Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Yeah, I wouldn't go too much on that - it's already played several times at the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square - an indication that it's at least already something of a modern cult classic.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 December, 2013, 03:01:55 AMOh promotional machine, why, why, why!
In hindsight, it's like they wanted to distance Dredd from normal action fare, showing it had some depth. The thing is, the action-packed Japanese trailer was more of a draw, and the UK/US one essentially gave away the entire plot. A pity. Still, we got a great film out of it that finally laid the Stallone ghost to rest, and that's more than I thought I'd ever see.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: AndyLee on 11 December, 2013, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 11 December, 2013, 09:20:45 PM
DREDD 2 would be a lovely christmas present.

I think you are more likely to see Santa. There was a screening of Dredd at our local arts centre to finish up the  Dredd art exhibition. Three people turned up. Me and fellow boarder DrEdgeWild and his girlfriend. If £2 and free popcorn can't get bums on seats I don't know what will.

Where is this and where is the Dredd art exhibition?

dweezil2

Quote from: radiator on 12 December, 2013, 10:06:22 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't go too much on that - it's already played several times at the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square - an indication that it's at least already something of a modern cult classic.

Yeah, I caught it at the PC a couple of times and it was still fantastic-nice print too!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Theblazeuk

I see now it was in Plymouth.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Perhaps DREDD will always be a cult character and a cult Movie unable to cross over to the mainstream. Ah, to see Judge Death on screen! Not going to happen for the moment anyway.

Most Blockbusters these days seem to be aimed at the tweeny market, 12/12A. I don't see anyone risking millions on a 12 A version of Judge Dredd but RoboCop, an 18 certificate Film in my day has been re done so you never know.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dweezil2

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 12 December, 2013, 11:13:52 AM
I don't see anyone risking millions on a 12 A version of Judge Dredd but RoboCop, an 18 certificate Film in my day has been re done so you never know.

Yes, as a 12A!   :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 December, 2013, 11:20:21 AM
I don't see anyone risking millions on a 12 A version of Judge Dredd but RoboCop, an 18 certificate Film in my day has been re done so you never know.
Yes, as a 12A!   :o

Yeah I heard the Brazilian Director had a pretty hard time on making it with any idea he had squashed by the Producers. Satire targeting Capitalism is something Hollywood Bigwigs are most unlikely to encourage.

― Nikola Tesla

GordonR

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 12 December, 2013, 11:33:46 AM
Yeah I heard the Brazilian Director had a pretty hard time on making it with any idea he had squashed by the Producers. Satire targeting Capitalism is something Hollywood Bigwigs are most unlikely to encourage.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Popular culture is awash with stuff critiquing modern capitalism - all those blockbuster movies about the little guy against evil corporations or government conspiracies. This stuff is popular because it taps into something people want to see, and so Hollywood is more than happy to provide those stories since it can make a lot of money off them.

However, action movies + satire seem to be box office poison. Mainstream audiences just don't seem to want that element mixed into what they're expecting - see the box office fate of Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers for details. (Or, even further back, The Last Action Hero.) That's why it's probably going to be missing from the Robocop remake.

IAMTHESYSTEM

We get our Justice from Fiction now a days since reality always proves disappointing in that respect! ;) The ease with which the banking class escaped any censor for their mismanagement should tell you that.

You'd  think the world of Judge Dredd would be a gold mine for Hollywood scribes but maybe it's a case of information overload.

Where do you start? With DREDD /RICO growing up; one becoming a fearless Law enforcer the other corrupt and a crook. The Robot War, the Dark Judges?

― Nikola Tesla

Recrewt

Perhaps DREDD will always be a cult character and a cult Movie unable to cross over to the mainstream. Ah, to see Judge Death on screen! Not going to happen for the moment anyway.

Most Blockbusters these days seem to be aimed at the tweeny market, 12/12A. I don't see anyone risking millions on a 12 A version of Judge Dredd but RoboCop, an 18 certificate Film in my day has been re done so you never know.

I know I am straying into armchair director mode here but my take on it was that the recent Dredd movie had poor marketing and did not have enough wow-factor to get bums on seats.  Going to the cinema is not cheap so people pick those movies which look like they will deliver impressive visuals otherwise it becomes a "I'll wait for the DVD" movie.  The trailers for Dredd failed to inspire and in hindsight it was probably a bad idea to call the movie Dredd - that just created an instant link in people's minds with the Stallone movie. 

I also think that what makes a good Dredd strip does not make a good movie.  Something like Judgement Day, which many Dredd fans are not too keen on, could do better.  With a big fat budget to do it, how well would the movie do with a trailer showing the Big Meg, hoardes of zombies trying to get into the city, a couple of action clips and then MC2 getting nuked?  Many of us might not like it but I suspect it would get more folks to the cinema.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Recrewt on 12 December, 2013, 01:40:54 PM
it was probably a bad idea to call the movie Dredd

What, pray tell, do you think it should have been called?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

Marketing + 3D pricing + a limited release. However marketing was really, truly terribly done. Trailers were good but didn't play anywhere.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that forcing a movie title to actually have 3D in its proper title is a good idea. It's terrible. I went to see Dredd, in 3D.

Recrewt

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 December, 2013, 01:50:20 PM
Quote from: Recrewt on 12 December, 2013, 01:40:54 PM
it was probably a bad idea to call the movie Dredd

What, pray tell, do you think it should have been called?

Cheers

Jim

Something more emotive like 'The Raid', 'The Killing Zone' or even 'Mega City Justice'.  From comments I have seen around the internet and such it doesn't seem like 'Dredd' has particularly inspired or helped as a movie name.  How often have we seen comments like 'I thought it was a sequel/remake of the Stallone movie'.

M.I.K.

Random Member of Public #1 : "Have you seen that new trailer for 'Mega City Killing Raiders of Justice Zone' yet?"

Random Member of Public #2 : "No. What's that about?"

Random Member of Public #1 : "Judge Dredd."