Main Menu

Prog 2212 - Elecrtifying 100 page Xmas Issue!

Started by Dandontdare, 15 December, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I thought that happened in the last Hershey series?

broodblik

The last prog of the year ends the cycle with a bang, what a humdinger prog.  I do not have the patience to wait until Christmas day or any other day. The prog is available I jump in and read it.

Dredd – Niemand and PJ has created a cool new "nemesis" for Dredd. Yet again Chimpsky gets the better of Dredd in a great feel-good story. Yes, a happy ending for a change.

S/D – This is good stand-alone S/D story with some great action and great art. I like the way the colours are used here by Teague starting in techno-colour and moving over to a more grey-scale b/w. I know a lot of folk will bemoan this, but the creative team has not tried to re-event or re-image Johnny and Wulf but continued in the same manner that the original stories where told.

Survival Geeks – A enjoyable epilogue to the series. Sam and Simon continue their mundane life with both cannot admit that they miss their adventures. Googe really goes out on a limb with some nice visuals again. The last page is just awesome.

Deadworld – Another disturbing (or in this case less) tale from the world of Death. At least this one has a more off a happy ending.

Proteus Vex – The return of my favourite series this year.  The series continues form where we left. Carroll has certainly created a unique and interesting new sci-fi world. Lynch provides the art this round and he does not disappoint with some great extraterrestrial alien designs.

Slaine –It is now almost 2 years since we first saw the advert for the new series. If this is the last series hopefully Mills's can give us a proper farewell.  The art is phenomenal, each panel crafted with finesse and a pleasure to behold. So far just some action and mayhem let us see where the story leads us. 

Hersey – The first series surely got some interesting feedback.  From the beginning this was a story about revenge and the cost of this revenge would be on mind, body, and soul.  I enjoyed the first series and the first episode start with a blast.

Time Twisters – This was fun, ridiculous stupid fun. 

Durham Red – Good to see Worley and Willsher back on Red. The story starts with some interesting twists and turns. Red is caged but for how long?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I dont think there was a bad page in that. Seeing Slaine back in the prog was like completing a game of Je ga that had been going on  bit too long and was getting stacked too high- and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I turned the page and saw it.
Surprisingly, Durham Red was just underneath it for me- 'surprisingly' because I've not really warmed to this iteration up til now. This one, however, was absolutely spot on.

Everything else was better than i hoped- even Proteus Vex, from which I didnt get much pleasure last time. I could actually follow this opening episode- hope that continues. Also, while I'm in the minority who very much liked Hershey last time and had no problems with her 'coming back from the dead', I wasnt greatly looking forward to this go round. Shouldn't have worried- Dirty Frank! Marvellous.

As I say, not a bad page throughout. But since posts that just praise everything are deeply dull- a bit like that Letter of the Week written by some complete arse- I'll stop this one here. Safe to say, I loved it all.

And no, I havent received my graphic novel yet. Wonder what it will be?

SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

*Jenga. Je ga is the Klingon version, played with fake infant heads- cos that's like, daaark, man.

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

I always enjoy a Christmas Dredd and this was a good 'un - also nice to see the nasty side of the Justice Department again.

The Time Twister was great; some lovely nods to the past there and lots of tongue-in-cheek meta type jokes too.

Sláine has got off to a good start - of course, the artwork is utterly amazing.  I think all the major Sláine tales have been told, but I still enjoy the shorter, less noteworthy stories in the vein of The Shoggy Beast and Carnival.  If this really is the last one, I will miss the strip.

SD was ok - I don't have a huge problem with other creators having a shot.  Not incredible, but not a bad story.  (By the way, Laurence Campbell isn't Lol who used to draw O'Rork and Cal Hab Justice in the Meg, is he?)

Never really got my head around Survival Geeks; I've never been a huge convention-goer or memorabilia-collector so maybe it's not aimed at the likes of me.  I did like this story though; seemed a nice little epilogue to the whole thing.

Deadworld was as high-quality as always.  Now we've got our own [spoiler]Michonne[/spoiler]!  To paraphrase an old Strange Cases one-off: In many places this wouldn't be considered a happy ending.  But in Deadworld, it's the best you'll get.

Hershey - I'm sorry, I know it's way more important that a pandemic is ravaging the world, racism is on the rise and we're all headed for financial disaster, but I really, really hate that 2000ad has done this.  Hershey's death was one of the most touching moments in modern Dredd history, and like all epic Colin McNeil epic death scenes, it's squandered.  It's not the worst story around, but I just wish it had a different protagonist.

Sorry to end on a down-note - in any case, so far it's a good, solid Christmas prog and I'm looking forward to Proteus Vex and Durham Red later today.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 December, 2020, 01:15:46 PM
Hershey - I'm sorry, I know it's way more important that a pandemic is ravaging the world, racism is on the rise and we're all headed for financial disaster, but I really, really hate that 2000ad has done this.  Hershey's death was one of the most touching moments in modern Dredd history, and like all epic Colin McNeil epic death scenes, it's squandered.  It's not the worst story around, but I just wish it had a different protagonist.

The best head-canon fudge is that it's all a Jacob's Ladder-style deathbed hallucination.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 December, 2020, 01:45:16 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 December, 2020, 01:15:46 PM

The best head-canon fudge is that it's all a Jacob's Ladder-style deathbed hallucination.

For Hershey or me?

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 16 December, 2020, 06:24:10 PM
*Jenga. Je ga is the Klingon version, played with fake infant heads- cos that's like, daaark, man.

SBT

And of course, what I really meant there was TETRIS. That'll teach me to post while my wife is talking at me.

SBT

Tjm86

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 17 December, 2020, 04:51:48 PM
That'll teach me to post while my wife is talking at me.

You do anything other than listen while your wife talks to you?????

:o

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

My wife is a cockney- I have literally no idea what she is saying most of the time, but it's mostly swears. I have learned to read her elbows and the degree of their vigorous gesticulating in order to judge her mood.

SBT

Tjm86

Ah, know what you mean.  My mam is Eastend born too.  Ironically although the only one to be able to make that claim, her brothers and sisters all sound far more Cockney than she does despite living just south of Cambridge.

Richard

They're probably over-compensating for having moved away.

norton canes

Just here to say, got my Xmas prog, brilliant to have the old 100-pager again, not going to read any of this thread until I've finished it...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 18 December, 2020, 12:20:09 AM
They're probably over-compensating for having moved away.

It's a definite thing. My accent shifted a county north while I was at university in the Home Counties and I wasn't conscious of doing it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.