Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I was a very critical 12 year old!  :P

The plot holes or leaps in the old show were much easier to overlook when the show  made an effort to explain  stuffor just plain keep it simple - sometimes the explanation was a bit weak, but it showed some care.  Zygons dont make much sense with their Loch Ness Monster, but I don't want to pick them apart because the show wisely keeps the narrative simple enough to follow and engage in other ways - I'm not having to try and fill in the gaps in those old shows with any old grout of my own invention.  Here, there is only the plot, the mystery of the plot - it asks you to conssider the mystery of the plot - how are these things connected? it keeps asking you to consider.....  but then has no answers, and outright contradictions.... so the gaps are all there is (bar some funny banter and worthy* messages)

*and I say worthy in a very positive sense - I thnk they undermine the positivity of those messages by the threadbare plottng they utilise them in, but yeah, The Green Death  - go for it!

I mean, you can look at The Invisible Enemy and say "we have carte blanche to be as silly as that"...

Or put it another way, we should set the bar for Dredd at Elviss the Killer Car, or Judge Tyrannosaur, because they exist?

Dandontdare

Ah, I'm a bit drunk, so that Dredd comparison ...

Leigh S

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/69811/joe-hill-doctor-who-bbc-rejection

Presumably Moffatt rather than Chibster, but what the actual?

I mean, they might have been bad, but as bad as Kill The Moon?

Colin YNWA

Yeah saw that on Bleeding Cool the other day. You have to wonder what a Joe Hill Doctor Who would have been like, and alas we will just have to wonder.

JamesC

Tuned in halfway through and thought they'd pulled a Dr Who/Picard crossover but it was just some old baldy ghostly bloke. Tuned out again 5 mins later.

Colin YNWA

Season continues to be improved, that one was pretty good. Still wearing its themes very much on its sleeves and has no subtly at all but the stories are at least well constructed now and the dialogue fun. Again all the performances being enhanced by having something worth performing.

Good episode.

Leigh S

Yeah, that was an improvement, although I don't think they had thought how the finger effect was going to work on screen! 

I dont't mind the odd Cosmic level foe - Celestial Toymaker for the first Dr - The MAster (of Fiction) for the Second, Azal for Third, Sutekh, The Guardians...

IndigoPrime

That episode went down well in this household. And although the theme of mental wellness wasn't subtle, it was less smash-in-your-face than the ones on saving the planet and plastic, and largely dealt with in a warm and human manner.

Tiplodocus

Yes, I enjoyed that. Subtle? Not in the slightest. Effective? Yeah, I think so.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Leigh S on 09 February, 2020, 09:06:44 PM
I dont't mind the odd Cosmic level foe - Celestial Toymaker for the first Dr - The MAster (of Fiction) for the Second, Azal for Third, Sutekh, The Guardians...

FENRIC!

von Boom

Much better episode than last week. Sure the Doctor was duped once more by empathy but at least there is some movement on the series arc. They even used Graham for more than the occasional quip. I hope it keeps improving through to the end of the series.

Dandontdare

Not bad, but I think they are still relying too much on convenient info-dumps. (nice wee animation tho)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 February, 2020, 03:03:10 PM(nice wee animation tho)

Oh yeah forgot to mention that. That was a nice touch I thought.

Proudhuff

will catch up on this tonight...
DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 February, 2020, 04:40:56 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 February, 2020, 03:03:10 PM(nice wee animation tho)

Oh yeah forgot to mention that. That was a nice touch I thought.
It should have been voiced by Stephen Fry in the same manner as a HHGTTG entry. It would have been much better use of Fry.