Main Menu

smoking ban

Started by PeterWolf, 16 June, 2007, 11:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

I have been reading some planning applications and it seems that some pubs and clubs are making alterations to their premises to provide  smoking areas outside if it is possible to do so but  they have to follow conditions at the same time whatever they are.        So its not an outright ban at all.   Only  in enclosed areas.      But i have heard that some pubs are  going to stop  the smoking club  going outside and lighting up as well.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

WoD

Non-story Peter...as it was in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Peter Wolf

I dont honestly care either as i hardly go to pubs anymore.      I am used to going outside if i eat out if i want a fag.[   I had better rephrase that !]     a roll up i mean.       I dont know where you are but  it is imminent.       but like you say ,a non event.

Buttonman

The clever part of the legislation was to make the pub liable for the fine rather than the smoker (although I think they get a small fine too). I've not seen a scrap of hassle from it after a year in Scotland and the pub is a far nicer place as a result.

If I was picky I'd enforce it at doorways too as you usually have to push through a hazy cloud to get in the place.

My smoker pals like it too as they get more chances to chat up the ladies while having a puff.

As Peter Griffin says 'If she smokes, she pokes'.

Judge Merlin

I guess I picked a bad week to start smokin

Peter Wolf

Hi     I am only a light smoker.  [rolling tobacco]   I hate smoky pubs etc as well.      I dont mind going outside or standing in a doorway as long as i am not hassled.                  and i question how a pub would stop you doing that either unless they clearly stated that you couldnt do it and even then i question it as being unreasonable.

But i am sure thats not what happens elsewhere as you arent complaining about it.

JOE SOAP

***My smoker pals like it too as they get more chances to chat up the ladies while having a puff. ***

...so they like it both ways?

Peter Wolf

I picked up on that as well.

Trough

>>My smoker pals like it too as they get more chances to chat up the ladies while having a puff.

I believe the Irish dubbed it "smirting".

johnnystress

I'm in Ireland and I gave up smoking  when the ban came in ( never looked back , subscribe to my pamphlet* it will change your life).

I find when I go out to the pub I always end up in the smoking section/beer garden. It's the best part of the pub, loads of people and you can actually hear conversations.

* contains one sentence: "just stop smoking"

JOE SOAP

It's great that you can still wear, the next day, the same clothes you wore to the pub the night before and not smell like a chimney stack.

House of Usher

As Peter Griffin says 'If she smokes, she pokes'.

It was actually Lois who said that. But the sentiment's the same.
STRIKE !!!

Buttonman

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/mrfurious.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

"Please don't correct me, it sickens me"

Peter Wolf

only  when i am  i am in the wrong  !