Main Menu

what distirbed you most about 2000ad as a kid?

Started by mogzilla, 13 June, 2007, 09:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

***For some reason this left me in floods of tears - I was eight at the time! - and freaks me out to this day. I still have no idea why.***

...for in truth you are Sheldon, and some day, you too will take a very long shower.

Floyd-the-k

I didn't read a prog until I was about 33, so can't answer. At that tender age not much disturbed me any more, unless you count a pang of regret that I hadn't discovered it earlier

Peter Wolf

Cut them thinly  like fries and sort of bash them around in the fryer so the edges go crispy  and take them out of the fryer when are golden and shake off excess fat or use kitchen towell to soak up the fat.         And salt them before frying as it is better.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

W. R. Logan

Good morning, Sheldon, I love you!
Starlord 11
Script: John Wagner
Artist: Jose Casanovas

Reprinted
2000AD Annual 1985
Quality: Time Twisters 14

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/rico2074/sheldon.jpg">

Floyd-the-k

I found the yankee kid being eaten by Old One Eye pretty funny; not the eating, but the way he, and everyone else, keeps pointing out that it's the 21st century ("this is the 21st Century, we don't smack kids any more") also going on about the relative size of their brains instead of using those brains and realising that the dinosaurs (a) don't care how much bigger anyone else's brain is and (b) are still pretty dangerous

ThryllSeekyr

I think it was in the story 'Slaine : Queen of the Witches.'(Progs 889 to 896).

Slaine walking through the streets of  Colchestor ( Correct me if I am wrong here.) and it's implied that words to the effect that he slaughtered every husband, wife and child. ( Something like that, but not in those words.)

Then in the accompnaying panel. The image of small girl is shown clutching her dolly, looking fearfully up back up at Slaine as he looms over her.

Probably the first time that it's been implied that Slaine is displaying the much darker side to his personality. ( If there is such a thing, considering what has already been shown.)

I always had the impression that if your were comparing Slaine with Mean Machine. Then he wouldn't even go to four on children.

I thought this out of character with Slaine, though I guess it's not out of character with his Bezerker stereotype. This type if incidence goes with the territory and the time period has to be taken into consideration.

People did things like that to demoralise the enemy or in some cases make them angrier. http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/854.jpg">

Eric Plumrose

I'm sure there are specific examples but I think what disturbed me most as a sprog was the general sense of cynicism that pervaded.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Jim_Campbell

In the early days ...?

Judge Death, without a doubt. The first episode of the original three-parter scared the living sh!te out of me as a kid.

Over in the more 'disturbing' part, ISTR that there was a whole segment in (the otherwise unremarkable) Return to Armageddon where the lead character couldn't be killed and so was subjected to any number of tortures and other indignities but would always survive. That was nasty.

Also from way back when ... I can't dredge up anything specific from memory, but I remember the later episodes of Blackhawk hd some pretty nightmarish stuff from Belardinelli ... and I noticed that Blackhawk seemed to get overlooked in the eulogizing, so maybe everyone has blotted the series from their memory.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

The price goin' intae double figures... verrrae distirbin' indeed.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Trough

Argh!   That's the one!   Thanks Logan (sob!).

Dark Jimbo

When I was young enough to still be really scared by the prog, it was going through its mid-90s fully-painted gorefests, so pretty much any story from any random prog I picked up back then disturbed me (I didn't realise it was weekly, but would pick up an issue if it had boobs or a skull on the cover - hey, I was only eight years old!)

So - The Clown really shat me up, when the zombies were invading.

A Dredd story where the iso-cubes flooded and some big mutant fish ate all the prisoners.

A star scan of the Fink on the back of one prog.

The slaughter of some inoocent civilians and some woman eating sharks in Babe Race 2000.

Most of Bradley.

It wasn't all shit 90's filler that scared me, though - I was lucky enough to read an old copy of the Haunting of Sector House 9 while still young enough to get the desired effect.
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

Its not blotted from mine as i am waiting for an EE   .

Peter Wolf

That opening scene in Judge Dredd   crime file 8  where someone gets hosed down with acid   and a bit later the same character gets acid in the face after letting go of the hose.

BMB

"Steve Pugh's art on 'Monsters', where Feral warp spasms."

Indeed! I was still inprimary school during that, and the episode with the dream sequence with Johnny and McNulty hanging upside down, dead and dismembered, the eyes looked so freaky!

Loved that story though.