Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 07 July, 2023, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 July, 2023, 01:50:38 PM40 Years of Scream! Hardcover, 464 pages, 25 April 2024

464 pages!  Could this be every issue of Scream reprinted in a single volume?  Has "Diceman" kicked off a trend?  Will we soon see the Complete School Fun for everyone to, er, not buy?

Celebrating 40 years since IPC launched the UK's most iconic 'horror' anthology, this single volume collects all of the strips included in the 15-issue run of Scream!

Produced 'from the depths' of King's Reach Tower by the mysterious 'undead' editor Ghastly McNasty, the first issue of Scream! was unleashed on 24th March 1984. More tongue-in-cheek than horrific, the comic was an immediate hit with younger fans as it included a pair of fake vampire fangs attached to the cover and a number of fantastic new strips from such talents as Alan Moore, John Wagner, Jose Ortiz, Cam Kennedy, Tom Tully, Alan Grant and Eric Bradbury.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

nxylas

I thought it ran for longer than 15 issues.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Dash Decent

There were five specials as well, but it doesn't look like they're included.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

Stories in specials in those days were often quite poor and not written by the original writers, so it's probably no great loss.

rs_jr

I really hope Dante and Slaine get the same treatment nemesis definitive edition is getting

broodblik

Cover for Rogue Trooper "Blighty-Valley":

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: rs_jr on 07 August, 2023, 04:01:00 AMI really hope Dante and Slaine get the same treatment nemesis definitive edition is getting
I was curious to see how that would stack up. What surprised me is how compact Nemesis is, coming in at about 800 pages (which splits neatly across five books). Sláine is sprawling: close to 2500 pages. So that'd be a dozen volumes of this size (and I do wonder if there would be a drop of in sales after Horned God).

Dante surprised me, though – I knew it was hefty, but I didn't realise its page count rivalled Sláine's – from what I can tell, it's around 1800. So that'd make for nine deluxe volumes.

I'd love to see it, but to be honest I'm happy enough with the Hachette volumes for HC 2000 AD. And I'd be concerned about the series just stopping, given that we'd get, what, maybe a book a year? Nine years seems a punt, to say the least, even for one of my favourites.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 August, 2023, 10:26:29 AM
Quote from: rs_jr on 07 August, 2023, 04:01:00 AMI really hope Dante and Slaine get the same treatment nemesis definitive edition is getting
I was curious to see how that would stack up. What surprised me is how compact Nemesis is, coming in at about 800 pages (which splits neatly across five books). Sláine is sprawling: close to 2500 pages. So that'd be a dozen volumes of this size (and I do wonder if there would be a drop of in sales after Horned God).

Dante surprised me, though – I knew it was hefty, but I didn't realise its page count rivalled Sláine's – from what I can tell, it's around 1800. So that'd make for nine deluxe volumes.

I'd love to see it, but to be honest I'm happy enough with the Hachette volumes for HC 2000 AD. And I'd be concerned about the series just stopping, given that we'd get, what, maybe a book a year? Nine years seems a punt, to say the least, even for one of my favourites.
I'm still hopeful that they continue/expand the "Search & Destroy" Volumes (especially the web shop exclusives - nice)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Quote from: Richard on 30 July, 2023, 03:34:05 PMStories in specials in those days were often quite poor and not written by the original writers, so it's probably no great loss.

Au contraire - the Scream Holiday Special 1985 remains to this day on my all time top 10 comics list.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 August, 2023, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: Richard on 30 July, 2023, 03:34:05 PMStories in specials in those days were often quite poor and not written by the original writers, so it's probably no great loss.

Au contraire - the Scream Holiday Special 1985 remains to this day on my all time top 10 comics list.

Side-note: the Revolver Horror Special (1990) was also rather good.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 29 August, 2023, 04:26:16 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 29 August, 2023, 04:16:28 PM

Side-note: the Revolver Horror Special (1990) was also rather good.

100%.
I obtained a gratis copy of it from a generous boarder on this very forum many years ago.

JohnW

Quote from: broodblik on 29 August, 2023, 08:20:20 AMCover for Rogue Trooper "Blighty-Valley":

That is a stone-cold killer of a cover, and possibly the best thing I've seen from the pen of Patrick Goddard.

(Mona Plankhurst diving through a block war - Prog 2263 - is a strong contender for personal favourite, though.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Max Headroom

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 29 August, 2023, 11:04:46 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 August, 2023, 10:26:29 AM

Dante surprised me, though – I knew it was hefty, but I didn't realise its page count rivalled Sláine's – from what I can tell, it's around 1800. So that'd make for nine deluxe volumes.

I'm still hopeful that they continue/expand the "Search & Destroy" Volumes (especially the web shop exclusives - nice)

I think they will continue with the Strontium Dog volumes although I wish that there could be more than just one a year. I would also really like to see Slaine given the deluxe Nemesis treatment with improved repro for the earlier stories (although I take on board Indigo Prime's concern about the length of time it could take to finish). In my humble opinion, deluxe hardcover books for the most iconic stories is the way to go.

nxylas

I'd just like to see Slaine released in a uniform edition, with numbered volumes and a slightly more logical split between them. IIRC, Warrior's Dawn doesn't include the last couple of Belardinelli stories. Whereas to my mind, Kincaid/McMahon/Belardinelli is one era of the strip, and Fabry/Pugh/Pugh/Barney McGrew/Cuthbert/Dibble/Grubb is another.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.