Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Just think of it as the brain working on warp speed whereas the body moves at normal pace.
When I crashed one of my cars into a ditch the whole experience seemed to take forever but in reality it happened within a second. I took a blind country bend at about 70+ MPH in the early hours of the morning in heavy rain, bounced into and along a ditch (about 5ft in depth) and managed to maneouver back onto the road, Totally fucked the car.
So I suppose this event could be likened the the slo-mo effect.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Michaelvk

Quote from: CraveNoir on 27 June, 2012, 07:28:58 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 26 June, 2012, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 26 June, 2012, 05:40:08 PM
Just had a thought - in the trailer there are what looks like three captives with Ma-ma? I presume its them that end up falling down the shaft in the middle. If they were doped up on Slo-mo , what must it feel like to be falling that distance in 1% normal time? How long would it take for them?

In their perception...? Could be hours, right...? Oy vey.

If they fall 200 floors (2000 ft/610m)... and their terminal velocity is about 122mph, and say their average speed is more like 120mph as they need time to get up to terminal velocity... then the fall takes 11.37 seconds.

Slo-Mo increases perception 10,000% (making the world move at 1% normal rate), so the fall appears to take 1137 seconds, or 18m57s... approx. 19 minutes of thinking time.

You could resonably knock a bit off and say it appears to last 1134 seconds... which would be HELL on an upside-down calculator. Also I think the storeys in the film are more like 11 feet tall... so a 12.48 second fall or 20m48s.

Let's just say it's 20 minutes!

20 minutes, eh? I suppose the crash to the ground would ease the boredom..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

MR. ELIMINATOR

I wonder how the impact would work? Would you feel all the pain really slowly, or would you just die instantly when you hit the floor?

vzzbux

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 June, 2012, 09:45:02 PM
I wonder how the impact would work? Would you feel all the pain really slowly, or would you just die instantly when you hit the floor?
No matter how fast your brain is working when you splat then game over.

V
Drokking since 1972

JOE SOAP

You'd experience the pain of that impact for a longer time.

Stan

23.95 seconds to be precise.

vzzbux

Not sure on that. Once the skull splinters penetrate the brain then it's instant switch off (maybe as no research exists).

V
Drokking since 1972

JOE SOAP

The perception of it would still be slower?

vzzbux

I would like to agree but the brain is a complicated organ from which mankind is far from understanding.

V
Drokking since 1972

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 June, 2012, 07:51:58 PM
I think it's pretty clear the user would experience any activity in slo-mo otherwise what's the point?

I think the deeper philisophical question is how fast is your awareness/thinking of the experience of slo-mo? Are thought-processes slowed down or only base physicality, emotion and sensation? Does it feel like paralysis?

It's not a deep or philosophical observation, but this film features fucking. I assume that's one of the sensations most commonly prolonged by users, as a means of escape from the horror of their daily lives. That supports the film makers' conception of Megacity One as a society in terminal decline, echoes Wagner & Grant's portrayal of the boredom of life on the dole, and it's one of the few original sci-fi concepts I can remember making it into mainstream cinema in recent years.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 27 June, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

It's not a deep or philosophical observation, but this film features fucking.

Features spittle too.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 June, 2012, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: bikini kill on 27 June, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

It's not a deep or philosophical observation, but this film features fucking.

Features spittle too.

Gotta have lube.

Steve Green

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 June, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Try reading the IMDB message board for Dredd, I expect the sensation is similar to the former.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I suppose it would all depend on where you land first. Legs would be very slow and painful, face first would be instant.

Another thing I wonder, is if they are seeing everyone in 1% of normal speed, cannot they not use this to move faster?

Like when Dredd is shooting them in the trailer, they should be able to see the bullet moving really slowly and move out the way in time?