Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuffsteruk

Just typing `Dredd`into Twitter search and seeing the result brings a warm glow  :)

CraveNoir

http://veryaware.com/2012/07/sdcc-2012-review-dredd/

Many story and character elements that are seemingly significant are brought up repeatedly but never followed through. Particularly, there are points made about Judge Anderson and her "gifts", which I won't spoil here, that I thought were meant to be important in one way or another, but are never followed through, even though it's suggested that other people like her are outcast from society. Similarly, there seems to be a recurring motif of the two judges running into children, though it's unclear why this is ever important or if it means anything at all.

Pete Wells

I cant stop grinning today! Most of those reviews are absolutely excellent! Of course there are quibbles but the do seem relatively minor.

At last, the Dredd movie we've been hoping for!

ming

From various comments I've read, it looks like a lot of people who were sceptical following the trailer are either now fully converted or willing to give this a go; the overwhelmingly positive reviews seem to be working wonders.  Word of mouth and the general buzz surrounding Dredd will hopefully go a long way to putting bums on seats come September.

And I predict that the press coverage will reach critical mass once CF hits Shrewsbury.

:D

TordelBack

It's all the reviewers griping about the vehicles that I can't stand.  Oh, wait...

MR. ELIMINATOR

Oh wow, I  have been smiling uncontrollably with excitement reading through the reveiws! So fucking stoked now, bring on September!

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 July, 2012, 11:22:37 AM
It's all the reviewers griping about the vehicles that I can't stand.  Oh, wait...

It turns out the 'vintage' vehicles are entirely in keeping with early Dredd (more or less).  When the film hits, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a Ford Cortina.

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 11 July, 2012, 04:41:48 PM

TordelBack

Quote from: ming on 12 July, 2012, 11:28:33 AMWhen the film hits, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a Ford Cortina.

Yes, but there better not be more than ten, or I will be voicing my displeasure at this continuity error on the internet.

Beeks

Some guy on twitter posted that DREDD was

'Hands Down the most violent film I have seen in my life'

:lol:
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

Lena Headey gives either the best or worst performance in the film, depending on who you listen to...

Michaelvk

I reckon (going on the reviews..), it's, as I predicted, going back to the 80's levels of gore and violence that's indeed been missing for so long in the movies these days. A proper hard film for a change.. I can't wait..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

DeFuzzed

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/12/dredd-the-sfx-verdict/

"Karl Urban is a fantastic Dredd, never removing his helmet and never letting lawbreakers get away with it. Relentless, unforgiving and compelling, he encapsulates all the complexity of Mega-city One's foremost fascist lawman with an economy and rugged authority that's a delight to behold. "

Exactly what I wanted. Efficiency. Not endless martial art repetition. God, I could cry I'm so happy.

chuffsteruk

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 12 July, 2012, 12:05:32 PM

Exactly what I wanted. Efficiency. Not endless martial art repetition. God, I could cry I'm so happy.

I feel EXACTLY the same!42 years old and it's like Christmas as a boy!

DeFuzzed

36 going on 18, me - and we're lucky, chuffster, I feel sorry for the old sods who act their age! Miss out on all this? Not on yer life!