Main Menu

Comics about Romans?

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 February, 2010, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Peter Richardson is scanning in Wulf the Briton by Ron Embleton and doing some restoration too. He hopes one day to get it all collected but is posting it online for all, starting here:

http://cloud-109.blogspot.com/2010/01/wulf-briton-forgotten-masterpiece.html

And the rest:
http://cloud-109.blogspot.com/search?q=wulf
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Wow Emperor that's a find. You really do see all the comicsnet with your tendrils of information... or something like that.

Thanks for that

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 February, 2010, 08:36:43 PM
Wow Emperor that's a find. You really do see all the comicsnet with your tendrils of information... or something like that.

Well I was messing around with an Ethernet cable, whilst accidentally nude, I slipped, was struck by a bolt of lightning moments later and the rest is history.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Colin YNWA

I hope for public decencies sake you've now gone wireless and don't leave ya cable exposed?

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 February, 2010, 08:47:58 PM
I hope for public decencies sake you've now gone wireless and don't leave ya cable exposed?

Only in the privacy of my own home. Don't want to get accused of flashing, especially when they are really sparks.

mogzilla

The Trigan Empire was sort of space romans wasnt it? This is WAAAAY overdue for a reprint somewhere perhaps rebellion could fish the rights to reprint it ?? pretty please???

Emperor

Quote from: mogzilla on 24 February, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
The Trigan Empire was sort of space romans wasnt it? This is WAAAAY overdue for a reprint somewhere perhaps rebellion could fish the rights to reprint it ?? pretty please???

It has been reprinted recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigan_Empire#Collected_editions

However, like the Storm volumes also from The Don Lawrence Collection, they aren't cheap - you are looking at €50 for a 100 (ish) page hardcover or all twelve in a fancy set for €575. I assume this is more of a fan-produced work of top-quality issues for the dedicated collector (as the same people produce the Storm volume) and it may be someone will eventually produce a more accessible range of volumes. Until then I'll have to stick to the Look & Learns I've got.

http://www.triganempire.co.uk/collection/en/index.php

Digging around a bit I find that Look & Learn have been bought by a separate company but the rights to The Trigan Empire still rest with IPC:

http://www.lookandlearn.com/licensing/index.php

As high quality scans of the pages must now exist in their entirety they'd be foolish not to release these, the example I;d point to are Titan's Classic Dan Dare books, where you get a 100 page hardcover for a tenner. If IPC aren't interested I bet Titan would be, and if they did that then Storm can't be far behind (as that again is all scanned and translated into English).

Colin YNWA

I'd guess (not knowing a thing about this stuff) that the reason we won't see a Trigon Empire edition similar to the Dan Dare one's is it has no mass market recognition. You can stick Dan Dare on the shelves at Blackwells and people know what it is. Trigon Empire on the other hand is very niche but has a known market of dedicated fans that will shellout a load for a high end reproduction (the previous collections shift for a bomb on eBay) thus making this type of product viable rather than a standard hardcore like the Dan Dare ones.

Queen Firey-Bou

I think we need a comic about the tribal Picts whupping those Romans backsides up north here. Who needs that fangled sanitation & roads when you have rain, midges & whiskey? ( not much changed in 1500+ years then

Daveycandlish

QuoteWho needs that fangled sanitation & roads when you have rain, midges & whiskey

You know when you mis-read something? I could have sworn at first glance that said 'rain,midgets & whiskey'!

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Queen Firey-Bou

Quoterain,midgets & whiskey

aye that too, its the poor diet & inbreeding.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Queen Firey-Bou on 21 March, 2010, 06:43:53 PM
I think we need a comic about the tribal Picts whupping those Romans backsides up north here. Who needs that fangled sanitation & roads when you have rain, midges & whiskey? ( not much changed in 1500+ years then

You might want to track down BRATH, it was a short lived series about a more realistic, unwarped Slaine wannabe. Though, he is Tattoed, musculer, long dark hair like Conan.

Not exactly a Pict as I recognise them, but there are some in there somewhere. looking more colourfully tattoed & feral than the regular Celts if there is such a devision betweent the two peoples. Forgive me if I made a mistake saying that.

There's plenty of Roman Legionaires getting their ass's handed to them, & even a drive-by performed on a Chariot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brath_(comics)

{b]Cross-gen[/b] indicates that each character under that title is all part of a multi-jointed universe. I think that means that at some point in each Cross-Gen series. It cross's over to all the other ones.

In conclusion, lets not forget Slaine: Demon Killer

Need I say more ;)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 16 February, 2010, 06:40:04 PM
It's a toughie as Rome has such a bad press. I think one way is like th e new movie make the Roman soldiers just ordinary. Geezers doing a thankless job in a big machine. We tend to sympathise with the little guy even if he is slave owning serial vomiter.

Or make the baddies so horrendous any human rule seems better say, demonic/vampiric/lovecraftian forces.

Some of your commentry, might almost be Slaine.

Thinking that the Romans were Cythrons, & Vikings were Formorians on Halloween. Of course, those pepoles might not use that particular holiday, but I'm just assuming they would for the sake of the point I'm making.

Mike Gloady

Of course, there actually WERE roads before Rome came to Britain you know.  Just not as good.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mardroid

Indeed. There were some pretty decent roads in Ireland too. Log ones, but since they were built to bridge swamp-land they were pretty innovative at the time. Even by Roman standards. (They're still being dug up.)

That Barbarian series hosted by Terry Jones was very interesting. It showed how many of the so called 'barbarian' tribes (including Celtic peoples) were in their own way as advanced, some ways, more advanced, than the Romans. Even things often credited to the Romans were initially done, or stolen from them. Mining for example.

That's not to say what the Romans achieved wasn't pretty extraordinary though.