. I liked the way in that story it fed back into modern-day with its use of more contemporary-looking bikes and cars; in a way it makes perfect sense that the cars and bikes would start looking ordinary, as they were earlier in Dredd's lifetime. If the movie is a hit there will be greater opportunity for higher-tech in sequels set later.

Goaty

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 30 May, 2012, 07:28:18 PM

I agree...

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

The images remind me of flashback scenes Origins, where the early judges are more like riot plice. I liked the way in that story it fed back into modern-day with its use of more contemporary-looking bikes and cars; in a way it makes perfect sense that the cars and bikes would start looking ordinary, as they were earlier in Dredd's lifetime. If the movie is a hit there will be greater opportunity for higher-tech in sequels set later.

That makes sense and leads to better continuity from the comics.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Bubba Zebill

the uniforms look closer to Carlos' original design.

It's true.....and it just occurred to me this may be earlier in his career and ( if more films are made) they could jump forward 20 years in a later film, show the more futuristic city.

Does anyone recall there were occasionally policemen helping the judges in early progs?...I seem to think they had squad cars, jeeps....I may be way off here.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Steve Green

There were police, but they had smallish hover squad cars/vans

JOE SOAP

There was also only about a dozen Judges in the whole of MC-1:

Stan

Someone's playing Billie Jean and only Steele can hear it.

Steve Green

Orange was big in the 70s as well.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Helmets are a bit small ;)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Adrian Bamforth

Interesting pages there - I had no idea there only being a few of them, having never read much very early stuff. Also, love the terrible colour setting.

I think for me the ideal Dredd film about probably deal a lot with how the city got to where it was, much like Origins. I was never a big advocate of the story being just a day in the life, though such a story would probably simply be way too epic for the budget.

PreacherCain

No reason the uniform can't change and develop in (hopefully) sequels. The Batman costume changed for every film, sometimes a little too...uh... quirky  :)

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 May, 2012, 10:46:25 PM
There was also only about a dozen Judges in the whole of MC-1:

Looks like Steele has nicked Dredds Lawgiver and hidden it in, erhem ,a 'restricted area' :P

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Stan on 30 May, 2012, 07:17:25 PM
Whoops. Probably should've went to his actual page rather than paraphrase something from the ticker, but laziness and all that..
"I haven't seen it, it was only John. Personally I am not too impressed with what I've seen, but I have plenty confidence in John's judgement."
Fixed 'impressed' to be all gentlemanly like. I now see where he's coming from with the riot gear comment. Though I quite like the look myself.

He wouldn't want it closer to the costumes in the 1995 debacle, would he?  The whole 'riot gear' thing is an essential element of the Judge's look, they're basically a cross between a full-time riot cop and a one-man SWAT unit, I for one absolutely love the new Judge costumes body armour in Dredd, it's Mega-City One I'm dying to see...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.