Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Stan on 08 July, 2012, 04:37:58 PM
Quote from: ED GRIMREAPER on 08 July, 2012, 02:30:30 PM
Well if the sequel is going to be set in the Cursed Earth, please please please have the Land Raider/Kill Dozer in it. That would be sweet!

I was thinking that myself last night, even though I'd become aware they weren't talking about the comic version. It's something to plonk in front of an artist at least.

That was a Matchbox promo wasn't it?...my auntie Mary bought me that toy on Rutherglen mainstreet...it was years before I saw it in Dredd and I was really surprised by the link...I know it's a digression but what was the story behind the toy / cursed earth...what came first?...and it would be cool to see.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

darnmarr

'Matchbox adventure 2000'

Stan

That Matchbox thing does sound familiar now you mention it. Maybe there was an advert in one of the progs or something?

And I was a bit hesitant at first but I think I prefer the re-shoot of that scene. The other thing has been done to death.

CYCLOPZ

QuoteAlex: That clip was part of the reshoot - we shot it in December last year. We shot that in an abandoned shopping mall in Colindale

Am I right in thinking he means Yaohan Plaza / Oriental City? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_City

I used be down there almost everyday after school back in the 90's!

Bubba Zebill

Yes, I may be off ...but I think the toy was promoted by the comic. I don't think it was made for 2000AD...the figures were not judges...or were they? First I noticed it was the Bolland cover of The Cursed Earth. Then I discovered it in back issues...Burger Wars etc.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

DKCX

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just read a slightly more detailed description of the new footage here: http://cinemart-online.co.uk/2012/07/08/london-film-and-comic-con-dredd-clip-report/

I definitely preferred the old version if they have swapped it.

Steve Green

As others have mentioned that scene as in the script [spoiler]seemed similar to Robocop, and maybe it also made Dredd too brutal for an intro - I get why it was changed, it's a bit like the abandoned Bank Raid debut storyline compared to Judge Whitey...

I don't know what the guy from that report was hearing, but he sounded fine to me, and bear in mind that the sound system in those places is not great - it was even mentioned that it would be a lot bassier than that.

As this was a reshoot, I'm guessing the original was shot as scripted (or close to), so it may be a deleted scene

[/spoiler]

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 July, 2012, 08:50:05 PM
As others have mentioned that scene as in the script [spoiler]seemed similar to Robocop, and maybe it also made Dredd too brutal for an intro - I get why it was changed, it's a bit like the abandoned Bank Raid debut storyline compared to Judge Whitey...

I don't know what the guy from that report was hearing, but he sounded fine to me, and bear in mind that the sound system in those places is not great - it was even mentioned that it would be a lot bassier than that.

As this was a reshoot, I'm guessing the original was shot as scripted (or close to), so it may be a deleted scene

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I would say this new one sounds more brutal, shooting him in the mouth and his head setting on fire from inside! Damn! [/spoiler]

Spikes

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 July, 2012, 08:26:56 PM
Just read a slightly more detailed description of the new footage here: http://cinemart-online.co.uk/2012/07/08/london-film-and-comic-con-dredd-clip-report/

Blimey! This is gonna be one brutal film, if thats owt to go by.

JOE SOAP

Too much like RoboCop, not a good thing. The last thing we want is people saying Dredd ripped-off RoboCop. I'm surprised the scene was ever written like that.

Steve Green

Yep, I can't remember if he uses ricochets in the script, but it's another thing that Robocop 'borrowed' - could have something more like the ricochet in a confined space, could imagine that in slomo would look/have looked great.

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 July, 2012, 09:25:03 PM
Too much like RoboCop, not a good thing. The last thing we want is people saying Dredd ripped-off RoboCop.

I dunno, Robocop had its gory bits: but this is sounds like a different category of goriness .
There is a parallel with one particular Robocop scene, but that scene ended very differently: this ending sets a far more balls-to-the-wall  uncompromising tone. I like a balls-to-the-wall uncompromising tone, me.

As for accusations of plagiarism... well  'Robocop' has a nerve, doesn't it?

...and anyway 'Raid'/'Robocop'/'The Sound of Music', I care not a jot,so long as folk are talking about it. Personally, the last thing that I want to champion is 'innovation for it's own sake': Wagner's Dredd wasn't created in a cultural vacuum; 2000ad always borrowed unashamedly from whatever was 'the go'. It references Robocop, fine, what's important to me is it does something different with it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 July, 2012, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 July, 2012, 09:25:03 PM
Too much like RoboCop, not a good thing. The last thing we want is people saying Dredd ripped-off RoboCop.

I dunno, Robocop had its gory bits: but this is sounds like a different category of goriness .
There is a parallel with one particular Robocop scene, but that scene ended very differently: this ending sets a far more balls-to-the-wall  uncompromising tone. I like a balls-to-the-wall uncompromising tone, me.

As for accusations of plagiarism... well  'Robocop' has a nerve, doesn't it?

The goriness ain't the issue, it's the [spoiler]bullet through woman to kill a perp[/spoiler] content that is. I would expect it from someone like Mark Millar. No reason for Dredd to dramatically 're-commit' a crime that the original plagiarist-offender 'commited'.

Leigh S

If a Dredd film avoids "ripping off" Robocop, then won't it not be much of a Dredd film?

I'm all for avoiding direct lifts, but if you Robocop (a 25 year od filom now?) is kicking you out of your own yard, whose yard are you in and whats the point of even making the film?

I dont mind them trying to do something different, but if that different is watered down or blander or just misses the point of the character... The supposed original of shooting through a hostage is a direct Wagner Dredd lift - the burning someones face up just sounds like something from a Mark Millar Dredd