Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 September, 2012, 10:19:42 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 10 September, 2012, 10:01:37 PM
The US trailer shows what is a key scene, bit of a mistake imho

Except, as I keep pointing out, you don't know it's a key scene unless you've already seen the film. Most trailers contain key footage from their film -- without context, it doesn't matter. In fact, it's unavoidable -- the good bits are, by definition, the key bits of most movies.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. The problem is that if you've seen a trailer a few times then when you see the film and the line pops up I don't think you react to it the way you should because you've heard it a few times already. Like you say, it's probably largely unavoidable but I think the DREDD trailers have been worse than most for it (the trailers have included [spoiler]Dredd's last exchange with Ma Ma, his last conversation with the Chief Judge and worst of all, Dredd sentencing and killing the main villain of the film[/spoiler]).

Throwing in some of the memorable bits of dialogue is one thing, but that last one strikes me as completely avoidable and very, very spoilertastic. I can get that they wanted the shot of [spoiler]Dredd standing at the window[/spoiler], it's a great shot and was what sold the movie to my girlfriend (she thought it looked just like an iconic Dredd comic panel) but you could have that without the context.

I pretty much agree with you it's unavoidable, but it's the reason that if I'm already interested in a film nowadays I'll avoid any further trailers or clips if possible.

James Stacey

You want a spoilerific trailer, look no further than Castaway. Less of a trailer .. more the whole plot of the film

Michaelvk

Quote from: James Stacey on 11 September, 2012, 09:40:32 AM
You want a spoilerific trailer, look no further than Castaway. Less of a trailer .. more the whole plot of the film

Should've watched the trailer and left it at that then..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

James Stacey

Quote from: Michaelvk on 11 September, 2012, 09:43:10 AM
Quote from: James Stacey on 11 September, 2012, 09:40:32 AM

Should've watched the trailer and left it at that then..
I did  :lol:

SuperSurfer

I think I've seen some of this before but get a load of this compilation of behind the scenes footage.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/judge-dredd-2012/b-roll

Some class lawmaster footage included.

And check out Ma-Ma's grimace.

DeFuzzed

I was just on Amazon to check out the blu-ray and also found the Dredd screenplay novel by Alex Garland. Anyone read it?

JOE SOAP

Thee is no novelisation, it's a collection of older novels by different authors:

JOE SOAP

but then again there is a screenplay kindle book (but not a novelisation).

Michaelvk

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 September, 2012, 11:53:31 AM
I think I've seen some of this before but get a load of this compilation of behind the scenes footage.

Oooh, look at those glorious blink-and-you'll-miss-them details on the bike's guns..

I'll shut up now..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Hairwolf

I really love the bike, there's something very menacing about it, I think it's because they've stripped away all of the unecessary stuff in this design, eagles, big headlight assemblies etc. and while it may look a bit clunky from some angles they way it was shot made it look mean and dangerous.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 September, 2012, 12:10:57 PM
but then again there is a screenplay kindle book (but not a novelisation).

So the final version of the leaked screenplay some of you read? Thanks. Will check it out.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Hairwolf on 11 September, 2012, 12:14:50 PM

I really love the bike, there's something very menacing about it, I think it's because they've stripped away all of the unecessary stuff in this design, eagles, big headlight assemblies etc. and while it may look a bit clunky from some angles they way it was shot made it look mean and dangerous.

The shape worked for the era it was conceived in.. The 95 one just makes them look like 2 wheeled ice cream vans.. Motorcycle design has evolved. Even Hardly Ablesons have overhead cam engines these days.

Hairwolf

Yeh the 95 ones were such a let down when i went to see that movie, at the time they reminded me of dodgem cars and when the actually flew....jaysus, sickened is not the word to describe my feelings towards that design travesty.

shaolin_monkey

Bah, 95% fresh on RT now, thanks to that bloody Daily Mail review.  I'm very tempted to call him a nasty four letter word, but I shall restrain myself. 

JOE SOAP

It's telling of the '95 film that their 'Lawmaster' - one of the major icons of Dredd-gear - featured in but one scene, which amounted to little more than a parking, not a chase scene, a parking scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLwNKEQ4ir4#t=0m57s