Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I didn't know you were such a fan Supes.

SuperSurfer

I got to the codpiece shot and had to stop.

In DREDD the perp had to hold his breath. In the Stallone version they cut out the bit where Fergie used Dredd's codpiece as a respirator.

CYCLOPZ

Michaelvk

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 11 September, 2012, 03:32:58 PM
kinky-kinky

deserved-deserved..

Apparently it was an unscripted ad-lib and Stallone just went with it..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Beaker

Quote from: Goaty on 11 September, 2012, 01:55:52 PM
Mods, can you spoiler tags some of Beaker?

Thanks

Oh lawks...I'm sorry, I never gave it a thought. Daft bugger! :o(
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

SmallBlueThing

Dragged my bitching and moaning wife along to a showing this evening on the pretext that it was our twelfth anniversary and I was paying so I got to choose. We had a special screening all to ourselves... until just after it started, when another couple crept in and sat behind us, so sadly no monkey-busines was in the offing. I thought it could go either way, to be honest; my wife is far more into this type of movie than I am (when I met her she had a whole collection of Jean Claude Van Damme films on VHS), but she's never shown any real interest in Dredd, despite being married to me for nearly nine years and despite being in Minty and living in a house with every single issue of 2000AD and The Megazine, Sci-Fi Special, Winter Special, PosterProg and annual in it, plus hundreds of convenient trades. As far as I'm concerned, while my first viewing pretty much confirmed that I didn't like the things I thought I wouldn't like and didn't exactly set me on fire, I wanted to go back to support this little endeavour and enjoy the excellent soundtrack, and some of the better (non-obviously cgi) splatter.

I wasn't prepared for quite how much my wife liked it, or for the barrage of questions about Mega City One on the way home. Safe to say, she was impressed. And as a result I liked it that little bit more, too. On Friday I'm going again (if it's still on at our local cinema) with an old friend who's a lapsed-squaxx (can you guess when he gave up? Can you, hey, can you?) so it'll be interesting to see what he makes of it.

Both wifey and I thought it a shame they went for the stupid swearing though. Without it, the gore would have made it a '15' and possibly doubled the box office. Dredd saying "shit" was just... wrong.

SBT

JOE SOAP

I found the Aww shit line quite funny, made Dredd somewhat more authentic.

Steve Green

I highly doubt it's the swearing that made it an 18, or even the gore.

CYCLOPZ

It had a lot to do with the sexual violence, which is essential to the story.

The Sherman Kid

Returned from my 4th viewing having taken my younger brother this time.

Bits he really liked
[spoiler]He laughed loud at the Caleb', shortest route to the exit bit, but had the biggest laugh at the end where Dredd confronts a problem with Ma-ma.
'Mmmm whats the range on that?Can it get through 100 floors of concrete?How about 200?Lets find out- Cue hysterical laughter as he knew what was coming (found it funnier myself to be fair-really good line)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The great news is he wants to see it again -which he practically never does (another ticket or two in the bag methinks  :D)

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 September, 2012, 08:37:26 PM
I highly doubt it's the swearing that made it an 18, or even the gore.

The BBFC states the movie received the '18' for "frequent strong bloody violence and gore". The "sexual violence" didn't bother them- "The film also contains strong threat and a brief moment of implied sexual violence, in which a man hits a woman. However, the scene is brief and discreet, only implying a violent sexual fantasy inside a criminal's mind".

The use of drugs didn't bother them either, being fictional- and to be honest, going by their own guidelines (see the limits of acceptability for a '15'), I'm hard-pressed to see exactly why it got an '18' at all. Like all these things, it would seem to entirely depend on the overall effect of everything together- the language, violence, gore and sex. Dredd, for me, was a '15' unfairly rated higher by an organisation that is forced to justify its own existence from time to time. If this had come from a major studio it would have got the lower rating, with a minimum of snips.

For me though, the most objectionable element was the language.

SBT

chuffsteruk

New TV spot on just a second ago"The UK's Number 1 film"

Dredd"Yeah"

"And the critics agree"

chuffsteruk

Cue list of reviews.

(Sorry,pressed return too quickly!)

vzzbux

Just seen a brief ad before the footy and it centered on the positive reviews and had four and five stars plastered all over it.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 September, 2012, 08:27:48 PM
I found the Aww shit line quite funny, made Dredd somewhat more authentic.

Where was that, again? I've completely blanked on it. The MF-bomb kinda blew everything else away.