Main Menu

odders here's one for you

Started by Valhalla, 31 January, 2005, 03:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valhalla

Oddboy

Heh... some scallywag is selling off a convension sketch?
Already got a couple similar from the Man himself personally.
Better set your phaser to stun.

shazhughes

Convention sketch sellers, the lowest form of e-bay scum.

Max Kon

so low that other e-bay scum look down on them

Conexus

pah! I won't be getting rid of thi baby, granted it ain't a con sketch (except that it is for
(con)exus, more of a messageboard sketch,my first sketch none the less , so there's definate sentimental value*, so it ain't being sold
 http://www.2000adonline.com/images/artwork/PJdreddfrcon.jpg>

*And a rather good Dredd pic anyway, though I admit I might be slightly biased in this opinion

El Spurioso

But not so low that people don't bother bidding.  ?18 when I checked!  Bloody hell...  That probably took Steve 5 minutes.

It's when you see this sort of shit going on that you start to sympathise with the angry murmurings amongst artists of a "we should charge for sketches" nature.

I'm pretty sure there was a convention one year where the idea arose to charge a couple of quid for sketches that would go immediately to the charity?  Or at least to the beer fund...?  Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Alternatively, it's imperative that every artist includes the name of the sketch recipient on the work, to stymie mercenary shathawks like our ebaying chum.

Conexus

I could go for both of those cause you can't disagree with charity (unless it's a wierdo one like one that helps asyum seekers**  *shudder* )
And putting the name of the recipient will increase the sentimental value of it, if they care at all, and aren't mercenary hawks.

**I'm joking there - It's when i  read the Daily Mail that I shudder

Conexus

Odd, artists get asked to draw quick sketches during cons, why aren't writers asked do write shot plot synopsises ;)

The Amstor Computer

Is there an equivalent of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund over here? Or some other organisation that looks after comic writers/artists? A donation of a couple of quid per sketch to a group like that would be an idea, surely?

...and yes, the wankers who sell on sketches they blag from artists should fuck right off.

Conexus

and yes, the wankers who sell on sketches they blag from artists should fuck right off.

But how ? (I think most - if not all- on this board would be in agreement over this matter *especialy Fraze*)

The Amstor Computer

Well, I think the suggestion that artists clearly dedicate each sketch is a step in the right direction. It's not going to deter someone from slicing off a dedication that doesn't obscure the art, though.

I don't know that there's that much that can be done about it, to be honest, but I think dedications would cut some of the problems & a charity donation would take some of the sting out of seeing your work resold.

Max Kon

Or do like Jock does and make the dedication part of the drawing, block names

Art

They could make the sketches crappier?

Conexus

They could make the sketches crappier?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Floyd-the-k

I'm an outsider in this; I don't go to conventions and if I did, I wouldn't bother getting sketches. But I can't see what's so bad about ebaying them. Do the artists do the sketches on the understanding that it won't be sold?  I'm not saying I want to defend the practice, just I can't see why it's bad.
  I like the idea of writers doing convention plots/stories etc.  Probably Harlan Ellison's done it at some time.