Main Menu

Transformers Trailer

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 December, 2006, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

IndigoPrime

Nope. See the link below for the full line-upâ??and even those in the film bear no visual resemblance to their comic or cartoon counterparts anyway.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_2007" target="_blank">Transformers 2007

Bico

Kind of begs the question why they bothered making the film in the first place - but then it's all about the opening weekend box-office revenue anyway.

Wils

If there's a God...

... Frank Welker will be the voice of Megatron.

Bico

Pff.  That's just COMMON SENSE.  If that's not the case, then there's no saving it.
And Peter Cullen as Optimus prime.

Cough

IndigoPrime

Sources suggest Cullen has actually been cast, as both Optimus Prime and Ironhide.

El Spurioso

I think the trailer looks pretty fucking good, myself.  CGI and all.

Are you all just being pissy because the premise/look/design/whatever is different to the cartoon (never really watched it), or am I missing some obvious deficiency in the depiction of big stompy robots?  With guns.

IndigoPrime

It's not that the designs look differentâ??I just think they look shit, lacking any real sense of character. Running the big reveals in the trailer was also a rather curious thing, too, but then I guess this is an action flick.

Bico

For years I thought Optimus was voiced by Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince.
As long as it's entertaining, there's no reason it shouldn't take liberties with the story, look and personalities of the characters - the toy line and tv shows were going through constant revisions every two years or so, and most fans didn't mind (until Beast Wars, at any rate).  My gripe is that it doesn't look light-years better than the fan-made stuff - which I think I'm entitled to expect, given that I'll be paying about seven quid to watch it in the cinema, while the fan stuff is buckshee.
Also, if you want to be TRULY nerdy about it, Megatron was only present in the very first version of the show, after which he became Galvatron across the other series, except the cgi one with the monkey that no-one cares about.  It really would have taken some persuading the suits to use Megatron instead of Galvatron, given that all the toys have the latter's name on the big bad guy of the franchise.

Out of curiosity, is anyone planning on boycotting the movie because of discrepancies with the original cartoon?  I'm going, but I am curious about anyone considering militancy.

El Spurioso

Surely the whole point of the "Transformers" thing is that the big stompy robots are characters?  Therefore any trailer which DIDn't have any sense of "reveal" to it is just going to be a lot of dumb kids and secondary-characters gawping off-screen a lot.  Which, admittedly, there's plenty of anyway.

I think they manage to show enough to make you realise the aforementioned Big Stompy Robots are a continuous feature throughout the film, without actually giving any "gasp!" moments away.

Carlsborg Expert

It looks like its coming from an ET encounter of humans rather than a robots make friends with humans both ganging up on the bad robots . A typical Speilberg devise is to fund a project more like the War of the Worlds/Close Encouners school of thought.

It could go into a first contact m.o. too or, if it wasn't for the overly sweating bald general, I'd say it was going to cross a maturer board.

A definate bonus seeing it again on HD.

dweezil2

The trailer was fairly impressive, as the generally are, but it's doubtful that the movie will offer any new ideas than other film of its type. I'm expectig the usual generic shocks and stock characters, some vomit inducing flag waving and some insultingly token gay,lesbia, black character(maybe all three). The potential is there to do something dark and audacious, but I'm far to jaded to believe that will happen, just the usual sanitized PG-13 fluff, will probably be the order of the day!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Byron Virgo

"Are you all just being pissy because the premise/look/design/whatever is different to the cartoon (never really watched it), or am I missing some obvious deficiency in the depiction of big stompy robots? With guns."

Well, I can't say that I particularly give a shit about the 'characters' of the Transformers, not having watched the cartoons since I was about six or seven. But I think Rac nailed it on the head when he said that the trailer reminded him of Independance Day. And I fucking hated Independance Day. Plus, Michael Bey's never made a good film during his entire career, and on the basis of the trailer, I don't expect him to suddenly start right now. This just seemed a bit too much like the teaser trailers for the American Godzilla, which reminded me of Independance Day too. Which I fucking hated.

That said, I don't think I'm probably the audience this thing is aimed at, so I don't resent a new generation of viewers getting a kick out of it. But personally, if I'm going to watch a city-stomping monster flick, I think I'll stick with Gojira, Gamera or even The Host.

Now, a Takeshi Kitano-directed kaiju pic - that would be interesting...

SamuelAWilkinson

as I recall, wasn't Megatron eaten by Galvatron in the movie, or some such?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Noisybast

No, he was eaten by Unicron and spat out as Galvatron.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!