Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Yeah,but mine was a bit naff
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Lee Bates on 02 June, 2012, 09:23:58 PM
Just popped in to see if there's any news.

Found long dissertations about the merits of 3D and other film techniques.

No news then.

A man was reportedly seen with a sandwichboard walking up Londons Basingstoke Road at 8.32pm.Whether this has anything to do with the Dredd movie is unknown, and speculation that it is connected remain,well, at this time, speculative. :|

James

Quote from: darnmarr on 02 June, 2012, 12:35:11 AM

I hate to say I told you so but I did this a while ago-homage to Fargo(the movie).

PreacherCain

Quote from: radiator on 02 June, 2012, 05:43:00 PM
QuoteI reckon the only reason 3D isn't impressing a lot of people is because, as said before, it's not being used properly.

No, it's because it generally looks like a blurry, dingy, ghosting, strobing mess whenever the camera moves at anything quicker than a gentle pan. The cons far outweigh the pros.

Exactly. It's patronising to assume that my or anyone elses reasons for not liking 3D is because the cinema isn't set up properly as well. I've seen a few films in 3D (and I go to a couple every month as well) and - other than Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Pina (maybe Avatar because it was so new) - there has never been a narrative reason for the use of 3D.

This is NOT like the introduction of colour or sound. Both those things came about as advances in technology and because they added to the narrative. 3D has been around since the 50s (admittedly in a much less refined way) but it has never really contributed anything to the narrative of a film other than spectacle. And spectacle is fine for something like Avatar but for the most part, it's a gimmick.

If improved, I can see 3D being used for big blockbuster films but the norm is always going to be 2D. I actually don't think cinemas will survive if they try to transition everything to 3D. Do you really think films like The King's Speech or There Will Be Blood need to be in 3D? Come on.

And from latest reports, people aren't just avoiding 3D, they're bloody well resenting it because of the price increase. I'm sure there will be some filmmakers who will made decent 3D films that could only be done in 3D but, from what I can see, they'll be novelties rather than the norm. 3D is maybe more comparable to the likes of IMAX than anything else.

As for the framerate debate, I do find the 48fps makes everything look like it's been speeded up. It'll be interesting to see how The Hobbit looks in the cinema. It probably will take your eyes a little while to get used to it which may be a hindrance to actually enjoying the film!

darnmarr

Quote from: James on 02 June, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

I hate to say I told you so but I did this a while ago-homage to Fargo(the movie).

That is rather cool indeed.

Stan

Quote from: radiator on 02 June, 2012, 09:02:57 PM
The difference isn't quite as pronounced - go into your local dixons and look at the display tvs. They always have that motion interpolation feature turned on to the max. It's designed to give the impression of a smooth frame rate. I find it unwatchable.

I always think flat screen TVs look horrible in the shop compared to my old and trusty CRT. Maybe that's partly the reason.

JOE SOAP

You'd have to manually turn on the interpolation to see it. CRT were better quality though.

radiator

The official Dredd Facebook page has updated the plot outline of the movie. No new info, and It's a bit spoilery so I won't copy and paste it here, but head to Facebook if you want to check it out yourself.

Radbacker

a 50" CRT Tv would probably weigh as much as my car though and have pixels the size of my nads, unfortunatly we are stuck with LCD/Plasma for a while yet.
So any more news on this Dredd movie I've been hearing about?

CU Radbacker

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Stan on 02 June, 2012, 11:21:23 PM
I always think flat screen TVs look horrible in the shop compared to my old and trusty CRT. Maybe that's partly the reason.
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 11:25:51 PM
You'd have to manually turn on the interpolation to see it. CRT were better quality though.

Amen to both, having just bought an LED television after the old Panasonic CRT was about to give up the ghost, I can verifiably state that CRT had an infinitely superior picture, for all the hype, I'm not impressed with LED technology, not one bit, can you not buy CRT sets anymore?

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

I just upgraded to an LCD from a CRT and the picture the Sony CRT still has is pretty sweet even now.
Just to think in a few years what the definition would be with a little graphene around the home :)

Graphene Applications
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Goaty

And in off-topic subject, the Dredd film is out in three months :)

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 08:12:45 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 02 June, 2012, 08:02:59 PM
Didn't Monthy Python do a sketch on it where the characters within realise they look different when shot on film or video?

If they didn't, they should have. I don't recall that but it's right up their street. Perhaps in series 3 somewhere.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

BTW - 220 pages a record for a thread here?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Steve Green