Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 08:11:10 AM
If it sits somewhere along my cheesy B movie shelf besides Pitch Black,Underworld/s,Outlander,Red,Centurion and Dog Soldiers without embarrassing its self then I'll be more than happy.
Not expecting the next Starwars,Bladerunner,Inception or Pulp Fiction,just a cool  little 3 star film that will automatically get and extra star from me because its fucking Dredd.
Not too much to hope for is it?

I think you're pretty much on the money there..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

Sounds good to me.

My expectations for films have been set on low for the past decade anyway. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Teivion

If Dredd even comes close to being a film as enjoyable as Dog Soldiers, I'll be extremely happy.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 04 June, 2012, 03:27:48 AM
As been said before little by little, just the facts first. Nail the character, the environment, the system then add the extras.

Its all about the character first and foremost.

^This.

Hell, I was happy with the xmas greeting Karl sent us. It's going to have to be a real stinker to disappoint me.

HunterZolomon

Birthday! Birthday dammit. I also hate the lack of edit function...

Danbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2012, 09:04:03 AM
Sounds good to me.

My expectations for films have been set on low for the past decade anyway. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Me too ,I got that on Friday when I watched Haywire,thought it looked a bit naff from what I'd seen but was quietly blown away,top film.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

radiator

Well, personally I hope it's a damn sight better than that two-bit, piece of crap Underworld.

norse_sage

Quote from: darnmarr on 03 June, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
I thought I'd ask which would be more upsetting for folk on the board here:

A: A piss-poor Dredd film that was nonetheless popular and would spawn sequels/toys/animated series e.t.c
or
B: An excellent Dredd film that nobody went to see ?

B! B!! B all the way!!!

Option B gives us a fans a movie we can enjoy, and something that will give a trickle of new fans for the indefinate future, certainly won't do any harm to the brand in the long run. Not so with A, which I consider the second worst that can happen.

If a movie is a crap adaptation but still somehow a great standalone movie that general audiences take a liking to, there is a very good chance that the powers that be will make future adaptations and incarnations of said property more like the successful movie adaptation and less like the original source material.

That's what happened with Robert E. Howard's Conan.
John Milius wrote a viking samurai movie which was dumbed down and whitewashed compared to the original yearns, featured the opposite themes and philosophy , and a Conan who was quite literally the polar opposite of the original literary Conan in every single way that mattered. Then he topped it off by casting Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan, who was ten times as miscast in that role as Stallone was as Dredd.
That movie is deep, deep insult to the literary Conan, and it is deeply hated by a very large chunck of the Conan proper fans.

Sadly, for all its weakness as an adaptation, it worked as a standalone movie, and was loved by the public. As such, Milius and Ahnuld usurped the name of Conan, and every single Conan cartoon, film and comic (with the exception of the current Dark Horse comic) has owed more to the Milius film than the original Conan, and as such been total crap.

For Dredd, and every other cult thing I like, I'll take option B over A anyday.

Danbo

Quote from: radiator on 04 June, 2012, 11:38:07 AM
Well, personally I hope it's a damn sight better than that two-bit, piece of crap Underworld.
Kate Beckinsale in very tight leather and lots of werewolves! I've heard rumors they have a plot but I usually don't get any further than staring at her arse,guilty B movie cheese,love it.

Goaty

Don't want any moans, but for your info as there trailer out now for House At The End Of The Street, which is out on 21st Sept in USA same as Dredd.

So Dredd Trailer will be soon, :)

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 04 June, 2012, 11:55:26 AM
Quote from: radiator on 04 June, 2012, 11:38:07 AM
Kate Beckinsale in very tight leather and lots of werewolves! I've heard rumors they have a plot but I usually don't get any further than staring at her arse,guilty B movie cheese,love it.

It has a plot ? ;)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

wadew1

Quote from: Goaty on 04 June, 2012, 12:13:15 PM
Don't want any moans, but for your info as there trailer out now for House At The End Of The Street, which is out on 21st Sept in USA same as Dredd.

So Dredd Trailer will be soon, :)

Actually that's the SECOND trailer for House At The End Of The Street!
The first trailer came out in March.

dracula1

Lets get back to talking about Kate's assets  :o.... As this trailers never going to appear!  :'(

darnmarr

Quote from: dracula1 on 04 June, 2012, 12:26:05 PM
Lets get back to talking about Kate's assets ....
Nice tissets, too.

Danbo

I found her nuanced performance in the Esquire shoot video* to me almost life changing.

* cough youtube cough  *