Main Menu

Can Anyone Remember What These Are?

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 08 August, 2006, 09:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

"There was this cartoon about boy and his shaggy dog travelling through magic wyrm holes and haveingf lots of adventures. "

Jamie and the magic torch maybe?

http://freespace.virgin.net/greg.taylor1/watched_it/jamie.htm
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Trough

I remember the dinosaur one.   It was a statue that came to life, with some kids inside.   Can't remember its name, but it's definitely been mentioned on The Mausoleum, which is the ultimate "can anybody remember this programme?" site.   They know all!

Link: http://www.the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/xmb/index.php" target="_blank">The Mausoleum

ThryllSeekyr

Yea, well it's abit dated now, but I used to enjoy watching it.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_FQKHQDYk" target="_blank">Jamie and the Magic Torch.

Lobo Baggins

The first was a BBC children?s programme as far as I can remember ( I was very young at the time). I?m 32 and it was on in the mid to late 70?s. It was one of those period type dramas that they used to do. I seem to remember statues that came to life, which involved lots of actors in white make up. I also seem to remember some dinosaur statues which may or may not have come to life. To be honest I?ve got such a vague idea about the whole thing the human statues could have been ghosts. It isn?t Dark Towers as it was on a lot earlier than that. I seem to recall a lot of scenes taking place at night (but of course which were actually filmed in the day and then treated with filters to look like night).

Moondial?

That had statue people in it, if I recall...

However, it was made in 1988, so maybe not.

Link: http://www.thechestnut.com/moondial/moon-dial.htm" target="_blank">Linky link link!

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Rio De Fideldo

Deffo not Moondial. It was the Enchanted Castle as Quickafleeg rather brilliantly worked out from my poor description.

For HOU and anyone else interested my parents and I moved from Durham to a rural farmhouse in Yorkshire in 1984. There was no electricity so my Dad had to turn on a generator for lights hence no TV. By the time we got electricity I was too busy outside playing Rogue Trooper. In other words I was walking about by myself talking to my 'dead' buddies. Happy days!

House of Usher

No, it weren't me that asked about your lack of television in 1984. But it sounds idyllic.

I don't think there were statues comes to life in Moondial, as Lobo Baggins suggested. That had ghost children in it. One Victorian, and one Regency or older. And a very stage-school girl in the presnt day, but it was still a very good bit of children's drama. Not to be confused with The Children of Green Knowe, before anyone else says it...
STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

Dont' recognise any of the TV programmes, but the book was The Giant Under The Snow by John Gordon.
We never really die.

Rio De Fideldo

A massive thanks to The Cosh. That's brilliant. It was The Giant Under the Snow.

Another childhood fever dream confirmed as actually happening

Rio De Fideldo

Whilst we're on a roll can I repeat my request for any thoughts on the cat in history series. thinking about it this may have involved a live action sequence and an animated sequence.

I would then like some help with two more mystery books. I'm looking to you Cosh!

The first was bought from the Puffin Book Club catalogue which used to sent to my school. Once again its circa 1982-3. It involved a child who had a green bed spread. He went to bed drinking a glass of water and before he went to sleep spilt it. In his dream he shrank (possibly)the water was now a lake and the bed spread rolling country side. A dragon or two which may have been on the bed spread came alive and various adventures ensued.

Secondly, and I'm not holding my breath here, I would like info regarding an Enid Blyton short story which marked me as a child. A bunny spends the whole story been mean to all his pals in Toytown (or wherever). Later he realises its his birthday so he sends out invites and spends the rest of his time getting ready for a party in his honour. The twist is..no-one turns up. The end! Any thoughts gratefully received nostalgia fans!

House of Usher

From the dreanged imagination of Enid Blyton... another story where stuff happens, then more stuff happens... then it finishes.

She didn't write the 'Fatburger' Future Shock in Prog 827, did she?

;)
STRIKE !!!

Dash Decent

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 August, 2006, 08:02:35 AM
There was this cartoon about boy and his shaggy dog travelling through magic wyrm holes and haveingf lots of adventures.

Jamie & the Magic Torch?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dandontdare

I imagine after 11 years he's given up caring.....!

I've had a couple bouncing around in my noggin for ages - the first may be quite simple, the second I don't hold out much hope for.

A series of paperback collections of ghost stories for children, published around 76-78.  They were similar to those old Pan book of horror series, but obviously for kids. I'd love to wallow in a bit of nostalgia but without the publisher, t'internet hasn't been much help.

the second is probably the first book I ever read, so this would be around 1971 though I suspect it may have been around for a while. it was about a boy who meets a weird (and  crudely line-drawn) alien with a long bizarre name (which I think was the title of the book). It may have had two heads.

judda fett

DDD would that series of children's ghost stories be the Armarda Ghost Stories? I seem to remember owning the 12th Armarda Ghost book in the early 80's.

Dandontdare

YES! I've just googled the covers and those are the very ones.

I got a prize for coming top of class in primary school and our head took the prizewinners to a local bookshop where we each had £5 to spend - I think I managed to get three of these, to his obvious disapproval! They were bloody brilliant stories, easy to read but genuinely spooky.

judda fett

I think I got mine from a catalogue that used to come to our school that was called the 'Chips Book Club'. A good spooky read aye.