Main Menu

General weirdness

Started by Proudhuff, 05 June, 2007, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Fortunately I wasn't contemplating buying any spin-off books from long-dead sitcoms.

You are aware that Alf Garnett is a fictional character, right?

Peter Wolf

Yes indeed !       its just  that  this book has to be seen and read to be believed.        I was just in absolute fits of laughter earlier reading it  and after the other day i am just being a bit careful.

now for that disturbing thread....
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

BlackThrash

Anything to do with Alf Garnett cannot possibly be perceived as rascist, as the actor Warren Mitchell, was himself Jewish and merely poking fun at rascists.

Art

Well, obviously we could spend ages dissecting the deeply complicated and multilayered peice of work that is an ITV Sitcom, but I guess it comes down to this:

Is it funny because you are laughing at a bitterold man?
Or is it funny because you hate foreigners?

The answer may well be one of those eye of the beholder/mirror of the soul type things...

Peter Wolf

I had an unfortunate experience here a few days ago when i posted something.

Its the operant conditioning that i had to be subjected to otherwise i was about to be kicked off this messageboard.    That makes me wary now.

Theres no Wikipedia entry unless i am mistaken.        This book is actually infamous or parts of it are but it is available secondhand

Its   different for jews.    It was the same in Borat in a couple of scenes.

I am not rascist but if i wrote a book like that it would just raise hell.         Its not just rascist  either, its heavily nationalist, mysoginist,   heavily royalist, and anti semitic etc

I will post    one small chapter as this one is safe to post

Its too liberal,England,  thats the trouble,  far too liberal.   People should take a leaf out of the football,  out of the F.A .      I  mean,   If yer workers belong to a factory,   they Belong to that  factory,    they should be forbidden to leave it  until the chairman of the factory wants to sell   em to another factory,    perhaps for a price,  what theyre  worth like.     Most of them aint worth five bob anyway.    But i mean,   they should stay there until the owner wants to sell em,   till he puts them on the transfer list.   Same as yer football   -  its for their own good.    not that footballs perfect.    I mean,   theres too much argument on the football pitch.    same as in yer industry.   T he referee should come on with a big cane so that if a player argues  he can whack their legs!  .

Peter Wolf

Its funny  because i am laughing at a bitter old man.        In 1973  this book probably reflected the views of a vast majority of people especially the older generation as that was what they were like then.     So its just a product of its time     but a lot has changed since then.......

I remember when  very young i was in London with my granny shopping.    We were on the tube when someone started talking to me and they were just being friendly and saying hello.     This person was russian or eastern european or something.       my granny  just immediatly tore into him as he was foriegn and started calling him a fascist Pig amongst other things...

maybe she was just being protective i dont know, but not many people would ever argue with her as she was quite fierce at times and with a very sharp tongue.

my mum is the same as well especially when she cuts someone up when driving or has to be the first to speed off first when the traffic lights go green   and i think she was one of the first feminists as well.

A lot of the older generation are rascist or they were in 1973 anyway.

Noisybast

"Theres no Wikipedia entry unless i am mistaken"

There you go:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Garnett" target="_blank">Wiki Alf Garnett

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Byron Virgo

"Fortunately I wasn't contemplating buying any spin-off books from long-dead sitcoms."

Well what the hell am I supposed to do with these copies of The Trotter Way to Millions and Arthur Daley's Guide to Doing It Right now then?

Peter Wolf

I seem to have lost a money belt today but  no cash and no cards where inside.     Just a library  membership card to report as stolen in the morning......       I dont know if this counts as wierd or lucky.     But anyway.

Art

Possibly it counts as "uninteresting"?

Peter Wolf

Thanks for the reply.    It was a good read but there isnt a specific entry for the book in question.           There may be a reason for this and i am not going to upset any more applecarts by submitting an entry.         No thanks.........Too many reactionarys!

also the article mentioned the satirical nature of the character.    I find these days a lot of people just dont understand satire unless it is spoonfed to them and sometimes even that isnt enough as they just react against the content of the satire and just totally miss the point of it all.

Another boarder,  Queen fiery Bou made a very important point about teaching and setting an example of when swearing is or isnt acceptable to children and encouraging them to be the judge of it rather than just saying dont swear at all.   A very intelligent point that.

I am  obviously not talking about children to you on this post but i think a lot of adults could learn from that point    [i.e   wether or not the material is being used to attack minoritys or wether it is being used to highlight an issue regarding minoritys etc.     Sensitivity has to be used even in satire of course as well.

I am not tolerating do gooders telling me what i can and can not laugh at  [in private].      thats my perogative  and anyway i dont need some do gooder telling me i cant do this or that as i probably know more about being in a minority than they  ever will so they can F off  .

This post isnt being pointed at any members of this board either by the way.

Noisybast

While we're on the subject, "The Thoughts of Chairman Alf" was broadcast as a TV special after the death of writer Johnny Speight. Don't know how much of the material was taken from the book, though.

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Peter Wolf

i am not sure either as i wasnt even aware of the book until yesterday.        The reason i posted it in the wierdness post was because after my episode last weekend i just thought it was very ironic that of all the books i could find it just had to be this one.      

Theres a chapter called   "long haired rubbish   " about music in 1973.

Heres a bit of it:     This long haired stuff,   theres no tune to it,    is there  ?     Its all bloody guitars  all twanging,    i  mean  the piano  was a good instrument.    I mean,   with  a piano,  even if you couldnt play it,    it was nice  in your  front room with a few pictures on it.    You cant  put a bloody guitar in your front room  with pictures on that,  can you  ?        Theyre useless bloody instruments.

good old George Fornby,    he could play and sing,but none of them bloody  long haired kids these days can  !

When im cleaning winders and all that,    Bloody marvellous

Waste of electricity that bloody lot are .

Rex Banner

We have a ghost. I had a few unexplained things going on before the fiancee moved in but since she moved in we've had a plate smash, a glass break and a bowl upset itself.

We haven't had anything major for a while. That was until last week when a page of artwork that is framed and on the wall turned itself upside down.

Peter Wolf

I would like to help as i am the "wierd " boarder here but i have had no experience with   Poltergiest activity  as i have never witnessed it myself ever.

I will see what i can find out anyway       there are various theories flying around about  poltergiest activity.

I was staying at a friends house.  [his mums house].      We all went out at the same time together.    all the windows where closed as it was cold.       when we got home there was blood on the floor in the hallway that was fresh.           We are at a loss to explain it.

another night i was there on my own  and just couldnt get over the fact that i felt i was being watched.       This only happened once as i have stayed in this house countless times with no problems at all.

I am not trying to scare you with this.   I just thought you may find it intersting.

There is one thing i know and it does sound a bit wierd.     but the school of thought is to talk to whatever it is that is causing it if you sense that it is happening around you.

be firm and understanding but ask it to stop.

just say out loud  enough is enough.

This is proven to work in some cases.

I said i didnt know much but this is what i do know about it  that came into my head while writing this post.

For your sake it isnt anything to get panicked about or scared  as it is harmless  and nothing to be scared of at all.    It can end very suddenly as well.

I will probably get pounced on now for being wierd and off topic but i dont care at all.

Maybe thats a cynical view of the board ?   perhaps in time i will be taken a little more seriously?                    Who knows  ?