Main Menu

Meg 224 - Incredible Thong

Started by Bad Andy, 19 September, 2004, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

There seems to have been a bit of a mix-up here.  I called him 'Gunman' when I wrote the article, which wasn't the right name.  Someone's corrected it to 'Gunnar', which is also wrong, although there a character by that name in the Dan Dare story, only it wasn't the guy I was talking about.

My point stands though.  'Hitman' is still a crap name.

Mangamax

Reckon that Gunnar was one of Wulf's "little vulfs" he's been sowing...
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

The Amstor Computer

"Grud forbid it become all pious and thinky."

I don't want "pious and thinky", but I'd like to see something a *little* bit smarter than "Hey, isn't that titting TNG shit? And hasn't Shatner gotten really twatting fat?"

:-)

Art

VampiraJen

am i the only person getting bored of si banging on about how much he hates spiderman movies.  i mean his rant here was mildly amusing, then in an interview it got repetitive, and when i saw a big pic of spidey in the meg i though, fuck, here we go again........

also, is it just me or it the paper quality of the new meg crap?  it's so thin and cheap to feel......

Marbles

The best text piece I've seen in a comic is the recent columns in 'Metal Hurlant' which covers all kinds of sci-fi & fantasy pop culture ephermea (sp?).
The Meg could do worse than hire the writer or at least get someone to write something in a similar vein.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Proudhuff

Proudhuff dashes into the Chamber from behind Thargs chair points at the opposition benches and shouts
'See! See! You've muched up pensions, Everything that the Trout Said about the Meg is True!'
before being wrestled to the ground by aging men in tights, swords and tail coats.

DDT did a job on me

Smiley

All good stuff. The interview with John Burns was a real treat.

Darryl

Was glad to see that they havn't dropped Charley's War, but not so glad to see the Dredd Files is still there....

The two dredd stories are good, but with Total War just starting in the prog,. wouldnt it be an idea to have one of them tie in?

Simping Detective - I love this character! And as for THAT outfit... well, I should write to the Daily mail about this filth... ;-)

Shimura - I missed most of his earlier stories, so Im a bit huh? about this. Andy Clark's artwork is as good as ever though.

Anderson - Please get a move on! this is soooo slooow....

Young Middenface - made me laugh. moves at a good pace - cant believe this is the same Alan Grant as above....

Judge Fear - heh.

havent read the rest yet, saving it for a boring trip home on the bus....

Trout

Meg/Prog tie-ins?

After the pain in the arse that Narcos robot war thing was to keep up with, you don't have my vote, I'm afraid.

- Trout

paulvonscott

"Meg/Prog tie-ins?"

Erm... no.

I lost my original post.  How posterity must weep to herself.

Middenface is great.  Lovely to have Ridgeway back on it, he gives it a really human touch, and does these outdoor locations really well. 'Yes, Ridgeway, more rural than urban one thinks.

Some of those opinion columns in the meg were very very weak and slackly written.  I appreciate the sentiment behind the star trek one, but not the drunken pub banter way it was put in the meg.  Others are also not very good.

I found Rennie's to be pretty good, even though I expected it to annoy me for going on about bloody Rogue Trooper again.

Outstanding John Burns interview from the Bish.  A real overview of his career, and an insight into what makes him tick.  Great.

other than that, Charley's War was really affecting this issue, superb.  

I thought Andy Clarke's art had nicked another notch with this Shumura thing - well done to him.  It really suited the Japanese stuff. More kiddies suffering though, I worry about Mr Morrisons childhood.  

And I even think Smith can be forgiven for having vampires in his bitefight story.  As it is THE vampire in this issue.  I thought it was much better than meatmonger.

Anderson's story seems such a downswing after the excellent half-life.

Tiplodocus

Loved all the comic stories in the Meg this month.  Felt that the bit in Anderson where he guts th ebody was very well done. And the relentless carnage in Charley's War is starting to get to me.

Also liked the Meatwagon story - if you are going to have filler Dredd tales, I much prefer this sort of thing to the SNOZZBOURNES and B*WITCHED.

I applaud the thinking behind the text features but agree that the delivery leaves a bit to be desired.  "Pub banter" is a very fair description of the Star Trek one (or ten year old stand-up comedy material) - I think we deserve better than that. I reckon at least half of the message board could have written a better 850 words on Star Trek. (OK, maybe I'm stretching the point).

I may be wrong but I don't see Mr Spurrier's column (fnar) as a film review column.

I think he's just talking about films and therefore Spidey being as bit dated isn't an issue for me (and I've not seen any of his other rants because of the injunction he put out).  I do think he's sort of shot himself in the foot a bit though.  I think it's going to be a bit hard to get away from the "Well, it's all crap isn't it when you consider 9/11?" point of view. Well, yes. Everything is.  (Do I need to point out that I am only a long-necked and small brained dinosaur and have probably missed the point).

But yeah, top Meg. Some classy writing (Devlin Waugh is a top twist for what I assumed was going to be a dull vampire tale), the bethonged Demarco is also another good guest appearance - I must say I prefer this presentation of T&A considerably more than something like Valkryies.

I think I'm going to reread it all again.  
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dudley

I quite liked the Star Trek review.  I thought it was very funny.  Am I entirely alone in this?

The Amstor Computer

Al_Ewing

Text pieces = POSSIBLE WORK and thus are GRATE.

Time to dust off my RETURN TO ARMOGEDDON rant.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.