Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Broadway

('rate' not 'rater' - I hate the lack of an edit button)

karlurbaninternational

@PreacherCain: Hm.... thank you for the warning and very good explanation, and not to be much disappointed if there is no Karl on sdcc2012  :(

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Noisybast on 13 June, 2012, 09:19:44 AM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 12 June, 2012, 07:41:33 PM
Stupid Dredd article: http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=8ee992ae-b8b3-4012-9b61-7b64acd6ddef

My response to said stupid Dredd article:

Thing is, this isn't a remake. Not even 'quasi-'. The author seems to be under the impression that the 1995 movie starring Sylvester Stallone is the original incarnation of this character. If that were the case, and Stallone's 1995 train wreck were the only source material 'Dredd' had to draw upon, I would be inclined to agree that the chances of this movie being any good were slim.

In reality, however, 'Dredd' has 35 years of excellent comic book material to draw upon for inspiration, running into tens of thousands of pages. Material which, incidentally, the 1995 Stallone incarnation chose by and large to ignore, or outright contradict.

To predict that this movie will 'probably be horrible' based on Stallone's version is therefore just as ridiculous as it would have been, back in 1989, to base one's expectations of Tim Burton's 'Batman' on the 1966 version starring Adam West.

An excellent, well written response, Mark. I've stuck my oar in as well, as has our own Mr Burdis, I see...

The more the merrier. People could we swayed by sloppy journalism like this. Maybe enough comments pointing out the journalists lack of research will help sway them back.

radiator

Something I've been idly wondering - why would JoBlo be given the exclusive images and poster?

I'm vaguely aware of the site, but is it especially widely-read? It doesn't seem to be a particularly big operation. What do the filmmakers get out of the exclusivity? Why not just send it out to everyone at the same time?

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 13 June, 2012, 03:08:11 PM
Something I've been idly wondering - why would JoBlo be given the exclusive images and poster?

I'm vaguely aware of the site, but is it especially widely-read? It doesn't seem to be a particularly big operation. What do the filmmakers get out of the exclusivity? Why not just send it out to everyone at the same time?

Yes, it's a big movie rumour and information site. And you sort an exclusive with a single place so that a) you can guarantee positive coverage of the exclusive from that site and b) all the reposting (usually) links back to the source, increasing their readership and boosting the chances of positive coverage from them in the future. It's a pretty standard marketing thing. If you send it out to everyone at the same time you pretty much lose all control over it.

radiator

Fair enough, cheers.

Michaelvk

The awful thing about the internet giving access to everyone, is that everyone can now be heard.

People annoy me.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Molch-R

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 June, 2012, 03:24:18 PM
The awful thing about the internet giving access to everyone, is that everyone can now be heard.

People annoy me.

Welcome to my job.

Steve Green

Molch-R

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 June, 2012, 03:47:22 PM
And hobby?

Apart from the hitting people with sticks. Which helps a lot.

Steve Green

Bubba Zebill

[/quote]

'Day-sticks'?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Molch-R

During the day, sometimes at night. They're very adaptable.

W. R. Logan

You doing Morris dancing as well now? 8-?

Molch-R

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 13 June, 2012, 04:40:38 PM
You doing Morris dancing as well now? 8-?

We *have* been described as the military wing of the Morris Dancers. Though I once saw a drunken brawl at a Morris Dancing event - that escalated pretty quickly.