Main Menu

Techy Pooter-Type Advice Needed!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 09 July, 2006, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Sorry about this, folks - I know that someone posted a very similar query to this a little while ago, but I can't find the thread, and my circumstances (from memory) are a little different, so here goes:

I'm currently getting screwed on my NTL package and would actually save about ?20 a month if I switch to one of their packages including broadband.

Since broadband is uncharted territory for me, I need some help!

We currently have my venerable G4 running OS9.1, my wife's bog standard Dell box running XP and will shortly be adding a Mac Mini as a home entertainment centre, which will be running whatever flavour of OSX is current.

I need an idiot-proof solution to give all these machines access to the broadband connection - I'm assuming that I will need some kind of router for this, but none of the existing machines have wireless network capability.

Do I need to add Airport cards to the Macs? What about the XP box? How much configuration is needed, and how difficult is it to set up?

Confusion, she reigns! Assistance much appreciated ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

... Oh, as an additional thought:

I have no objection to a little DIY and actually running cables round the house if that's a cheaper and/or easier solution.

Also: when the NTL guys come to do the installation, they're going to want to connect up one of the computers. Would it be easier to let them do the XP box (and let them configure it) and then network the connection off that?

Cheers!

Jim

Buddy

I'm in a similar position.

Soon to get a new Dell laptop and other half is using a Mac Powerbook.

Probably going to end up getting wirelass connection, which will mean getting a card type thing for the mac as the Dell is wirelas enabled.

Better check with NTL that they offer support for Mac installation. I'm with TISCALI and they don't!

If they don't do macs they'll just connect the PC and leave the mac installation up to you.

Let us know how you get on, the info will be handy when I'm doing the same.

NikolaiDante

To be honest, wireless is the best way to go UNLESS all the machines are in the same room. If they are not you would have to lay ethernet cable around your house which is somewhat of a pain.

Wireless network cards are generally peasy to install. I personally use a Netgear router. There are now routers which either plug into the DSL line direct or the cable system (as you have now) making life easier. You should pay no more than ?80 for one.

I can't comment on the Mac for wireless (go to PC World they should be able to help) but the XP machine is easy. You can even get USB Wireless NICs now so you don't even have to take the computer cover off.

Very important : If you do use WiFi then 1) Make sure you change the admin username & password on the router and 2) make sure you use WEP encryption (the router instructions will explain this). If you don't do this then you leave your network wide open for hackers.

If you need any more advice on this then just drop me a line. I currently have 3 PCs, 1 laptop, my XBOX and my DVD Player all connecting together via WiFi - oh and there's a NetPrinter on the system as well.
Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

Dan Kelly

Very easy to get the Macs to connect to a standard WiFi Router - you will need to get Airport cards though.

There's quite a lot of information out there about making sure that the card settings are correct.

Alternatively you can buy all airport and get the router to play nice with the non-airport wireless card in the PC - which is basically what I've done with the Nintendo DS.

Third option is to get a broadband router/switch combination and lay a load of ethernet cable.  You will get better out-of security (wires a lot harrder to hack in the home) and quite possibly cheaper.

IndigoPrime

My set-up is as follows:

Broadband
|
Netgear wireless router
|
G5 (connected via Ethernet) | iBook (airport) | Acer laptop (Netgear WG111T USB wireless dongle)

Getting OS X Macs to talk to an unsecured network will require no action on your part at all. If you add WEP, it's a bit more hassle, but should still only take a minute or so. No idea about OS 9.

Jim_Campbell

Thanks for that, chaps! Bloody marvellous.

A little research has revealed that all Apple's current Airport kit is OSX only, which rules out making the G4 wireless. [1]

However, it does have an Ethernet port, so I figure I can mimic IP's setup above, with the G4 hooked up to a Netgear router direct by Ethernet cable; the Netgear wireless USB-thingy in the missus' Dell box; and the Mac Mini, when it finally comes along, will already have Airport and should find the router as well.

Fan-chuffing-tastic.

Cheers!

Jim

[1] No ... upgrading to OSX is not an option.

Quite apart from lacking the processor oomph to run it, the G4 is hooked up to a lot of legacy kit from my Performa 6400 and I definitely can't afford to buy a new A3 colour inkjet and A5 graphics tablet as well!