Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 03 January, 2013, 06:55:26 PM
It does make me roll my eyes when people say "but how can piracy be harming the film industry when The Avengers makes a billion at the box office?".

It's also the reason why studios are making less films. They put all their resources into something like Transformers or Batman that can make well over a $billion whereas if they divided up their 'Tranformers' production costs amongst 10 smaller films they'd make less money at the box-office and with added risks plus the need to employ more people to get 10 films made as opposed to one.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Teivion on 03 January, 2013, 08:25:38 PM
http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2012/04/will-shutting-down-the-piratebay-make-any-difference.html

Is that not a broad summary of the very same opinion that you called me a thief for voicing on the 'Reactions' thread?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

To be honest, the attitude that people deserve to have whatever they've bought in whatever format can quite frankly cock off.

I must have missed the bit enshrined in human rights legislation entitling consumers to digital copies of their product - if you're not happy with the product - don't buy it, but please don't bleat about what you perceive you're due.

In the same vein, studios make it available and don't be fucking surprised that Game of Thrones is the most torrented show because you haven't even released a blu-ray of Season 2.

Google are just a hypocritical 800 pound gorilla, but then again calling yourself the Pirate Bay doesn't do themselves any favours.

In short, I'm sick of the lot of you. ;)

Teivion

Jim,

I think Steve has just (above) more than eloquently summed up the answer to that one now in his second paragraph, so lets not go there here as well.

I didnt say I agreed with the link, I posted it as it just puts the argument in a nutshell.

MR. ELIMINATOR

It's pretty cool to see how many people are posting on the dredd facebook saying how awesome it is. I think a sequel could still be on the cards yet. Really wish the IMDb score would stop slipping though. Hopefully people seeing it after blu-ray release will push it back a up a little.

SmallBlueThing

The only legitimate reason to illegally obtain a movie or tv show or album, to my mind, is the one we had back in the eighties: because the authorities have decided you are not allowed to have it, or have insisted it be censored. If a movie or album or book is banned or censored then you are duty bound to obtain an illegal, uncensored copy. Because, basically, fuck anyone who tries to ban stuff.

As we now live in a culture less-inclined to ban stuff, there is less reason to obtain illegal copies. Mind you, if you balk at paying the ridiculous prices cinemas charge or the frankly profiteering, exploitative prices for first-release dvd and bluray and honestly feel you cant afford it- wait til the film is available second hand for three quid, like i do.

SBT

A.Cow

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 January, 2013, 10:29:00 PM
The only legitimate reason to illegally obtain a movie or tv show or album [...]

... is to make sure that Scientology doesn't get a penny when you watch a Tom Cruise film.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 January, 2013, 10:29:00 PM
As we now live in a culture less-inclined to ban stuff, there is less reason to obtain illegal copies. Mind you, if you balk at paying the ridiculous prices cinemas charge or the frankly profiteering, exploitative prices for first-release dvd and bluray and honestly feel you cant afford it- wait til the film is available second hand for three quid, like i do.

For most general releases I've settled on the moral-compromise of 'renting' the supposedly 'HD' version - really DVD quality - on iTunes, which are a quarter the scandalous price of 'buying' new releases from them, and then ripping the DRM-rental file to my hard-drive using software. I feel I'm at least giving them the real cost of the service.

SmallBlueThing

Im afraid im ethically and morally unable to watch a Tom Cruise film. I caught a few minutes of some Mission Impossible shit on telly earlier this evening and had to forcibly remind myself that he cant hear me shouting at him. I draw small cold comfort from Belgium outlawing his pathetic criminal tax evasion organisation and hope he gets a knock at the door very soon. His continued existence offends me, so no, im afraid i will never again watch anything with the repulsive dwarf in it.

And prof- yep, rent them. Or wait for sales. I understand not wanting to wait, and being excited and all- but if money is genuinely an issue there are always ways to legally watch something cheaply. Free illegal downloads are entirely for wankers.

SBT

IndigoPrime

As I said in my eloquently titled article Dear TV and movie industries: stop being dicks, "Companies do a lot better commercially when it appears they don't hate their customers with a frenzied passion."

MR. ELIMINATOR

I am probably gonna become quite unpopular here but I have nothing against torrents and think it's good people can watch a lot of stuff for free and it's easily available. Even stuff like all these on demand services I think only appeared because they had to compete, which is good.

Yeah it may damage sales, and have an impact on indie films more, but I think with a lot of independent films (and music) they were made more out of love and the creators want more people to see/hear them then make a profit. Though obviously a profit is nice and I support films and bands I like by paying.

And as for the big studios, well those cats are fat enough as it is.

Dredd is kind of in the middle as it is independent, but requires a bigger budget then most indie films to create the sci-fi world. I think it will still make a killing on blu-ray/dvd though. Fingers crossed.

Goaty

10 days to go...

So by next Friday, there will be new media reviews (papers etc) about Dredd.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 January, 2013, 08:54:29 PM
To be honest, the attitude that people deserve to have whatever they've bought in whatever format can quite frankly cock off.

Unless you've never taped a vinyl album or ripped a CD, unless you've dutifully deleted the VHS copy of every show you recorded off the TV after 30 days, I'm going to have to suggest that this statement is a touch hypocritcal, Steve.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

The ability to rip DVDs to watch on your computer or iPod isn't an unreasonable request at all, and is a million miles from torrenting everything without paying, and frankly it seems like a very fusty, old fashioned attitude to object to it.

It'll probably be legal soon anyway, just as ripping CDs for personal use is now legal.